What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rebuilt the water pump, installed some new to me brake rotors (thanks Rovic) on the front and installed new o-rings in the drain-penis assembly. :biglaugh:

Hard to believe that little bit of work took me all day....I musta done something else that has apparently slipped my mind. :confused2:

Danny,

I think it happens to all males, time slips by when anything occurs on or around the drain-penis assembly! :rofl_200:

Todd

I will Rov, pics when it's not such a mess!

Calipers & masters will get done after the forks are back together and in the trees.

The rotors look great man....a little brake-kleen and they're like new! I like the gold centers. :clapping:

did the master cylinder come yet??? hope i was mailed out, i will check into it if it wasnt...

did the master cylinder come yet??? hope i was mailed out, i will check into it if it wasnt...

I didn't know you had a chance to mail them out before heading south....that's really cool! But, nothing yet.

My faith in the ol' USPS is a little shaken tho....the Maxgasser Rick sent me sat in the PO for 5 days and they never notified me.....if he hadn't called me it'd still be there! :bang head:

My faith in the ol' USPS is a little shaken tho....the Maxgasser Rick sent me sat in the PO for 5 days and they never notified me.....if he hadn't called me it'd still be there! :bang head:
They were probably sittin' on it in the break room....someone must have tipped them off to how comfy they are!

I didn't know you had a chance to mail them out before heading south....that's really cool! But, nothing yet.

Another business that runs like a swiss watch! Probably have some requirement to contact you through the mail and they didn't have the money for a stamp!

Todd

Another business that runs like a swiss watch! Probably have some requirement to contact you through the mail and they didn't have the money for a stamp!

Todd

Might be onto something there Todd, being out in the 'hill country' with rural delivery they will leave a yellow 'package too big for box' notice....which apparently they never did.

Probly did the same thing with the notice that I won a few million in the Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes too.....damn, I hate when that happens!! :bang head:

What's in the box? (part II)

Spares, and things to play-with!
  • faux tank cover $331 ronayres.com for my '92
  • 1985 embossed side covers. I saw these on eBay for a $200/apiece asking price before (not these particular ones) These look very good to near-perfect. I have always wanted a set of these, reasonable $
  • left/right handlebar controls/switches $118/$127 ronayres.com
  • left/right master cylinders complete w/microswitches $126/121 each ronayres.com
  • complete wiring harness 1985 $255 ronayres.com
  • overflow tank (needed one for my '86)
  • complete set of locks-priced a set lately? $295 from ronayres.com
  • fuel pump $178 ronayres.com
  • complete fender inc. reinforcement/taillight/bezel
The only thing I required was an overflow tank, but the other stuff was reasonably-priced so I spent the $. I haven't gotten-around to checking the master cylinders for function, but supposedly they work. One could stand to have the window replaced, I have the plastic lenses for that. The switches I like to have on-hand for quick replacement instead of having the bike down for a re-build. Anyway it will give me something to do over the long winter...checking-out the function of all this stuff, straightening levers (the torch is your friend, though I haven't tried that w/AL pieces before, probably easy to melt them w/> heat). New levers are <$30/pr. if I do destroy them. "Flame-on!"

Excuse me while I go play w/my bike now.:biglaugh:

Attachments

• Campi and box.jpg
    Campi and box.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1985 parts.jpg
    1985 parts.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 16
Rebuilt the water pump, installed some new to me brake rotors (thanks Rovic) on the front and installed new o-rings in the drain-penis assembly. :biglaugh:

Hard to believe that little bit of work took me all day....I musta done something else that has apparently slipped my mind. :confused2:

I remember....also painted the coolant elbow....the one that the paint keeps falling off!

Briefly considered High Heat paint but didn't know how it might work on plastic.....anybody ever tried it? :ummm:

I remember....also painted the coolant elbow....the one that the paint keeps falling off!

Briefly considered High Heat paint but didn't know how it might work on plastic.....anybody ever tried it? :ummm:

I used appliance black on mine Dan-o, it's held up well through about 1/2 a riding season. That VHT paint likes to be baked on at high temp to cure.

Last edited:
I started the off season check list last night. Compression first (175 in all 4) 44k on the clock. I dropped 5 lbs in each cylinder but suspect the valves are needing adjustment again. Valve clearance check is on the list, it's been about 20k since last adjustment. Not that 5 lbs. is a big deal.
Ohm'd out the COPS and did corrosion protection at connectors. Ignition pick ups are next.
Then, all fluids, tires, some powder coating, a paint job, because I have enough paint to do her again in Imeron, and done. Unless, the money Goddess bestows some cash upon me, in which case, new forks and a swing arm bracing will get me to where I always wanted my bike to be. I've lived with the spaghetti forks long enough.
Steve-o

Busa caliper conversion....just finished bleeding last night....hard to roll.....might be the new pads.

Attachments

• IMG_6525.jpg
    IMG_6525.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6524.jpg
    IMG_6524.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6523.jpg
    IMG_6523.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 20
Make sure the pads are retracting and the rotor is not rubbing on the inside of the caliper. Due to production tolerances this sometimes requires having to grind a little on the inside of the caliper. I am saying for my adapters though and these look like Kyles (though pretty much identical).

Krylon makes some can paint for plastics, you might try that, cheap-enough.

Yeah, Krylon Fusion....specidically for plastic....that's what I used, just don't know how it'll hold up to the heat.

Wonder why Yamaha didn't make those elbows out of black plastic....no more problems. :ummm:

Yeah, Krylon Fusion....specidically for plastic....that's what I used, just don't know how it'll hold up to the heat.

Wonder why Yamaha didn't make those elbows out of black plastic....no more problems. :ummm:
Or metal.... Seems like a common problem. The one on my 06 looked like crap with 2K miles on the odometer. Maybe we need to ask Sean to get Jedi on making some affordable ones. The otec ones are nice but $$

no i didnt get a chance but thought i asked mytdad to send it....will check with him and let ya knowwww

Back