Turn Down My Kerker and Paint Nearing Completion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I finally have all the paint work nearing completion on SkullDuggery. Well, the first set anyway. I have to add some detail to what's painted but the first set's the same color now... This top covers the original 89... The color is Retro Red with Iridescent Flake Clear.. So Far...

I'm doing another top cover but it's gonna take some time and I didn't want to fell like I had to rush it... I want it to turn out nice.... I'm gonna use a 1990 faus cover for this... I've mounted hood scoops on cars and a few other things but I could really use some thoughts about getting this skull mounted to the cover as neatly and cleanly as possible.. Less rework the better...:confused2:

I had some Turn Downs that I made up for my 94 but decided to go another direction... They're Experimental and may Wilt under testing conditions. If so, I have another plan for that too. The one I installed was machined out of PVC.. I ran the bike with fans on the radiator for quite a while and it survived. Real test will be a ride today...:ummm:

BTW, the picture titles pretty well describes what stage things are at...

Attachments

• Top Cover.jpg
    Top Cover.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Top Cover 1.jpg
    Top Cover 1.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Skull on a Stick.jpg
    Skull on a Stick.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Half Skull To Be Filled.jpg
    Half Skull To Be Filled.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Split Skull Laying on a Faus Cover.jpg
    Split Skull Laying on a Faus Cover.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Skull Filled and Taped to a Top Cover For Shaping.jpg
    Skull Filled and Taped to a Top Cover For Shaping.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Final Fill Before Sanding The Back.jpg
    Final Fill Before Sanding The Back.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Turn Down.jpg
    Turn Down.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Turn Down 1.jpg
    Turn Down 1.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 72
I don't care much for skulls but I appreciate your imagination and thought process on attaching one to the tank. Did you see the tank someone did with the two screaming skulls molded into the tank ? I thought that one took some skill and thought prior to the final stage and looked very professional. :punk:

gennro: Thanks:biglaugh:

Rollie: I saw that cover with 2 skulls but I wanted to be different.:confused2:

Rusty: The Turn Down blew off on an Interstate run so PVC's not an answer...
The screws were still there though.:bang head: Back to the drawing board..

Deleted unnecessary comment.....

Finished the first Faus Cover... Pictures below... Bad Lighting at night.
Guess I should start earlier and quit finishing so late..

Attachments

• SkullDuggery Top Cover.jpg
    SkullDuggery Top Cover.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 45
  • SkullDuggery Top Cover 1.jpg
    SkullDuggery Top Cover 1.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
c'mon pvc isn't going to get that hot on the faux cover.

its not my cup of tea either, but i can respect the man's effort and determination.

The PVC was the turndown tips I believe. intersting choice.

good work on the cover, anything different is cool wit me.

Hey Dave

Just a couple questions. What did you use to fill the skull back and why do you have your shocks upside down?... :)

That's the oil/nitrogen reservoir for the shock itself.

Chris

D'oh. Shoulda known that. I thought maybe it was a burple container
user-image-1179445742_thumb.jpg

Deleted other comments as un-needed.

The shocks aren't upside down, there are several sets available that are supposed to be mounted that way.

Last edited:
Looks good Dave! Love the friggin metal flake in the paint! And for those arguing about the PVC turn downs, I believe Dave stated in the first post that they were just "mockups" .

I'm into skulls so I like the concept, I'm just not sure about the colors so I'll have to wait and see it completed.
As for turn downs, the Bike Week before I sold my last Vmax I wanted something to compete with some of the straight pipe Harley's my friends were riding. Went to a local muffler shop and had him form me a stepped turn down coming off the pipe, no muffler. It was a pain to get tuned good enough to ride through Daytona but once I did, holy hell it was loud. Especially when you cracked it open. Maybe a local shop might be able to form one for you.

Man, this thread's had it's ups and downs...:rofl_200: It's OK, I'm old but I still have broad shoulders... As with other inventors, I'll survive the ridicule to succeed...

The PVC Turn Downs were "Experimental"... I made 2 of them to show different muffler shops the concept. I have a machinist friend working with the idea, all the muffler shops were wussy about trying to actually make what I wanted.. People riding behind me have mentioned that my pipes are blowing exhaust right in their faces at stoplights... I care about them and I'll do what it takes to keep from blasting Carbon Monoxide up their noses..:10_6_8:

I didn't mount the shocks. PO did that. Preload is on the bottom so I believe they're right. They work amazingly well so even if it's wrong, it's right...:confused2:

I'm not real sure of the color either. It depends on the light and viewing angle what shade of red you actually see... From a light Cranberry to a dry blood red... In the garage during the daytime everything that's painted looks like a different color. With the bike in the sun, it's all the same.. Iridescence: (also known as goniochromism) is generally known as the property of certain surfaces which appear to change color as the angle of view or the light direction change... Stole that from Wikipedia...:biglaugh:
Nobody mentioned the Faus Cover I actually finished????:ummm:

I like the sound of straight pipes on a bike but John Law doesn't care much for them..

Since nobody mentioned the cover you finished I will. :)
I like that one, I just got caught up with the skull one and got side tracked.
I guess I just like the darker greys and blacks with my skulls LOL, although I did like the description dried blood red. Actually tried to mix that color once.

Last edited:
I do so much bleeding when I work on the bikes, the color's stuck in my brain...
It means I've healed enough and can go back to work...

It's FOG Syndrome that causes these injuries, not to be confused with UnCordination...
Although I have some of that too... Injuries abound for me when I'm workin hard...

Skulls are good. Mines all fractured....:rofl_200:

I'm liking it dave, Then again I have always had a thing for demons and skulls. My chopper had them all over it, My Key is the Grim Reaper, etc.

I have a life-sized plastic skull, I can send you at no charge. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while. Here is a picture of it. Maybe you can turn it into a brake light or something.

Attachments

• P1010364.jpg
    P1010364.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Key.jpg
    Key.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Skull.jpg
    Skull.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 12
Oh yeah, that skull would make an awesome tail light. Or even a headlight! Make the turn signals the eye sockets.....

Latest posts

Back