VMAX Front Tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastatv

Reaction score
I am in need of a new front tire for my Vmax. I keep hearing about the Shenkos here on this site...well, hear about them from time to time. I'm interested in others experiences and which model was chosen. My current front tire ( slick ) is an 110/90/18 Metzler ME 880. Best price I can find on one is about $125. Looks like the Shenkos may be half that price but again, I have no clue as to which model to purchase. Would appreciate some input from you guys. Thanks! Rick

Shinko 230 Tourmasters are the ones some folks here have used with great results. Some have tried a 120 on the front but it's been hit or miss with how that effects the speedometer. I just ordered a set of Shinko Tourmasters and I went with the 110 on the front.

I, personally, am a huge fan of the OEM Dunlops because of their raised white lettering. I've never run a different tire on the front of my 85. Recently, on my last rear tire change out, I did not buy a matching OEM RWL Dunlop, and instead, went with a Shinko. 600 miles later, I am regretting that decision as the new Shinko has already developed a severe side-to-side runout, and causing some wobble issues for me.

it really depends on who you ask or talk to. When I bought my bike in 06 it had Avon on front and back. My front is Avon Front Cobra AV71 100/90HB-19 Blackwall Tire, yes my speedo is off by a little. But that keeps me from meeting the officer wanting to give me tickets.... I also run a Avon Rear AM42 Venom X 170/80H-15 Blackwall Tire on the back. both look great and I will more than likely be putting on new sets this winter....Prices are not bad, they seem to last pretty good. I like the looks of both, back is just a little wider than stock...

I switched to radials and have a brand new stock size Metzler Lazertech just sitting in the garage. It was mounted and then dismounted...don't even think it has 100 miles on it (still has the nipples). Paid a lot, you can have it for $50 plus shipping. Can post a pick and confirm make/size if interested.

I am in need of a new front tire for my Vmax. I keep hearing about the Shenkos here on this site...well, hear about them from time to time. I'm interested in others experiences and which model was chosen. My current front tire ( slick ) is an 110/90/18 Metzler ME 880. Best price I can find on one is about $125. Looks like the Shenkos may be half that price but again, I have no clue as to which model to purchase. Would appreciate some input from you guys. Thanks! Rick

I ran lots of Shinko tires because of the traction and price. I have herd great things about the Metzler Laser Tech for the front. The 880 in back is a good choice to go with it. It will outlast the Shinko.
Steve

I switched to radials and have a brand new stock size Metzler Lazertech just sitting in the garage. It was mounted and then dismounted...don't even think it has 100 miles on it (still has the nipples). Paid a lot, you can have it for $50 plus shipping. Can post a pick and confirm make/size if interested.

I'm interested. Please post a picture and verify its the 110/90/18. Thanks!

It's really a matter of personal taste, and whether or not $$$ is a factor. If money is NO factor, I would go with the Avon radials. If you are only concerned about the looks, obviously the stock Dunlop Qualifers with the RWL are hard to beat. If it's all about the money, you can't beat Shinko's for the price, and I have used them with great success.

Get 'fmcandrew's' tire, quick!

You can't go-wrong there.

Start saving for a 17" or 18" rear wheel, and go radials. It takes-care of so-many issues guys have w/the Max. The mod makes your bike a much-better, more-enjoyable ride, and pretty-much eliminates handling issues, assuming your steering head and f/r suspension is OK.

Before you spend any $$ on a 4/1, Stage 7, or any-other hop-ups, go radials. I get the sense that is not in the $$ cards for you right-now, so plan and save, and maybe by the time you wear-out a pair of tires, you can have enough to go-radials. You should be able to do it for <$1K.

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 29
A comment and questions:
Radials Rock harder than anything I've tried. In the spring, I tried Avons on my V65. Good Tire. Then, I tried Shinkos at about 1/2 the price of Avons, and got better lock up, better cornering control, even stopping distance was noticeably better along with tread life. That proved to me, you don't always get what you pay $$$ for. Then I bought some radials on sale, about the same price I paid for Shinkos, and got best, best, best. To me, there is absolutely no comparison between radials and bias ply, it's not even close. A whole different bike altogether now.

With regard to the VMAX, I want to switch it completely over to radials, too, from Shinkos. My question is: until you get the rear set up for radials, why can't you put a radial in front and the Shinko in the rear?
I have done my reading on the different tire construction and the different turning and handling rates. And at the bike stop, I heard every tell me, You WILL DIE. Out of those 3 guys, not one person ever had any actual riding experience. Well, everyone told me the same thing about the "dark side" rear car tire, which is different tire construction and different cornering rates. Well, I actually tried it on my old VTX, and it rocked harder than any tire I ever had on my old VTX 1800. I want to know if anyone has actually seen, NOT heard, but experienced a VMAX not being able to use a radial in the front and a bias in the rear? Can you tell me what you actually happened as evidence of a "no go."

