unhappy ending pursuit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know.....at one point in time ALL of us have decided to air out the Vmax....and gotten to the 120-140 mph range.

The cop shouldnt have kicked him.

What the hell was he doing to the kid after he had him on the ground? Looked like he cuffing, shackling and hog tying him....:confused2:

The way I read it, the officer himself is responsible for the full ammount, I hope our rider can collect something.......................Tom.

I hope the way that works is the rider gets paid and the officer must reimburse the PD. Hopefully anyway. The finding seems fair with the exception of that cop still being a cop. His termination and litigation for felony assault with a deadly weapon would seem like a no brainer.

If we cant put a bad cop in jail, lets put him on a bike and let me "pull him over" with my DD Suzuki. It looks about as much like a cop car as a Camaro with private plates. Anyone wonder why people sometimes choose to run? It must be just as bad for a good cop to see this as a citizen.

I wonder if the guy on the bike ever got cited for his infractions.

EDIT: Have you guys noticed that Sheriffs departments seem to be considerably more skilled than city cops or highway patrol generally? In my area there seems to be a considerable difference in how courteous and professional they are. I have nothing but respect for honest decent cops but I'm wondering if that's an everywhere thing or just here. If so, does anyone know why? Differences in training, selection et al? I ask because my son aspires to enter law enforcement.

Attachments

• DSC02066.JPG
    DSC02066.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 22
If it was me , I would send that officer a thank you card once a week , every week , just to say.............thank you...:whistlin:

I can't open that site, for some reason, but if it's the one where the sport bike rider innocently passed the unmarked camero, it looked to me like the rider was totally unaware that he was being 'pursued' to begin with. And when he finally noticed the officer behind him, he made immediate arrangements to pull over. (hell, it could have been me riding like that - any number of times) Johnny Law rams him with the car, then ordered him to get back down, and when he made movements to do just that, the officer kicked him down. I think it broke the guys collar bone in the process.

If that's the video in the link, the rider should have gotten much more IMO.

Thats the one.

I was riding my 2 week old 2000 Triumph Sprint ST in MT before the speed limit was a real issue, I was touring and had 2 weeks worth of my shit on the bike and in the bags. At an indicated 165mph (probably more like an actual 150-ish) on an open long straight road with endless pasture and prairie all around me I got pulled over. No idea where this cruiser came from, he was waiting to enter the road as I ripped past him. I knew I was going to take a billy club to the occipital lobe or something. I stopped and pulled my lid off and waited for him to catch up. There were no witnesses and I had not seen another vehicle for miles and miles. It felt lime impending doom and the knot in my stomach was almost crippling.

He pulled up fast and stopped suddenly, the dust from his cruiser wafted past me and I could taste it behind my teeth. I knew I was going to be having a very bad day. He was a big, really big, old, leathery and not-to-be-fucked-with looking guy, He climbed out of his cruiser in what seemed like slow motion, Standing up and putting on his hat. He cast a shadow that would have covered King County. I knew I was going to jail and my new bike would probably be impounded on its side. I think I shit so hard when I saw him I swallowed my tongue just from the vacuum. He only said "son, your a long ways from any medical attention" after what seemed like forever he simply got in and left without so much as checking my ID. I was stunned and never said a word the whole time, I couldnt even muster a thank you. I can only imagine the look on my face. He was emotionless but I'm sure it amused him. My mind was racing while I was doing 53 mph for the next two hours.

I lived in WA at the time, cops are rarely so mellow, in fact it is much like OR and this cop in the video. It really sucked to see that rider abused so badly for indiscretions that I'm guessing we have all perpetrated at some point in time. It will be nice when body cams complement dash cams at all times, we'll all be a bit safer and maybe bring us closer to being able to trust cops again. This was the last time I reached speeds like that. I think I got around 140ish on the vmax but for a short burst. Many of the roads around here look like the one in the pic.

Pic from earlier the same day.

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 12
Maybe the officer should be able to counter-sue for 5 minutes of emotional distress as he had to chase a maniac driver that put everyone on the road at risk. Looked pretty obvious to me that he trying way too hard to get away from the Camaro with all the flashing lights on it! Or how about this? Don't drive like a complete idiot and you won't get your ar$e kicked! Something these scumbags were not taught growing up. I think he got off easy with a measly kick. Should've gotten a beat down worth the $$$.

