Valve lash; in bike or on engine stand?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
I've never set the valves on a Vmax with engine installed.
I bench lashed the heads, completed engine assembly, rechecked them and figured out what I needed
I then ordered shims, got the wrong ones (29mm instead of 25mm) and had to re-order and am still waiting on them. They should be here by mid week I hope.

Question;

Is doing it with engine in the bike a big enough pain inn the ass compared to on an engine stand that I should wait to install the engine? Or should I go ahead and take this down time to stick that baby in there so I can finish installing the swingarm, rear wheel, brakes etc. and get all the electrics hooked up and the lines bled ?

If I do that I'll be ready to fire it up this weekend I hope.

Thanks,

Rusty

I've always done mine with the motor installed without any issue.

The only advise I would give would be to leave the carbs off as this makes re-installing the cam covers soooo much easier.

If the motor's already out it's prolly easier to do now. I did mine with the motor installed and it went fine - just a bit of a pain removing everything in order to get both valve covers off.

Check out my 'how-to' with pictures it'll give you a good idea..

For shims talk to Sean Morley, he has a shims set loaner program.

my bike is due for adj. i may wait and do it when i yank the engine. looks like a bleeder job :rofl_200:. i usually leave blood on that type of project:biglaugh:, even with my long skinney fingers.

i made a worksheet if anyone wants to use it.:biglaugh:

Attachments

• Cylinder.jpg
    Cylinder.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 23
Thanks guys, I'm gonna wait. I was just thinking I'd get the thing complete sooner the other way inspite of the PITA of doing the valves with it in.

I have the patience of a sugar addled 3 year old.

Back