What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put on a 60 LED cateye taillight and it is brighter than the Stock light and Looks a LOT better too.
I chose it over the CBR light for visibility reasons as well.
I rode behind a lot of Vmaxes with the CBR mod and that isn't very visible during the day at all.

Attachments

• DSCF5408.jpg
    DSCF5408.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Rear-Fender-and-Tank-1.jpg
    Rear-Fender-and-Tank-1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Rear-Fender-and-Tank-5.jpg
    Rear-Fender-and-Tank-5.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 33
I found an ad in Craigslist for an 86 Venture Royale, i have an 89 i absolutely love, more so than the Goldwings, i called the guy up, he wants $2000 for it, or a trade for a smaller bike, i have a 95 Virago 750 in pristine condition, low miles, we send pics over the phone, i like the Venture though not with the open pipes, he bought it that way.
We make a deal, he gives me the Venture and $500 for my 95 Virago. He wants a smaller bike, i want another 1300 i can possibly add some Vboost parts to.

So i rode the Virago 50 miles into Anchorage sunday morning, made the deal and rode the Venture back, awesome bike, plenty of power just as is, will need to chuck the E3 tires, do a little bit of radio fixit work, the antenna bracket is broken. He said to go ahead and keep the nice all leather saddle bags from the Virago, i would love to have something on the Vmax to hold gear but the Supertrapps blow exhaust straight against them, will have to keep looking.
But anyway now i have a second 1300 Venture and a Vmax parts bike with all the engine parts.

Attachments

• 20150511_104946.jpg
    20150511_104946.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 34
I found an ad in Craigslist for an 86 Venture Royale, i have an 89 i absolutely love, more so than the Goldwings, i called the guy up, he wants $2000 for it, or a trade for a smaller bike, i have a 95 Virago 750 in pristine condition, low miles, we send pics over the phone, i like the Venture though not with the open pipes, he bought it that way.
We make a deal, he gives me the Venture and $500 for my 95 Virago. He wants a smaller bike, i want another 1300 i can possibly add some Vboost parts to.

So i rode the Virago 50 miles into Anchorage sunday morning, made the deal and rode the Venture back, awesome bike, plenty of power just as is, will need to chuck the E3 tires, do a little bit of radio fixit work, the antenna bracket is broken. He said to go ahead and keep the nice all leather saddle bags from the Virago, i would love to have something on the Vmax to hold gear but the Supertrapps blow exhaust straight against them, will have to keep looking.
But anyway now i have a second 1300 Venture and a Vmax parts bike with all the engine parts.
Nice grab, I also once owned a XV750, if it had been a 1100 and not a salvage bike I would have kept it...The Virago was/ is way more comfortable- seat still kinda sucked.. Never rode Venture, I bet it's a great road bike...

My little bit of work I was able to do today was continuing on with my fork seal replacement. I was finally able to get the air collars off the fork with the use of a hammer and brass drift. Wiped everyting down, noticed small rust pits on the area that is between the triple trees. I stopped by Lowes on the way home bought 2 feet of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe which I used as my handy dandy seal installer- worked like a charm. Then got yelled at to come eat.. So my forks will sit until Sunday or once I am done in the evening with the family that is in town... This forum and some of the youtube videos make everything soooo easy. I just make it harder than it needs to be. I would like someone to do a video on replacing the shims/ valve adjustment for the Vmax...lol I need/ want to do this sometime this summer or toward the fall before I part it for the winter- maybe I can hold off until spring but the hot temps keep me not wanting to be in the shed/ looking at putting a fan in to help, my son couldn't believe how warm/ hot it gets inside when I am working on the bike...

The good gentleman that put together the video series of various Vmax repair and rebuilding processes name is Damon, Damon Ferraiuolo.
Damon is not an tv created evil medium but rather a all around nice guy that loves Vmax's.
Damien is a fictional character and the primary antagonist of The Omen series. He is the Antichrist and the son of the Devil. He is not a mechanical /technical type and indeed is in awe of any Vmax.

Nice score, I have an 86 also, love it ! you can adapt stock road king HD pipes to your venture if you want to change the pipes and you can find them on craigslist cheap everyone take them off !

I will keep that in mind about the Road King pipes, i do have an 83 or an 85 i can borrow pipes off of for awhile, while i love the Supertrapps on the Vmax the open pipes on the 1300 are just plain too loud, after a 50 mile ride back i actually had a headache from the noise. To me a touring bike needs to be silent, comfy, you can hear your radio, sip your espresso, even listen to an audio book.

Got syncd and afrs adjusted and went for a ride, same old shit again... have to use the choke under 4k. This is after cleaning the carbs again and replacing the fuel filter. Im about to try my #40 pfjs for shits and giggles. Cant really hurt at this point. :bang head:

Mounted the new (to me) headlight I got from Sean. May look a little rough, but that can be cleaned up nicely.

What is important here is that I am VERY pleased with this new headlight. The face is EXACTLY where I wanted it, allowing me to position my shield just where I desire it to be. There is even enough space now for me to mount my CB. Also, it is a little larger in diameter than stock, and seems to fit the headlight space in the shield a bit better. Always a plus. And I hear that the larger lens would probably give me a bit better beam going down the road. If that is the case, then I have scored a least a 3 run homer.

There is one fly in the soup. Turns out, my clutch and brake levers still contact the windshield enough that I still cannot put the shield I desire on. I am certain that I'll be able to find levers that will fit my needs perfectly, but that is a topic for another thread lol

THANK YOU, SEAN! As always, you have shown yourself to be a outstanding person who will find the means to help whenever you can.
pinkiehappy.png

Got syncd and afrs adjusted and went for a ride, same old shit again... have to use the choke under 4k. This is after cleaning the carbs again and replacing the fuel filter. Im about to try my #40 pfjs for shits and giggles. Cant really hurt at this point. :bang head:
You know....I've wondered the same thing. The 40s are bigger....so should clog as easy.

Im starting to wonder if my floats might be too lean... i can tell ya this, im getting real fucking tired of pulling my carbs!!!

Im starting to wonder if my floats might be too lean... i can tell ya this, im getting real fucking tired of pulling my carbs!!!

I understand....but didnt you tell me that they were set at 17mm? That should be fine. Stock s 15-17mm

20150510_161923.jpg

20150510_144853.jpg

where you installing the volt meter danno. ...

i washed the bikes....yup v1 and v2 in same town.....
chg oil....
retuned v2 for higher elevation.....runs strong now...
checked the front brakes.....they work as check the back tire results..

Got her just about ready to ride. Drained and refilled the forks, and added about 1/2" more pre-load to the forks. I went to put new front brake pads in but the hanger bolt welded itself to the aluminum threads, as stainless like to do. I run the Nissin calipers. I ordered new bolts and will use the last bit of pad untill they arrive. I think I can drill them out, or new calipers will be getting ordered. Worst shit has happened than that before. Time for the shake down cruise.

Anybody got a set of #40 pfj's theyd like to part ways with? I cant seem to find the ones i have, lol.

New Metzler 880's front and rear. Cleaned float bowls and valves, synched carbs. Changed plug end caps. I'm going to try to get a ride in but definitely going for a ride tomorrow.

Back