What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I did the first obvious mod to the GEN II, should aid in comfort too , there a little higher and a little pulled back. wont know for sure untill the next ride(raining now) but I think it will be more relaxed position.

Looks good Rick. l me know if you need some of those wraps we talked about.

Put the new bearings & seals in my dynamags & put the rotors back on now I just need to swap them out so maybe tomorrow or Monday I will put them on. Then I have to go over to by buddys machine shop & grab a couple pieces of stainless & make the adaptors for my busa calipers.

Here is a few pics. It's hard to see the quality of the tank. The original PC was pretty orange peel. It's hard to elevate that sometimes, but with a thick clear coat of 2k max spray and a good sand and buff it looks real nice. also did both my masters and really turned out sweet! Highly recommend doing the masters, it's a lot of work to get the tank to look right though!View attachment 29382View attachment 29383View attachment 29384View attachment 29385

Looks good mate! :biglaugh: That perspex window will certainly get people looking!

I.m confused because if you can powdercoat, why use a rattle can for clear?

Finally got a chance to turn some wrenches yesterday.
Painted the trim rings for the final drive and rear wheel.
Installed fancy new valve stems in my wheels.
Installed bearings/seals in the front wheel. Cleaned powder coat off of the rotor mounting surfaces
Installed bearings and seals on the drive side of the rear wheel. The bearing COO told me to buy for the brake side is incorrect.
Cleaned up some parts that where chromed so they fit. Had some tolerance issues.
New races in the swingarm. Installed it.
Finalized the rear shock setup with the offset bushings (swingarm is offset, shock was on a bit of an angle, sean hooked me up with a bushing, I had some small adjustments to make)
Finished differential rebuild other than staking the pinion nut.
New brake lines front and rear as well as clutch installed (still need bled)
Radial clutch master installed (ZX-11) fabbed a stainless bracket for the reservoir
Debated on how to set up the front brake switch wiring for awhile. I was torn over cutting the OEM wiring and hiding it all in the headlight or doing it under the master. I don't like cutting wires. Decided to do it under the master and hide as best I can
Opened up the box for my new speedo/tach. Got to come up with a mounting solution. Doesn't fit in the OEM gauge cup as well as I had hoped.

Got a lot more to do.... Maybe next weekend I'll hit it again.

I took the time to refurb my starter switch. Headlight and the guage lights weren't coming on, so I had to clean up the contacts. Threw it back together with some silicone lubricant to keep it moving nice and smooth and hopefully prevent the contacts from corroding again. Works like a champ now.

Thanks to this forum for letting me know about this persistent problem.

My Dyna Mags all ready to bolt on just need some extra time now.

Attachments

• dynamags ready to bolt on 001.jpg
    dynamags ready to bolt on 001.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 47
  • dynamags ready to bolt on 002.jpg
    dynamags ready to bolt on 002.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 42
  • dynamags ready to bolt on 003.jpg
    dynamags ready to bolt on 003.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 36
Speaking of handling... I've never ridden a Vmax until today. At low speeds, like around 20 or 30 mph, I thought I felt a very strange sort of wandering tendency in the front. Felt like it didn't know where to go, like it was tracking funny, back and forth. Nothing odd at higher speeds. Maybe I'm nuts.
Def. check the head bearings....mine was doing the exact same thing at low speeds. Tightened em up, and it took care of it.

finished up my new high output stator install from last weekend with a volt meter just to be able to keep tabs on things.
volt meter 1_opt.jpg
seems to work great and no runs, no drips, no errors during the stator install:clapping:
later,bill

After long weekend ride, took some time tonight to change the oil and spark plugs.

Sent from my Smart-Ass phone.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338854914851.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338854914851.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
Over the past weekend, put the motor back together. Put the motor in the bike, plugged most everything. Called it a night, started the next day but cut it short because I had to head home to help the wife. Later in the afternoon my buddy texts me a photo with the headlight on, then later text me a photo with the carbs in and the airbox in. All that really is left is body work and the exhaust I think.

Back