Tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nytrozula

Reaction score
Will need to replace the tires before the summer. any recommendations on a decent replacement or is stock still a good choice?

The Stock tires are Horrible for anything but straight line riding.
My favorite combo is a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45V front and a Shinko Tour master 230 rear.
With that combo I have and No problems keeping up with or even ahead of most guys that spent a thousand or more to switch over to radials.

I think he means on the gen 2? You basically only have two choices, the stockers or Shinko verge 011s.

Doesn't seem to matter which brand back tire I choose for my 09 beast - they all come in at less than 2000 miles before needing to be replaced, for some reason. I run the 240 wide rear tire on mine, and have another Shinko ready to be installed when the current one is depleted. My wife has some sort of mental block against Shinko, and therefore, I try to keep another Dunlop Q2 or Q3 in stock for her 09's rear tire replacement needs.

I've run 120/70-r18 Shinko 011 Verge on the front. I've had Metzler ME880's, and also, the stock Dunlops. None seem to outlast any other on the front of my bike either. I can usually get upwards of 4K miles out of them.

Sorry my reply above is for the Gen 1.
I have no clue what works best on a Gen 2.

The dealer wants almost $100 more to replace the tires on the bike opposed to bringing them in off the bike! Is it difficult to remove the tires from the bike? If not, what are the steps.

The dealer wants almost $100 more to replace the tires on the bike opposed to bringing them in off the bike! Is it difficult to remove the tires from the bike? If not, what are the steps.

Labor rates around here is about $100 an hour. Off and then on could take close to an hour I guess. (they probably have a minimum charge anyway)

You could easily do it yourself if you have a way to pick up the bike. The best method would be a pit stand with spools installed on the bike. Otherwise it can get a little sketchy because there is no real easy/safe way to lift the front and the back with a single jack.

Shinkos are the way to go...much better than stock and less expensive.

Use the money you save to have the dealer do the whole job.

Easy job. Check the how to section, rear wheel removal is covered. I don't remember if front is but, it's easy.

I put the bike on the centerstand and put jack stands under the frame sliders.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Which Shinko tire should I be looking at? I prefer a good all around tire that has decent traction in wet weather if needed.

Two decent tires for < $200 is a 'good deal.'

The caveat is that none of those tires fit your bike (correctly), assuming you have stock wheels.

Did u get the shinkos mounted yet? How are they? I think I'm ordering a set, my last Bridgestone rear alone was $178

I have not mounted them yet. I'm probably going to run my Battleax tires for at least another 1000 miles and get as much rubber as I can out of them.

I read that using a 55 tire instead of a 50 (200/50R18) would help to correct the speedo error. Has anyone verified this? the same person also states that it increases the top speed and better fuel economy. The only problem I have come across it the tire size is not very popular. I've found one supplier so far. Avon. Anyone heard of Avon? any disadvantage to a taller tire? If this is correct, why did Yamaha use the 50?

Back