Top speed???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbidcow55

Reaction score
Hey guys, What is a stock max with a k&n filter run flat out? 0-60? Does anybody have some sort of chart that shows speeds and times? Or a drag strip slip? Thanks
:rocket bike:
:bicycle:

My friend Mark Hayward ran the 1/4 last friday at 11.9 @ 113. I'm pretty sure his bike is stock. He might have a filter kit, not sure. I'll ask next time I talk to him.

Best time on my Vmax was 10.98 @ 121. 60' time was 1.66 sec

Thats with the front end strapped, Kerker exhaust, one of our jet kits, and 17" rear tire.

Most vmaxes run mid to high 11's with an experienced rider and low 12's with a moderate rider.

I've pegged the speedo but realistic top speed is between 150 and 155 at redline even though the guage will read higher. With my overdrive on the dyno quit recording at 200mph though without some serious engine upgrades you won't have the HP to pull it there.

Sean Morley

Last edited:
0-60 I have no idea.

I don't do top speed anymore since I ate it at 145 on a V65 due to a severe tank slapper about 17 years ago. I haven't had the Max over 130. The bike just does not feel like it is in it's "comfort" zone anyhow at those speeds, not like a sportbike anyhow. And I'm sure not.

Quarter mile times on my basically stock bike are in the 11.50-11.55 range. I have a lot of passes under my belt so I don't think it's ever gonna go any faster without some serious mods.

Like maybe a drastic diet for me.

I weigh 230 pounds.

Last edited:
Had my Vmax indicating 140 yesterday... How accurate are the clocks from the factory? I am running a 110/80/18 radial front compared to the 90 that is stock so it will read a little faster too...

Just wondering if anybody verified one with GPS...:confused2:

At 140 my bike was as stable as anything I have ridden at those speeds... Granted mine has been lowered and runs on Race-Tech with emulators up front and Progressives in back with radials but man the thing just pulled and pulled and was as steady as a rock...:punk: :banana:

Best I've gotten is an indicated 140-142'ish. My max is certainly not comfortable there, a fair ammount of head shake and I wouldn't have pushed that hard if I had another way to get away from a blown mustang trying to run my ass over for whatever reason. I did exit off the highway first chance I had though.

Not I've rutinely takin the max to 125-130. Never had it at a track (none anywhere near me) so I couldn't give 1/4 mile time.

Mine doesn't pull well after 115-120. Think I need a bigger main.

0-60 I have no idea.

I don't do top speed anymore since I ate it at 145 on a V65 due to a severe tank slapper about 17 years ago. I haven't had the Max over 130. The bike just does not feel like it is in it's "comfort" zone anyhow at those speeds, not like a sportbike anyhow. And I'm sure not.

Quarter mile times on my basically stock bike are in the 11.25-11.50 range. I have a lot of passes under my belt so I don't think it's ever gonna go any faster without some serious mods.

Like maybe a drastic diet for me.

I weigh 230 pounds.

how did you survive that crash @145 rusty?

Best time on my Vmax was 10.98 @ 121. 60' time was 1.66 sec

Thats with the front end strapped, Kerker exhaust, one of our jet kits, and 17" rear tire.

Most vmaxes run mid to high 11's with an experienced rider and low 12's with a moderate rider.

I've pegged the speedo but realistic top speed is between 150 and 155 at redline even though the guage will read higher. With my overdrive on the dyno quit recording at 200mph though without some serious engine upgrades you won't have the HP to pull it there.

Sean Morley

:eek:h yeah:Overdrive? Tell me more please.

it's done using yamaha parts with mating work on the gear dogs. You have to remove the engine and open it up to do the swap. Essentually it's like going from 4th to 7th when you shift.

3000 rpm = 60 mph
4000 rpm = 80 mph
5000 rpm = 100 mph and so on

Now, it's easier to do a rear differential swap which lowers rpm's by 10% but it effects the full range of the transmission where my overdrive is only a 5th gear change.

Typical cost is about $600 for the parts and labor but that is also getting the transmission completely undercut too which is half that.

