Vmax virgin looking to buy - what should I look (out) for?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acammer

Reaction score
Hey guys. Cool forum, been lurking around and getting some ideas. I have had a few motorcycles over the past years, and plenty of two wheel time on dirt. I've been without a bike for a little over a year now, and I'm getting the itch again, and I have been trying to figure out the best ride for me. I prefer the appearance of a cruiser, low and long. I don't, however, like any of the air cooled V-twin offerings. I had a 1400cc Intruder that was piped, jetted with pods, and running hot coils - it ran fantastic and would embarrass a lot of big twins, especially off the line. I've also spent plenty of time with a piped/jetting 1200 Sportster. My time with those machines has taught me that I need more power.

I love the musclebike concept, I'm a big fan of the V-rod, and the M109R, as well as the mean-streak and the rocket III. However, on a realistic budget, I probably can't spend more than $4-5k. V-maxes are out there for that kinda money. I also think that the Vmax offers more performance than any of those bikes. So, thats really all I'm looking for now is a Vmax - there really isn't anything else that offers power like that in a affordable used cruiser-esque riding position, is there?

So, I'm shopping, and starting to look at used Max's. What should I keep an eye out for? I've bought more than a few used bikes, cars, etc, but is there anything specific to keep in mind with the Vmax? I assume like most Jap bikes they tolerate mileage pretty well, 20k+ shouldn't be a big concern right? What should I look to pay for a decent condition mid 90's max with like 18k on it? Thanks guys, looking forward to joining the brotherhood of the Vmax!!

this is a good deal:

http://elmira.craigslist.org/mcy/2145847733.html

would leave $1500 for mods which we could spend for you proper.

do some searches around the forum for the list of modifications done from the factory, or use google "search string site:vmaxforum.net" sometimes works better

oh & welcome!

That one has been gone for 2wks - I keep flagging it, but it won't get taken down for some reason. I was bummed that I missed that one. Next closest one right now is in Connecticut. There is one at the local Harley dealer as well, I'm not a big fan of the carbon-fiber paint, but its an 02 and the price isn't bad.

That one has been gone for 2wks - I keep flagging it, but it won't get taken down for some reason. I was bummed that I missed that one. Next closest one right now is in Connecticut. There is one at the local Harley dealer as well, I'm not a big fan of the carbon-fiber paint, but its an 02 and the price isn't bad.

i grew up in whitesboro and live out near the pats stadium now and we have a close knit group of people all the way out here who could check on it before you come out i'm sure if you find something.

IMO a '96 or newer gets you many of the good updates and still makes it affordable.

Chris

i grew up in whitesboro and live out near the pats stadium now and we have a close knit group of people all the way out here who could check on it before you come out i'm sure if you find something.

That's awesome. The bike is in Sandy Hook, CT, next to Dansbury. I smacked a deer monday night, so I'm in a holding pattern until the estimate on the car is done, then I'll know where I stand, I may circle back and take you up on that if I get ready to move on it in the next couple weeks.

IMO a '96 or newer gets you many of the good updates and still makes it affordable.

Chris

That's awesome. The bike is in Sandy Hook, CT, next to Dansbury. I smacked a deer monday night, so I'm in a holding pattern until the estimate on the car is done, then I'll know where I stand, I may circle back and take you up on that if I get ready to move on it in the next couple weeks.

depends on how close it is to folks, but i'm sure someone would take a peak if you asked nicely and offered a beer when u goto pick it up! haha

chris is right though, newer the better. is the 2000 worth $1800 more? hell yes in my opinion.

Yea, thats the one in Sandy Hook I'm considering, I have pictures from the owner that look pretty good. I didn't catch the one in Hudson valley, that real nice at 7k miles. Unfortunately, my choices will probably be driven largely by price, but that's not outside the realm of possibilities.

nows the time to buy too, prices will def go up come march.april.

