Triumph Project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURBOVMAX

Reaction score
My friend bought a brand new 1970 Triumph Bonneville T120 when he got out of the service and I've been bugging him for 20 years to sell it to me. Well last week out of the blue he says do you want to buy it? I nearly dropped dead. 69-70 are considered the best years for the Bonneville. I've always been a big Steve McQueen fan. Anyway it's been sitting for a long time, but it's all there waiting for restoration. It will look like this someday. Anybody into Triumph's?

70-T120-1.jpg

Last edited:
ya. I love Triumphs. I'd like one of 'em new Tiger 1050 right now..

How does your Bonnie look at this time?

Gonna pick it up this weekend... I'll take some pics and post them when I get it. Haven't seen it in a while... it's been sitting covered in a garage for a long long time. I really like the new ones and their really not that expensive. What do they want for the Tiger? Triumphs done a real nice job of keeping the retro look.

I have a 1968 TR6R 650 that has everything done except putting back it together. It was taken down to the bare frame including removal of all hardware. All replacement parts are OEM except wheels and spokes. Took years to track down. Thank God for the internet. The paint is done (Cycle Colors before they went out of business), every item except the tank and fenders was powdercoated including wheel hubs (over 100 separate items), new wheels and spokes in the proper angles (78, 90 and 110) instead of all 90 degrees. Had custom made in stainless steel by Buchanan in England. The spokes were not polished so they would look original. Way too many items to relate here. I picked this particular year / model because I love the package rack on the tank. The last year it was available on the Bonneville was 1965. The last year on the TR6 was 1968. (USA versions). Upgrades were made where they cannot be seen (tapered roller bearings instead of loose ball bearings for the steering head for example). Some day I will get it back together........

Should be a great project, there is a bit of a cult following here for the old bikes and some outstanding restores getting about.

I have a 1968 TR6R 650 that has everything done except putting back it together. It was taken down to the bare frame including removal of all hardware. All replacement parts are OEM except wheels and spokes. Took years to track down. Thank God for the internet. The paint is done (Cycle Colors before they went out of business), every item except the tank and fenders was powdercoated including wheel hubs (over 100 separate items), new wheels and spokes in the proper angles (78, 90 and 110) instead of all 90 degrees. Had custom made in stainless steel by Buchanan in England. The spokes were not polished so they would look original. Way too many items to relate here. I picked this particular year / model because I love the package rack on the tank. The last year it was available on the Bonneville was 1965. The last year on the TR6 was 1968. (USA versions). Upgrades were made where they cannot be seen (tapered roller bearings instead of loose ball bearings for the steering head for example). Some day I will get it back together........

Cool! I'd like to see it when you get it together. Think I may have a some questions for you once I get my mitts on it... If you don't mind my asking. He's pretty good about taking care of things but I'm sure I'll need lots of parts. He's got everything right down to the original shop manual. He said he changed the bars and still has the originals. Nice thing... everythings there. I know from restoring cars, chasing parts can be a pain in the butt. He did say it needed a head light.... says his ex wife broke it.

Should be a great project, there is a bit of a cult following here for the old bikes and some outstanding restores getting about.

I haven't really started looking into old Triumphs as this kinda caught me by surprise. The internet is a wonderful thing eh. It's a keeper for sure, Gonna take my time with this one and do it right. I just noticed you don't have a nice guy award in your upper right hand corner? Lets see if we can get your mod monkey a friend.

That looks like a great project Gary, especially since it's all there!

I had a couple 'Trumpets' back in the day....a '66 Trophy 500 and a '59 pre-unit 650.

If only Mr Lucas (aka The Prince of Darkness) hadn't done the wiring.......! :biglaugh:

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

danny

my pop buddy, whos house i was at over the weekend, has a 72 bonneville that he restored. looks very nice.

Looks pretty good!

How far are you gonna go with it? I mean, are you looking to repaint/powdercoat everything, tear apart the whole bike and make it like new. Or, are you going to clean and polish and do the best with what you have and replace only what is absolutely necessary?

Looks pretty good!

How far are you gonna go with it? I mean, are you looking to repaint/powdercoat everything, tear apart the whole bike and make it like new. Or, are you going to clean and polish and do the best with what you have and replace only what is absolutely necessary?

Gonna take it right down to the frame and restore it better than new.

wow that's in amazing condition for the year. You will have a lot of fun for sure ;-)

I'm like a kid who just found out he had two peckers... fun for sure. My buddy never sells anything and he takes care of everything this way.

Gonna take it right down to the frame and restore it better than new.

Hmmmm....lets see. Intercooled Single turbo, stroked big bore, EFI, programmable direct fire ignition w/ COP's(all TWO of them)....
That'll get ya started. Lemme know if you need more "help"...:eusa_dance:

Hmmmm....lets see. Intercooled Single turbo, stroked big bore, EFI, programmable direct fire ignition w/ COP's(all TWO of them)....
That'll get ya started. Lemme know if you need more "help"...:eusa_dance:

You forgot the 300 series tire. :biglaugh: no just plain Jayne 60 hp just as she is. Hey that's what I'll call her... Sweet Jayne

I luv Triumphs.

Attachments

• 82170001.jpg
    82170001.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 82170005.jpg
    82170005.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 82170018.jpg
    82170018.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 12
Back