Sean

it's done using yamaha parts with mating work on the gear dogs. You have to remove the engine and open it up to do the swap. Essentually it's like going from 4th to 7th when you shift.

3000 rpm = 60 mph
4000 rpm = 80 mph
5000 rpm = 100 mph and so on

Now, it's easier to do a rear differential swap which lowers rpm's by 10% but it effects the full range of the transmission where my overdrive is only a 5th gear change.

Typical cost is about $600 for the parts and labor but that is also getting the transmission completely undercut too which is half that.

Sean

This could be what I am looking for. With my 17" rear wheel this would readjust highway cruising revs to a less buzzy range.

how did you survive that crash @145 rusty?

By the grace of God!

I was wearing work boots and a good helmet, no gloves, no jacket. Fire retardant nomex coverall which are great for arc flash/fire but offer zero abrasion resistence (I work in a plant where fire retardent clothing is mandatory)

My helmet took about 13 separate impacts. I would be DEAD,DEAD,DEAD without it.

I did not hit any thing or bounce off anything but the concrete roadbase. From point of impact to when I stopped was about 200 feet I was told later. I had road rash over 30% of my body equivalent to 2nd and 3rd degree burns in severity. I did one skin graft on my calf and all else healed on it's own. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital, one of them in a burn unit which is how severe road rash is treated.

At 28 and in excellent shape somehow I manged not to break a single bone....that's where the God part came in I believe.

Rusty

We call you people LUCKY...

A lot of people are involved in MUCH less severe accidents and don't live to talk about it.

I think the Radial tires really help keep it steady on the top end...

I bought an 86 yamaha Radian new in 86.I was 18 or 19,my first road bike.About 3 months after I got it I was out drinking and someone wanted a ride home and next thing I know its 2 days later and I wake up in the hospital.Cop was standing there waiting.I got busted big time.DWI(.3 something) and a bunch of other charges.REAL STUPID!
There was 3 sharp turns in a row and on the last one I hit the curb and went down.The cops claimed that they found me over 300 ft from where the bike hit the curb.I had no helmet on and landed on a sidewalk face first.Other than the roadrashed face I had no injuries.The passenger flew into a grass field and just got bruised up.The cop also wrote me up for 140-145 mph(geniuses figured from how far I flew).It almost totalled the bike but they rebuilt it while I healed.The very first place I went when I got it back was those turns.Cranked that bastard for everything it had through there and never looked back.I wasn't going to let it scare me.I do not drink and drive anymore no matter what.Live and learn Right?SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE,Right Mark!

I bought an 86 yamaha Radian new in 86.I was 18 or 19,my first road bike.About 3 months after I got it I was out drinking and someone wanted a ride home and next thing I know its 2 days later and I wake up in the hospital.Cop was standing there waiting.I got busted big time.DWI(.3 something) and a bunch of other charges.REAL STUPID!
There was 3 sharp turns in a row and on the last one I hit the curb and went down.The cops claimed that they found me over 300 ft from where the bike hit the curb.I had no helmet on and landed on a sidewalk face first.Other than the roadrashed face I had no injuries.The passenger flew into a grass field and just got bruised up.The cop also wrote me up for 140-145 mph(geniuses figured from how far I flew).It almost totalled the bike but they rebuilt it while I healed.The very first place I went when I got it back was those turns.Cranked that bastard for everything it had through there and never looked back.I wasn't going to let it scare me.I do not drink and drive anymore no matter what.Live and learn Right?SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE,Right Mark!

Owe... :surprise:

back when my max was bone stock i maxed out my speedo at 140 mph. :punk: the gps told the real story though.......it was really only 135 mph. my buddy stood on the side of the road and video taped me on the fly bye at speed. one of these days i am gonna have to get my bike vidz uploaded to my computer so i can post em up here. :coolgleamA:

When I had my new stock 85' it would do 149mph not a mph more. At the track the best time was 10.97@121 I think. 11.25 was more the average. I haven't taken the 99' over 220kph yet. This max does not seem as strong as my old one.:confused2: The Hindle exhaust improved things but still not the pull I remember.

Latest posts

Back