Or I can sell you one. I have a few up for sale and can build, modify, adapt it to your liking. Probably the best deal is going to either by the 99 with 1300 engine or the super clean 85 with all black chrome. Fly in and ride it home. I can of course ship it if you wanted.

You'll find a lot of info about me if you do just a tiny bit of searching on here LOL.

See the Morleys Muscle section of the Facebook link in my signature. I would guarantee I am not going to sell you a pile of junk unless I told you it was to start with. I think I have one other one not listed on there yet too (a 1994).

Sean Morley

Or I can sell you one. I have a few up for sale and can build, modify, adapt it to your liking. Probably the best deal is going to either by the 99 with 1300 engine or the super clean 85 with all black chrome. Fly in and ride it home. I can of course ship it if you wanted.

You'll find a lot of info about me if you do just a tiny bit of searching on here LOL.

See the Morleys Muscle section of the Facebook link in my signature. I would guarantee I am not going to sell you a pile of junk unless I told you it was to start with. I think I have one other one not listed on there yet too (a 1994).

Sean Morley

if u can work out a deal with sean i'd do it. he can have all your mods ready to go as well.

just be careful with your wallet. i've heard sean BREADS mod monkeys!

Sean Morley

Long ride home... but definitely worth considering - the '85 looks awesome - I'd need one hell of a bonus next month to get me to the asking price, plus airfare, fuel, and hotel on the ride home. And yet here I am calculating the ride home in my head already...

Other than those that Sean has. I'm sure they have been gone over with a fine tooth comb... I wouldn't hesitate buying one from him for a second..

I would look at newer bikes IMHO, 1999 and newer just because of the factory upgrades you miss out on with older year bikes... I have an 89 and a 94 and I'm playing catch up, bringing them up to date... It's fun but it's expensive too...

Did you check out the Buy & Sell section on this forum? There's about 10 bikes listed there to have a look at.

Mike

I was going to suggest a newer one for the same reasons, but Dave beat me to it! Also, I like to buy my bikes bone stock and do any modding myself. I've seen quite a few half-a$$ed performance jobs out there that I'm a bit jaded when it comes to someone I don't know.

AC- I've also had a 1400 Intruder with the same mods as you mentioned - that bike has some serious grunt for the price, but is one wet noodle in corners. People complain about the vmax's cornering but compared to the Intruder you'll love it!

hawkeye: My 89 is a perfect example of some good and some really bad. The front forks and rear shocks that no one likes work great. The PO or PPO did some homework. The carb mods that one of them did suck bad. Not to mention one diaphragm not in the slot when I got it. I've fought through most of the bumbled stuff and it's fairly reliable but at the cost of about 300 hours of my work. So far...:rofl_200:

I know that I've seen a lot of the bikes sold where the owner yanked all the good stuff off and put stock back on. Some just throw stuff back on and others are atleast doing it right. I would prefer to buy a bike that I've known for a little while. naughtyG has his bike up for sale. Kyle's handling it. Like Sean, I trust the people involved and the bike. I know how much of naughtyG's heart went into the bike....

The 85 is a sweet bike and I am sure he'd take $4500 for it. That sounds like a lot for an 85 but I don't think there is a part we haven't painted, chromed, or coated. Other then a nick he's put into the tank cover the bike is cherry! Makes mid 120's in HP. Sounds incredible. And runs well. With the venture rear diff would make the ride home a bit more enjoyable too.

The brake upgrade on it is also great. About the only thing left would be to put braided lines on it. If I sell my 99 I am buying it from him anyway!

Sean

if u can work out a deal with sean i'd do it. he can have all your mods ready to go as well.

just be careful with your wallet. i've heard sean BREADS mod monkeys!

Yep, then he deep fries 'em :rofl_200:

That's funny shit... Breads and fries... lol

BREEDS! :rofl_200:

You can't go wrong with Sean. He won't lead you down the wrong road.

Latest posts

Back