UFO exhaust installation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Finally getting around to installing my new to me UFO exhaust. Its a 4-1 with megaphone. The mid pipe that passes between the centerstand tabs is actually rubbing against the right side tab. I had to run off to work and leave the project so didn't spend a lot of time fiddling. I was just wondering if anyone else had run across the same thing?

Even with the hardware loose, it doesn't seem to want to shift around and give me some clearance on the centerstand tabs. Maybe the answer will be obvious when I get back to it...

Definitely not bad enought to consider cutting anything. The inside bend of the midpipe is just rubbing on the tabs. Maybe once everything is installed it will fall into place. I was having a bit of a hard time getting the mid pipes and Y to come together.

I'm on the way home now. Will have to try again.

Got it together. Couldn't get it to clear the c/s tab. It is slightly rubbing. Nothing severe. No one else out there notice the same thing?

I like the looks of it. Did anyone ever mention these things are loud?

Got it together. Couldn't get it to clear the c/s tab. It is slightly rubbing. Nothing severe. No one else out there notice the same thing?

I like the looks of it. Did anyone ever mention these things are loud?[/QUOTE]:rofl_200:

a post: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28832

You can see here what I did to muffle one of the most-dB-producing 4/1's on the market, the notorious UFO 4/1 Dragstar.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28588&page=2

See posts 17 & 19. The noise difference is dramatic and I left the jetting the same (Dynojet Stage 7) & it doesn't seem to have affected it.

Another post: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28588

Mine had the slightest bit of contact, too. I fiddled w/the exhaust loose trying to get it to clear, but it wouldn't. I suppose you could hit the bracket w/a side grinder to clearance it a bit, & touch-up the paint. I didn't bother. Now, my UFO 4/1 megaphone and the bologna-cut shorty "muffler" both sit in the 'spare parts' area since I adapted another bike's muffler to my UFO. It still has the performance, but I don't need to wear earplugs. Mine is full stage 7 & the UFO 4/1 & my custom can. Nice & quiet. Yes the can is big, but it's stealth compared to the screaming-banshee roar of the UFO-any of their mufflers for their 4/1.

Here are two cans I adapted, and a shot of the UFO 4/1 shorty which is unbearably-loud, just-right for putting the flatulent "tuber-tooter" ('potato-potato') Harleys in their place.

Attachments

• pipe.JPG
    pipe.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1469.jpg
    IMG_1469.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Literbike titanium canister on Gen I VMax.pdf
    119.4 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the reply F-M.
Did you have any issues trying to get the the mid-pipes and collector together at the right angle so the muffler lined up correctly? I got it done but it seemed like a struggle to me. Maybe I was just having a bad day.

Thanks for the reply F-M.
Did you have any issues trying to get the the mid-pipes and collector together at the right angle so the muffler lined up correctly? I got it done but it seemed like a struggle to me. Maybe I was just having a bad day.

Yes, it wasn't 'easy,' I had someone else do it after I trial fitted it & left it loose, he used another guy to help him adjust it for the final fit. The left tube was about a "redhead's" hair off the centerstand tang. One guy held one pipe and the other guy manipulated the other tube for correct angle & depth of insertion. Once-done, it tightened up nicely. The angle for the exhaust can was better than when I had everything on, but not 'optimal.'

Been trying to finish-up my bathroom so I haven't had any time for bike stuff, and we had some areas here where 15" of rain fell in 1 day. My street pavement vanished, it looked like I lived in Venice, and I don't mean FL! Because the area is sand & limestone (oolite) the water level percolates quickly, the standing water is gone a couple of days later nearly everywhere except for maybe a retention area for drainage.

Sorry to hear of your installation issues Mike. You'd think UFO would have learned to make exhaust systems by now.

Same problems with kerker 4-1.....I just chopped of the centre stamd brackets completely

This is typical. You loose the center stand with the Kerker. I don't miss mine at all. If it weren't for the topic showing up in various threads I wouldn't even remember cutting mine off. :biglaugh:

Got home from work today and my wife asked if I can run to the store for a bag of potatoes. I was happy to do it so I could finally do a test ride with the newly installed UFO exhaust.

My first thoughts were HOLY SHIT this thing is loud.
My second thought was that my bike felt like it was way down on power. I got on the highway for about a mile and hit it a little. Bike was running good but the power wasn't what it should be.

Hit the store real quick and when I got on the hwy this time I hit it a little harder and was even more disappointed. Now I'm wondering what could be wrong.

All of a sudden, a brilliant idea hit me. I swear whoever was behind me could see a bright light bulb shining above my helmet... I reached down and flipped my manual vboost switch to open up the butterflies. Full power was instantly restored and a big smile stretched across my face and I rapidly approached the exit ramp with the shift light flashing at me and my backpack flapping in the wind, filled with potatoes.

Now I'm contemplating purchasing earplugs :)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Got home from work today and my wife asked if I can run to the store for a bag of potatoes. I was happy to do it so I could finally do a test ride with the newly installed UFO exhaust.

My first thoughts were HOLY SHIT this thing is loud.
My second thought was that my bike felt like it was way down on power. I got on the highway for about a mile and hit it a little. Bike was running good but the power wasn't what it should be.

Hit the store real quick and when I got on the hwy this time I hit it a little harder and was even more disappointed. Now I'm wondering what could be wrong.

All of a sudden, a brilliant idea hit me. I swear whoever was behind me could see a bright light bulb shining above my helmet... I reached down and flipped my manual vboost switch to open up the butterflies. Full power was instantly restored and a big smile stretched across my face and I rapidly approached the exit ramp with the shift light flashing at me and my backpack flapping in the wind, filled with potatoes.

Now I'm contemplating purchasing earplugs :)

I wore a full face helmet and blue tooth music when riding with it. I also had to cut a little of the center stand for the mid pipes to clear right. Just the lip bent towards the middle on the right one. I didn't want any vibrations.

The cap end with the smaller hole will tone it down. :biglaugh: Glad to see you got it on. :clapping:

I wore a full face helmet and blue tooth music when riding with it. I also had to cut a little of the center stand for the mid pipes to clear right. Just the lip bent towards the middle on the right one. I didn't want any vibrations.

The cap end with the smaller hole will tone it down. :biglaugh: Glad to see you got it on. :clapping:

Exactly the spot I had issues with. Not sure why but id rather not alter the frame... it fits but took time to do it.

Been way too busy lately. The box sat in my office for quite some time. Sooner or later I will try out the other endcap. I'm curious to see how much of a difference it will make.

Looks great on the bike and so far, no scraping exhaust on the ground. I'm happy. Thanks!

mine was 98db at idle, way too loud to get a warrant of fitness, after the mod its down to 88db. mufflers should be advertised with a db level. i got the bigger end and ended up getting the smaller end (and then modifying it).

I didn't realize until the other day that UFO is actually selling 3 or 4 different systems.
They still have my old 4-2 but the cans are different. My old 4-2 isn't any louder than the early marks systems when the cans are properly packed.

Back