VMax will not start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA VMax

Reaction score
First of all, Merry Christmas to everyone. Hope Santa left you more than the bill!
Now, my problem. I know it is just about impossible to diagnose an engine problem over the internet, but I am just hoping you guys can at least give me a place to start trying to figure out my problem. Bottom line is my VMax will not start? now here is the back ground:
I have not ridden the bike much over the past four months with long periods of sitting (up to 4 to 6 weeks without riding). About 6 weeks ago, I decided to ?stretch it out?. I fired it up (running rough) and went to the gas station and filled it up. After riding about 10 miles, it seemed to be running OK. It sat again for about 2 weeks when I decided to ride again. This time, it ran really rough. I rode it about 60 miles but was never able to fully take the choke off as it would bog out when you hit the throttle. Three days ago, decided to fire it up and was able to get it to crank initially but it soon died and would not start again. Since the battery seemed low, I have had it on a trickle charge for the past three days and tried to start it again today with no luck.
Here are the facts:
Most of the time I try to keep either Sta-Bil or Sea Foam in the tank.
The bike is stock except for a K&N filter.
It is a 1998 model with about 15k miles on it.
I pulled the plugs today and 3 out of 4 were oily (a different problem?).
Finally, the starter is starting to fall out of engagement very regularly. When I try to crank it, half the time the starter just ?whirrrs? and the other half of the time it turns over a few times then falls out of gear and ?whirrrs?. (A starter problem or a battery/voltage problem?)
My question is where do I start to diagnose the problem before I take it to the dealer and tell them to rape me?
Thanks for any advice.

Based on what you mentioned I think you have two problems. First is a weak battery and the second being dirty carbs. Test the battery for cranking amps, replace if necessary and pee shoot the carbs. Check the fuel filter while your at it.

I agree with the above.

If you have a low battery and the bike has been sitting a while. your going to have issues in a great percentage of the time.

Also the starter dosn't like it when you start cranking on it with a low battery. Things in the starter assembly will loosen up on you to get you back.
No need to take it to the dealer. There is plenty of help here.

Carbs
http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Starter
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=11123&highlight=starter+bolts

Hey, this is some great feedback... espcially on Christmas night!

tfisher65, what is 'pee shoot the carbs'?

I'm too late to add anything. Just a wish of Good Luck..:biglaugh:

Dave in Florida

Update on the battery situation... took the old battery out hoping to find a date on it (no luck) but I did find a hair line crack running from top to bottom on the negative terminal side of the battery case. :hmmm: There was nothing obviously spilled in the battery box, but that side of the battery was kinda greasy. Will begin a search for a new battery soon...

OMG, We're beginning to think alike COP RUNNER ...
Oh No, Now My font's the same as yours....

I'm doomed..... Next, everything will be green...:rofl_200::biglaugh:

And, you haven't even sold your house yet......

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, gonna get an Odyssey battery when I'm through beating the internet to death trying to find the best price!:boxing00: I'll follow up and let ya'll know how everything works out.

OK here is the update on what's happening with the bike. The battery tested good but there is still an Odyssey battery on the way ($$$!!!). A buddy of my came by this weekend to help (he has a 1989 VMax) and we checked spark and fuel... long story short, we finally concluded that there is either something wrong with my carb(s) or trash/dirty carbs. However, in the mean time, we noticed that my starter was acting up... again, long story short, we pulled the cover, pulled the flywheel and discovered the three bolts on the starter clutch were loose. Luckly, it had not done any damage except for the bolts. I will need three new bolts and gaskets to get the starter back in good shape... we will then continue to diagnose the carb problem.

The attached pics may look familiar to some of you...

More to come.

Attachments

• 000_0912_2.jpg
    000_0912_2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 32
  • 000_0913_2.jpg
    000_0913_2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 33
I agree with the above.

If you have a low battery and the bike has been sitting a while. your going to have issues in a great percentage of the time.

Also the starter dosn't like it when you start cranking on it with a low battery. Things in the starter assembly will loosen up on you to get you back.
No need to take it to the dealer. There is plenty of help here.

Carbs
http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Starter
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=11123&highlight=starter+bolts

Completely agree. Always make sure the battery is charged BEFORE trying to fire it up. Otherwise you damage the starter clutch, you charge the battery, start again and there goes the clutch....learned the hard way....

Latest posts

Back