In my research, there were three manufacturers that sold brand new bikes with a Radial on the Front and Bias in the back. I am getting the idea that it may work in some situations, safely and effectively, on some bikes better than others. That's why I'm reaching out to see who has actual ride time.

Post Script: I happen to see fcwandrew's post with a left over Metzler Lasertec that got mounted and then stored. That's a brand new tire (zero miles) any day of the week and looks like a heck of deal if you decide to go that route. And if he already sold it, I got one for ya, same case scenario. Plus an Exedra Max.

At one point, I tried two different manufacturer's radials on one of my bikes designed for radials, & equipped w/them from the factory, one of the very-1st Jap. bikes so-equipped. One mfr. in the front, another mfr.'s in the rear.

There are different angles of construction for the warp plies of the tire in a radial construction. Some are a "V" of varying angles, some are where alternating layers are at right-angles to one-another. I cannot recall which tires they were, or which angles, but I do recall what it did to the handling. It ruined the handling! I kept them like that for 1000 miles, and then bought a second front matched to the rear. I can't recall why I went that way, to begin-with, it probably was related to tire pricing and my funds at the time. Never-again!

Yes, some bikes have had bias & radials, I think H-D had some like that. Unless you replaced the tires on a bike which came that-way, I would never recommend anyone do that. Nor would I ever recommend anyone go 'Dark-Side,' car tires in-place of a mcy tire, unless you are running a sidecar, and it cannot lean.

Our bikes have suspect handling in the minds of many, why throw another detrimental factor into the mix? Use a matched pair for safe and predictable results, and radials are your best bet. A Kosman remanufactured wheel is about $550, check w/them for current pricing, and a pair of radials shoud run you about $250 on-sale. Spoon 'em on yourself, and static-balance them, and you have radials on a budget for ~$800+. You send Kosman your rear wheel & they send you back a modded wheel. Re-use the front wheel, and buy a sensible-sized front tire (NO 120's!), and be-prepared to experience vastly-improved handling compared to what you are used-to in riding the 'Max!

At one point, I tried two different manufacturer's radials on one of my bikes designed for radials, & equipped w/them from the factory, one of the very-1st Jap. bikes so-equipped. One mfr. in the front, another mfr.'s in the rear.

There are different angles of construction for the warp plies of the tire in a radial construction. Some are a "V" of varying angles, some are where alternating layers are at right-angles to one-another. I cannot recall which tires they were, or which angles, but I do recall what it did to the handling. It ruined the handling! I kept them like that for 1000 miles, and then bought a second front matched to the rear. I can't recall why I went that way, to begin-with, it probably was related to tire pricing and my funds at the time. Never-again!

Yes, some bikes have had bias & radials, I think H-D had some like that. Unless you replaced the tires on a bike which came that-way, I would never recommend anyone do that. Nor would I ever recommend anyone go 'Dark-Side,' car tires in-place of a mcy tire, unless you are running a sidecar, and it cannot lean.

Our bikes have suspect handling in the minds of many, why throw another detrimental factor into the mix? Use a matched pair for safe and predictable results, and radials are your best bet. A Kosman remanufactured wheel is about $550, check w/them for current pricing, and a pair of radials shoud run you about $250 on-sale. Spoon 'em on yourself, and static-balance them, and you have radials on a budget for ~$800+. You send Kosman your rear wheel & they send you back a modded wheel. Re-use the front wheel, and buy a sensible-sized front tire (NO 120's!), and be-prepared to experience vastly-improved handling compared to what you are used-to in riding the 'Max!

The tech from shinko whom i've spoken with has said he can't recommend mixing them at all. altho he did agree some bikes (i think bimers) ship with radial rear, bias front.

Thanks guys for all the feedback, a learning experience here for me. Radials, well maybe someday, when my funds are better! I want good handling but I have really slowed down in the curves....only hit it in straight lines now. The "gentle" wreck I had really slowed me down...I just want a good set of tires that are safe, and provide descent traction. I'll go with fmcandrews used Lazertech or the Shenko. Both sound great for the money. Thanks again for all the inputs and education as it was exactly what I needed. Again...this forum is full of FINE people and I'm glad to be a member here. :punk:

Wow this is good info, thanks for posting this.

Sorry I haven't got back on the tire confirmation...I've had some other priority issues to deal with, but will get those pics & size confirm up tonight (hopefully) :)

Wow this is good info, thanks for posting this.

images

"Warn a brother" about dangerous handling!

"Just say no" to the Dark Side.
images
images
images

Fastatv,

Attached are the pics of the tire. It's a Metzler Lasertec 110/90 18 V rated. Dimples are all still in place :)

Shoot me a PM so I can give you my Paypal address if still interested. If not interested let me know as another member has shown interest.

$50 plus shipping
Pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

Back