Well...that was pretty disappointing!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The '06 had developed a pretty severe low speed wobble last year that, towards the end of the season was mutating into a wobble when I would hit bridge seams, pot holes or uneven pavement ridges.

Because the bike was involved in a front end crash I decided to skip the 'bounce test' and go directly to steering head replacement. I also installed Delrin motor mounts at the same time.

Just to see if it would work, I torqued everything exactly as the factory manual says even tho it seemed absurdly light!

Went out today for the big test! I was right, 2.2 ft. #'s of torque is absurdly light, I saw no change whatsoever in the low speed wobble altho the bridge seam, pot hole thing seems to have disappeared.

Will do the 'bounce test' in the next couple days and see what that has to say.

that sucks man, well hopefully you will chase it down and get the shakes out of her. must be from withdrawal ey lol. :th_people194:

that sucks man, well hopefully you will chase it down and get the shakes out of her. must be from withdrawal ey lol. :th_people194:

Hehe, good chance Ro!! I'm bouncing around the idea of getting a new Metz Laser-Tech front tire before warming up the wrenches....just got a sneaking s'picion this bike doesn't like Shinko's.

Same Shinko tires on '99 and she handles like she's on rails, never a hint of a wobble so.....go figure. We'll see what happens. :confused2:

is the laser tech a new tire from metz? i like the 880's on V1 feel real nice and stable, decent grip. the avons on V2 are a little slick but could also be my influence in twisting the handle a little more :confused2:

is the laser tech a new tire from metz? i like the 880's on V1 feel real nice and stable, decent grip. the avons on V2 are a little slick but could also be my influence in twisting the handle a little more :confused2:

I think the Laser tech has been around for a long time, may recognize it as ME33...same tire. I like the Metz's, they are a good tire, altho I heard some of them are now made in Brazil...maybe all of them, for all I know.

The '06 had developed a pretty severe low speed wobble last year that, towards the end of the season was mutating into a wobble when I would hit bridge seams, pot holes or uneven pavement ridges.

Because the bike was involved in a front end crash I decided to skip the 'bounce test' and go directly to steering head replacement. I also installed Delrin motor mounts at the same time.

Just to see if it would work, I torqued everything exactly as the factory manual says even tho it seemed absurdly light!

Went out today for the big test! I was right, 2.2 ft. #'s of torque is absurdly light, I saw no change whatsoever in the low speed wobble altho the bridge seam, pot hole thing seems to have disappeared.

Will do the 'bounce test' in the next couple days and see what that has to say.
Karnac places the sealed envelope that contains Dannymax's steering head maintenace procedure and proclaims: I see a engine removal in your future! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I am sure its the tire. My 06 loves the shinko rear...the shinko front not so much lol. this year I went with a shinko rear and a Pirelli Sport demon front so far so good. When ever my fronts got a little cupping the wobble was there. I did the furbur thing and it helped a ton.

Dan-O, it is time to join the "Dark side" and embrace the Mod Monkey. USD front end and radials makes a case of the wobbles go bye bye:rofl_200:

On a serious note, low speed wobble is most likely the tire, high speed wobble the steering head bearings. Although prudence says to check the bearings anyways. Toxic will NEVER wobble with a USD front end, radials, and a HyperPro steering damper:eusa_dance: Of course I still check the bearings cause it is necessary:biglaugh:

Hey... I have A LOT of wobble (if you get my drift) and my bike is as solid as hell so I wouldn't suspect that Dan!

lol

Chris

Hey... I have A LOT of wobble (if you get my drift) and my bike is as solid as hell so I wouldn't suspect that Dan!

lol

Chris

:rofl_200:Well, I can eliminate that Chris....it's a start!! :rofl_200:

This is actually a pretty good opportunity to do a little 'wobble investigation,' maybe get to nail down what's causing it with this particular bike.

Prolly worthless info to the next guy cause he may have a completely different set of wobble issues, but we'll see where it goes.....(to be continued)

Update* Just ordered a 110/90-18V Metzler Lasertec front tire thru Amazon for $100.99 (free shipping) Tire is supplied by Motorcycle Superstore, altho when
I brought up their site the same tire was around $9 more. Seems odd.

just a thought Dan and im sure you have already thought of it, but what about a hole tire/rim swap from your other bike :confused2:, just to see if you get the same amount of wobble at the same speeds? i figure you being consistantly wobbly, and chg the bikes potential to wobble with a new tire/rim might give you a definite answer to bearings(=engine removal to fix) or tire(= engine removal to fix) :rofl_200:

just a thought Dan and im sure you have already thought of it, but what about a hole tire/rim swap from your other bike :confused2:, just to see if you get the same amount of wobble at the same speeds? i figure you being consistantly wobbly, and chg the bikes potential to wobble with a new tire/rim might give you a definite answer to bearings(=engine removal to fix) or tire(= engine removal to fix) :rofl_200:
:rofl_200::rofl_200:

I did think of it Ro but seeing as '99 is handling sooo well I don't want to take a chance on contaminating her, you know....like spreading a virus!! :biglaugh:

Actually, I'm going thru a complete trouble shooting process, as it relates to this bike, in an effort to get a 'wobble-less' bike with the factory recommended torque setting on the steering head bearings. I've heard it's been done before.

Today I rechecked the steering head torque to see if there was any change in the 26.5 in. lb. recommended setting after driving it 50 - 60 miles on the new bearings....there was no change.

I then tried the 'bounce test' with the 26.5 in. lb. setting. No surprise there.....that setting is WAY too light, the forks slammed off the stops and gave 2 or 3 healthy bounces before coming to rest.

Now I'll wait for the Metz Lasertec to show up and see what that does to her.

Spooned up the new Metz Lasertec on the front wheel today....soon as the glacier receeds I'll take her out for a test run.

Also checked the front wheel bearings, they are definitely bad....both sides have rougness in the rotation. New ones are on the way, but I won't replace them till after this next test.

Despite the 34 degree temp , hi wind and spitting snow I was unable to wait any longer so I took Sallymax out today.

There is still what I would call a 'shiver,' not really a wobble, at 45 on a de-cel. It's very slight and a light hand on the bars will quickly make it disappear, but it is there.

I would say the Lasertec improved the situation 90% - 95%.

I did not follow proper procedure when mounting the wheel by allowing the pinch bolts to relax after tightening the axle bolt and know from testing that the axle bearings in the wheel are bad. New bearings from All Balls are on the way, we'll see if that eliminates the issue completely.

It's obvious that this particular bike does not like a Shinko front tire at all, while my '99 seems to have no problem with them. :ummm:

Good on ya Danny! I wonder if there isn't a .001th tweek in Sallymax that makes it not like the Shinko...but at this point with the lasertec working well with a couple normal tweeks to go I would call it good. :thumbs up:

Back