Vacuum advance port. How to drill & tap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Vacuum / nitrous port. How to drill & tap

So my new intake manifolds don't have sync ports.. or anything drilled and tapped for the vacuum advance.

Can anyone give me some tips on drilling thin cast aluminum and tapping threads?:confused2:

Last edited:
Re: Vacuum advence port. How to drill & tap

Start with a punch and mark the center, drill through with a small starter drill (1/8). Next go up to the tap drill size, and you will be ready to tap. Put some oil or tapping fluid on the tap and wind it in by hand with a tap wrench, stopping and reversing every so often to "break" the chip. When finished, I always remove the tap by unscrewing with my fingers, then blow the chips out with compressed air. Wear safety glasses, of course!

The manifod is pretty thin, do you think there is enough material to get an adequate number of threads?

Nitrous foggers thread into a shouldered collar held in place by a pinch nut on the outside of the manifold, a little red lock-tite and it's there forever.

Not sure what that type of fitting is called but maybe something like that would work better for you????

Good point Danny! I don't have a clue how thick the manifolds are, but a good rule of thumb is you must have at LEAST 1&1/2 times the diameter of the bolt in thickness of threads. So a 1/4 inch (diameter) bolt should have at least 3/8 inch worth of threads, for maximum strength.

Good point Danny! I don't have a clue how thick the manifolds are, but a good rule of thumb is you must have at LEAST 1&1/2 times the diameter of the bolt in thickness of threads. So a 1/4 inch (diameter) bolt should have at least 3/8 inch worth of threads, for maximum strength.

Additional material was cast into the oem manifolds where the vacuum spigots are pressed....if rebar's manifolds have that thick area drill & tap would work, if not then maybe the collared fittings would be a better option for him.

maybe the collared fittings would be a better option for him.

Collared fitting?

Thanks Guys. Iv tapped a million holes but never in cast aluminum is why I asked. Sounds like the same process.

My manifolds are Vgas from ufo. My old set had ports in the flanges and also in the runner. My new manifolds dont have any.

i bet that'd work just fine with the correct nut on the end and some red loc tite. then u don't have to worry about tapping.

We took the intakes for nitrous fittings and build them up with weld then drill/tap them into place. Makes it a lot thicker. We've seen them hold but they are easily stripped with the thin manifolds.

Sean

i bet that'd work just fine with the correct nut on the end and some red loc tite. then u don't have to worry about tapping.

Don't think I would ever put a nut on the inside of the intake runner Garrett, no way to check it easiliy....just wait for the detonation!! :confused2:

should be able to get those straight fittings at the hardware store or auto parts store pretty cheap, seemed expensive at summit racing, i figured it was just for the pic not to buy from there eh dan?

Don't think I would ever put a nut on the inside of the intake runner Garrett, no way to check it easiliy....just wait for the detonation!! :confused2:

didn't you do the same with the nitrous fogger?

should be able to get those straight fittings at the hardware store or auto parts store pretty cheap, seemed expensive at summit racing, i figured it was just for the pic not to buy from there eh dan?

That is correct Rov....but may not work due to there only being 1/8" to tap into. Probly he will have to go with the nitrous fitting.

didn't you do the same with the nitrous fogger?

No, I used these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1...item2c5ae96553
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1...item2c5ae96553
Below is a pic of the nitrous fitting next to the oem vacuum port for comparison.

Attachments

• 100_2065.jpg
    100_2065.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 21

We took the intakes for nitrous fittings and build them up with weld then drill/tap them into place. Makes it a lot thicker. We've seen them hold but they are easily stripped with the thin manifolds.

Sean

I think I will order the M5 brass ones I listed for $ 1.00 a piece. If they strip out. Can my cast aluminum manifolds be repaired/welded thicker and retapped?

I am have estimating I have 4 possible spots to insert nitrous fogger ports

1) Air Cleaner
2) Tapped into side of aluminum intake
3) In sync port on intake base
4) Drilled into head in boss by intake port

What is best & second best options?

Picture of bosses are shown to right of intake ports below

Gary

Headbossintakeside.jpg

i think the general consensus is to weld some thicker material on the intakes and tap them there

or to do what danny did.

Back