I hope the way that works is the rider gets paid and the officer must reimburse the PD. Hopefully anyway. The finding seems fair with the exception of that cop still being a cop. His termination and litigation for felony assault with a deadly weapon would seem like a no brainer.

If we cant put a bad cop in jail, lets put him on a bike and let me "pull him over" with my DD Suzuki. It looks about as much like a cop car as a Camaro with private plates. Anyone wonder why people sometimes choose to run? It must be just as bad for a good cop to see this as a citizen.

I wonder if the guy on the bike ever got cited for his infractions.

EDIT: Have you guys noticed that Sheriffs departments seem to be considerably more skilled than city cops or highway patrol generally? In my area there seems to be a considerable difference in how courteous and professional they are. I have nothing but respect for honest decent cops but I'm wondering if that's an everywhere thing or just here. If so, does anyone know why? Differences in training, selection et al? I ask because my son aspires to enter law enforcement.
Usually it is because they start off as city police after cadet training and work their way up to deputy sherriff's or hwy patrol. My father did it that way and is now US Federal Marshall.

Maybe the officer should be able to counter-sue for 5 minutes of emotional distress as he had to chase a maniac driver that put everyone on the road at risk. Looked pretty obvious to me that he trying way too hard to get away from the Camaro with all the flashing lights on it! Or how about this? Don't drive like a complete idiot and you won't get your ar$e kicked! Something these scumbags were not taught growing up. I think he got off easy with a measly kick. Should've gotten a beat down worth the $$$.

It's hard to argue that the rider (Edit: didnt) earn a fist full of tickets, an arrest and a conversation with a judge. Due process is extremely valuable in protecting all citizens, even ones who are in the wrong. We hire officers to protect citizens, cite, testify, apprehend and to use force judiciously and only when absolutely necessary. This rider would have taken a beating from the judge, things are setup this way for a damn good reason.

We hire Judges/Juries and courts to dole out penalties, not the cop. The rider rode like an asshole and earned some legal unhappiness over it, cant argue that at all. I do not appreciate assholes driving like that around other vehicles so I get the anger of the cop.

While hard to argue exhibition on the part of the rider, it is super easy to argue that he did not recognize the cop. No sirens or cherries, they can be very tough to spot, these cars are intentionally designed to be tough to spot. The rider clearly stopped, was completely submissive and not presenting a threat.

The cop first needlessly rammed the bike, obviously intentionally. Theres excessive force and assault with a deadly weapon. Then he gets out of the car with gun drawn and in the face of a submissive unarmed citizen (citizen having broken laws, yes), endangerment and excessive force again. Kicked said submissive suspect in the chest hard enough to break bones through a riding leather. Assault and excessive force again. threw him on the ground outside view of the camera and had plenty of movement and time in excess of what it would take to cuff a submissive suspect.

If the suspect were able to produce a gun and shoot the cop in self-defense he would be justified in so doing but I'm glad that didn't happen. With me on the jury he would stand a decent change of acquittal and an award for damages. This cops actions were outrageous in a shameful display of excessive force. He could have apprehended this suspect professionally instead of like a gangsta'. That is what we pay them for. The crimes of this officer were FAR in excess of those of the rider. I'm a fan of citizens being held accountable when they present risk to the public but this is public service gone horribly wrong. We hired him and trusted him to act within accordance of his job and he betrayed us in spades. If that cop faces charges for assault I want to be on that jury, he might as well say goodbye for a while. He brutally beat and injured a submissive suspect. He needs to not only be fired from his job but a nickle behind bars would be appropriate as well.

Good cops suffer the most from events like this in which citizens are shown that we cant trust cops. Sad really with all the good cops out there that do act professionally and within accordance of their jobs. Sorry about my rants but abuse of power/authority and violation of rights lights me up like nothing else. :bang head:

Years ago I worked a wreck where I cop rammed a biker that was running from him. The bike went down, and the biker went down, and we (the local ambulance service) got called to work the FATALITY.

Usually it is because they start off as city police after cadet training and work their way up to deputy sherriff's or hwy patrol. My father did it that way and is now US Federal Marshall.

I had not thought of cadet training. I know he wants to start with military training and it looks like a disadvantage to not have it. Did your father go through the military as part of the steps he took to get to where he is now?

Back