vmax parts bike in ohio

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:ummm: That price is too high. It would take a long time to get back to even or you may never get even. Pass it up, Spurs

If all you were going to do is break it down for parts resale, and you don't count your labor & travel time to go get it as part of your costs, you can make some $ on it. $ depends somewhat on what he actually means by " top end " work needed. I once bought a '57 Chevy with " transmission problems " that only needed a couple of bolts for the shifter. :punk:

Sure wish it was a 96 instead of a 95. If one had to put on a set of heads, I think it would still be a fair deal. I see complete heads on eBay for under 200 all the time. Maybe both heads are not bad. Maybe it ain't the top end after all. Sort of a pig in a poke isn't it?! If one had a spare motor on hand for parts it would probably be a safe buy. Remember it is a 'OBO' sale so it will probably go closer to a grand. I'll make him an offer he can refuse. Yes I left the "T" out on purpose.

The top end RARELY has problems. A spun bearing can sound similar to a top end sound. It could be something easy but would never know until you took it apart (at least without being there to listen to it).

Sean

The top end RARELY has problems. A spun bearing can sound similar to a top end sound. It could be something easy but would never know until you took it apart (at least without being there to listen to it).

Sean

so sean whats the verdict, deal? or NO DEAL!

Depends on how bad the engine is. You'd have trouble parting it out and making any real money if you didn't spread it out over time. I would normally not give that much for a project bike unless I KNEW the engines situation. Seat, Radiator, Scoops, Swingarm, Diff, Side Covers, Fuel Tank, and misc won't pay you back with just those. Add in the electrical and someone needing them and it might make you a break even deal not counting the engine. Will take time. Forks, Wheels, ect...

I've given less for more but also given more for less lol.

Sean

So here's the skinny so far. Owner says possible bad rings/piston causing one cylinder to lose compression. No explanation how it was diagnosed though. Bike has sat since last summer and not run or turned over. Not good things in my book. So, still at the point where one could still fix with motor still in the bike to pull the jugs and do a ring and home and possible piston replace. I'd assume since it was parked while still running albeit poorly that the tranny/drivetrain has no issues. Always best to ask though! So that's the latest. Owner says he will go out and try to start it tomorrow and report back. Yeah, good luck with that right?

I'd say make a low ball offer (~$800) and see if he takes it.

I got an '86 parts bike, not running, no title, no bodywork parts, for $650. Even though the arsehole buyer screwed me with the seat (my mistake for leaving it behind), I still made $1805 so far and I still have the frame, the engine and quite a few parts. (That's 1805 profit, I sold $2455 worth of parts and gave quite a few away!)

So if you have the time and the space to take it apart and fleaBay the parts, there's most defo $$ to be made. Hell just the TCI would make you half the money back as a normal auction on fleaBay - those things are getting rather rare..

The low compression is much easier to deal with. Just a side note. There are no Jugs on the vmax to pull. It's all incorporated into the engine case and is why these engines are harder to do machine work too. It would require pulling the heads and oil pan/misc off the bottom. We have removed the pistons without splitting the cases and even honed one assembled. It can be done just needs thorough cleaning before reassembly.

Sean

Jugs, what was I thinking? I must have had KJs car jacking device still sadly burned into my grey matter. Damn yo KJ! Of course I meant heads not jugs. I was thinking the pan could be dropped, the rod cap pulled to service a piston. I could only do the ball type crosshatch hone so if it needed a bad ridge removed or oversized bore, it would start getting expensive fast. We'll see if any more info comes to light but the owner already told me he has no interest in digging into the problem much further. Sounds like he's done with it.

Latest posts

Back