To Paint Engine...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmem8

Reaction score
If I want to paint my engine due to engine looking ugly, I obviously have to remove it and while it's out can I adjust valve clearances?

Will I need to buy any gaskets? and does anyone reccomend I do anything else while I am going to that trouble (don't need any engine work only 13k miles done) ?
Cheers Lads
icon7.gif

If I want to paint my engine due to engine looking ugly, I obviously have to remove it and while it's out can I adjust valve clearances?

Will I need to buy any gaskets? and does anyone reccomend I do anything else while I am going to that trouble (don't need any engine work only 13k miles done) ?
Cheers Lads
icon7.gif

Too early for valves but it will not hurt to check them.
Gaskets? Guess not besides valve cover gaskets.

If I had my engine out I would address the transmission 2nd gear problem before it starts jumping out of gear. Oil pump O-Ring problem also if it hasn't been done already.

HD oiling, DD Clutch, Segment Upgrade. Trans is probably ok but you could do an overdrive upgrade we offer (and we have all the other noted parts).

Sean

If I had my engine out I would address the transmission 2nd gear problem before it starts jumping out of gear. Oil pump O-Ring problem also if it hasn't been done already.

you would dismantle the cases and get an undercut transmission if there is no sign of issues?

and all you wanted to do was paint the engine,hahah the monkey is trying to bite, better feed him

Yes, I would, I would get Moreley's cut gears and inspect shifting forks while I was into it. If my 85 ever starts jumping out of gear , I would part it out and buy a newer Vmax. They say with Morley's modified transmission when you shift gears it feels like it is being sucked into the next gear, not the big clunk like I/we have now.

Yes, I would, I would get Moreley's cut gears and inspect shifting forks while I was into it. If my 85 ever starts jumping out of gear , I would part it out and buy a newer Vmax. They say with Morley's modified transmission when you shift gears it feels like it is being sucked into the next gear, not the big clunk like I/we have now.

shift segment, clutch, even HD oiling make sense with an engine pulled but i'd definitely disagree saying anyone when they pull their engine should do the undercut gears. its what, at least $1000 in parts if you do it yourself? plus tons of labor.

Just to show how lazy I am, I'd just paint it in the frame and say to hell with any of that.

If you feel like you gotta pull it to do a proper paint job then yes, you may as well check the valves. Cover gaskets should be all you need.

I'd also check the orange o-ring on the elbow in the oil pan. I'd put in a COO pop stopper kit or the HD oiling kit from Sean. $40 or $100 respectively. If you are gonna do Seans kit, you may as well spend $10 on a new friction plate and find a used clutch spring and do the DD mod.

Other than that, I'd leave well enough alone.

shift segment, clutch, even HD oiling make sense with an engine pulled but i'd definitely disagree saying anyone when they pull their engine should do the undercut gears. its what, at least $1000 in parts if you do it yourself? plus tons of labor.

jcmem8 will have to sort thru all suggestions made and choose what he thinks is best and what he can afford I'm sure. My suggestion about doing the undercut gears happens to be #1 on my priority list. Different people set different priorities and have different opinions. I'm sure if you asked someone that has had to pull their engine to replace parts needed to fix their 2nd gear popping out the original question posted by jcmem8 they would recommend what I suggested in my first post in this thread. He may never have an issue with his tranny, and I hope he doesn't, but the Vmax tranny problem is a known issue. I think I Sean may have told someone the whole gear set was a little over 500 bucks plus gaskets, not sure. Why let a sleeping dog lay ?

jcmem8 will have to sort thru all suggestions made and choose what he thinks is best and what he can afford I'm sure. My suggestion about doing the undercut gears happens to be #1 on my priority list. Different people set different priorities and have different opinions. I'm sure if you asked someone that has had to pull their engine to replace parts needed to fix their 2nd gear popping out the original question posted by jcmem8 they would recommend what I suggested in my first post in this thread. He may never have an issue with his tranny, and I hope he doesn't, but the Vmax tranny problem is a known issue. I think I Sean may have told someone the whole gear set was a little over 500 bucks plus gaskets, not sure. Why let a sleeping dog lay ?

i'm going to disagree with you here.

Asking someone what else could be done WHILE the engine is in pieces is completely different than just removing the engine from the frame. its like saying should i replace my piston rings when i change my oil this time because they 'might' go. If he has had issues with 2nd gear then by all means, my points are mute. I also agree your other oiling suggestions are right on the money if the engine is out.

I also dont' want to panic anyone into thinking their tranny is a ticking timebomb.

and i'll let sean comment but i think a straight replacement is $500. undercut is $800 or so plus whatever.

Oh my God! you guys are Funny!
Ha Ha you all get excited when you here an engine is coming out:rofl_200:
I just want my engine to shine a little, it runs well and 2nd gear goes in perfecty at the moment. I do appreciate the genuine advice though and
yes we all have different oppinions so we give different advice. If I had heaps of money I would do all the mods:biglaugh:
Maybe I can paint it while its still in there.
Jared:clapping:

So, does this mean you're not going to do the big bore, EFI and chain drive also ? :th_drink:You know Sean Morley has a block off kit that protects the parts of engine you don't want paint on he loans out, get those from him and buy a roll of masking tape and paint away.

Minimum cost is $550 with shipping of the trans (not needed in my opinion) plus gaskets/seals (which I would consider doing while its out - all but head and tensioner gaskets).

Sean

So, does this mean you're not going to do the big bore, EFI and chain drive also ? :th_drink:You know Sean Morley has a block off kit that protects the parts of engine you don't want paint on he loans out, get those from him and buy a roll of masking tape and paint away.

I wish I could put EFI and chain on it:clapping:, Idon't think he will lend to me since I live on the other side of the world:confused2:

The parts will fit in a small package and as long as you pay the shipping I don't mind sending them there and back. I have a set is Israel right now!

Sean

The parts will fit in a small package and as long as you pay the shipping I don't mind sending them there and back. I have a set is Israel right now!

For real.... do you think the postage would be expensive?:ummm:
Cheers,
Jared

Back