Tires?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
Just purchased an '01 Max, and usually my first priority with a used bike is new tires. I've always been prone to either Metzlers or the Dunlop K591 series, but I've been out of the game for several years. Is there a commonly accepted "best" tire for all around duty on the Max?

I liked the 591's also on my previous Max. They do not make them in the Vmax size anymore. I went to radials so I cannot be of help. Do a search on "Tires" and you will get a lot of info.

was just roaming thru the Metzler site, found it odd that they recommend the me880 rear with a Lastertec front, rather than matching. Seems strange to me, guess I'll have to do some of my least favorite stuff..... research. Blech.

I ran the Lasertech front with an ME880 rear and it was a great combo. I run radials now, but when I was running the bias ply tires that was the best combo I came across.

I'm really happy with the Shinko T230 Tourmaster tires I've just fitted, and they were a fraction of the price of the Metzelers. Still V-rated, grippy as glue very decent tires for the money!
Went for 110/90-18 front and 170/80-15 rear - that fits perfectly without any mod.

I ran the Lasertech front with an ME880 rear and it was a great combo. I run radials now, but when I was running the bias ply tires that was the best combo I came across.

I'm reading here that several riders have gone over to radials. Doesn't this a cause a problem with the Max's less than rigid frame?

I'm reading here that several riders have gone over to radials. Doesn't this a cause a problem with the Max's less than rigid frame?

Bear in mind that to go radial you'll have to change your rear wheel to 17" or 18" (big bucks) as no-one makes radials in the stock 15" size!

And thus, the mod monkey gets ya and the real fun begins! Making the max the way you want in style, performance and handling is up to you, but there's a ton of info on this site that will make your goal alot easier, welcome to the forum.

Mike

If you aren't moving up to new wheels and radials just yet, I'd have to agree with naughtyG on the Shinkos. I'm also running the T230 Tourmaster 170 80-15 and like it...probably the widest tire you can pop on there without modding the swingarm.

Plus 3 on the 'Chink-O's'....Best buy out there, and a pretty decent tire.

Replaced my factory Bridgestones with 'em, and I have zero complaints so far...

Philthy

When you do change the rims, these Pirelli radials are awesome.

Running them now and feel better that the Metzeler Roadtechs.

Attachments

• img_diablo_strada.jpg
    img_diablo_strada.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 10
  • imgDet_diablo_strada.jpg
    imgDet_diablo_strada.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DIABLO_STRADA.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 7
Ok, Everyones seems to like the Shinkos, but what kind of mileage can you get on them?

Ok, Everyones seems to like the Shinkos, but what kind of mileage can you get on them?

Keeping in mind the variables Hatter, I fully expect to get at least 6K out of the back tire, if not more. I don't do burnouts, but I don't baby it either.

Keeping in mind the variables Hatter, I fully expect to get at least 6K out of the back tire, if not more. I don't do burnouts, but I don't baby it either.

That sounds like me, too. I got 6k out of my factory Dunlop, barely.

Well they may be just as good as "premium" tires, something in my blood rebels against buying cheap tires (and helmets for that matter). Ending up ordering the Metzlers today from chapparal at a pretty decent price. Thanks for the input guys.

Back