What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No bike work or riding going on at the moment.
We are winding down a bit prior to the Christmas holiday and we had our annual sea bug day we are at the start of the season is n this neck of the woods and goes until May and it all looks very good I will let the pictures explain everyone walked away very happy.

when the doom music starts

It’s kind of like Christmas trees it starts out green you just have to add colourB7581946-B575-49BF-BF05-C18D65BCE6C9.jpegEA4B3827-25DE-4153-AF98-B104D896F6DB.jpeg
MERRY CHRISTMAXS TO ALL MY VMAX FRIENDS!!!!

Cheers
Peter

Attachments

• D3190793-F592-4D04-AB5C-C42A2D214A56.jpeg
    D3190793-F592-4D04-AB5C-C42A2D214A56.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 0
No bike work or riding going on at the moment.
We are winding down a bit prior to the Christmas holiday and we had our annual sea bug day we are at the start of the season is n this neck of the woods and goes until May and it all looks very good I will let the pictures explain everyone walked away very happy.

when the doom music starts

It’s kind of like Christmas trees it starts out green you just have to add colourView attachment 81747View attachment 81748
MERRY CHRISTMAXS TO ALL MY VMAX FRIENDS!!!!

Cheers
Peter
Hmmm, looks good.

Hea Kyle
Need to check your voltage while you are starting it and see if it has a significant draw. Also the gear that the clutch mates to the bushing on it could be worn to much they won't even change them at the dealer without changing that gear .
Okay Kyle
Got me a Load tester. 1st Picture is the Battery (I'm thinking it's a cheap Battery and I should buy a better one anyway). 2nd Picture is the Battery fully Charged (Was in the Green). 3rd picture is the Battery while pulling a load on the bench. When I tested the draw with the Battery connected while turning the starter, it was at 10v.

PC210024.JPGPC210021.JPGPC210022.JPGit showed about 10v.

LMAO!! Kyle Im sittin here going through some of your old posts , my girl sitting here with me, watching the video she say's "oh what a cute little truck"
I went to the pic of that endless burnout and she shouts NO! you cant have one! LOL Iv been talking about the need for a winter project, she's on to me now!
She does love your paint jobs though.
Keep on havn fun Kyle we're getting a kick out of it here!

Those of you wanting a smaller truck with V8 power, the 2004-2012 GM 355 series (Colorado and GMC Canyon) came with a 5.3 liter fuel-injected engine from 2009-2012. It's not too-hard to swap-into one of those trucks the 5.3 or a 6.0L and you can do it with OEM parts. Older models of that are easily-available for a few thousand dollars, maybe less with a wounded 4 cyl.

Even the inline-5 cyl 223 cu.in. Atlas all-aluminum engine when it's re-programmed to eliminate the speed limiter (97 mph) with a 3.73 rear end will break 125 mph, suspend your license territory.

Last edited:
Those of you wanting a smaller truck with V8 power, the 2004-2012 GM 355 series (Colorado and GMC Canyon) came with a 5.3 liter fuel-injected engine from 2009-2012. It's not too-hard to swap-into one of those trucks the 5.3 or a 6.0L and you can do it with OEM parts. Older models of that are easily-available for a few thousand dollars, maybe less with a wounded 4 cyl.

Even the inline-5 cyl 223 cu.in. Atlas all-aluminum engine when it's re-programmed to eliminate the speed limiter (97 mph) with a 3.73 rear end will break 125 mph, suspend your license territory.
Yea good to know. But there's just something about the Luv/Mikado, Pinto or a Vega with a V8.....hard to describe.

Yea good to know. But there's just something about the Luv/Mikado, Pinto or a Vega with a V8.....hard to describe.
Back in the early 80s I traded a guy a 38 pistol for a pinto station wagon that had a 1969 302 in it, he couldn’t get it running so after the trade I set the timing that was off 180 and it fired right up. It had headers and I put a 650 double pumper on it which was to much fuel ended up going back to a two barrel and that thing would scream! It was all beat up and bright orange, ugliest thing you’ve ever seen! I don’t know who originally put the engine in it but that must not have been fun. It had a reverse shift pattern on it and I let my friend drive it, he thought he was shifting correctly but hit reverse instead, that will cause the car to lock up and skid out of control into a tree and a mailbox at about 80 mph. Ask me how I know.

On the basis of having airbags and crush zones, I'd choose something like the Colorado/Canyon over on of the 1970's economy cars. Not to mention better brakes and steering, and the ease of the swap.

The Pinto was actually a pretty-good handling car, it did well in showroom stock racing. There was a Cosworth Vega, and the Ford Courier p-u truck was capable of a V8 also. Kyle was fortunate to find a project someone had already done a lot of the modification to get the V8 in there, and his finishing of it has resulted in a 'looker' as-well as a performer. The Mustang II came with a 302 V8 late in its life, and the Maverick was capable of holding one.

We had a few Pintos in the family, and one from new. It was a 4-speed, and it was a model named the "mpg." The shifter was fun to use, short throws, no grinding/crunching, and the engine was the optional 2 liter and front discs. On snowy MI roads, it was fun to drive.

Here is an interesting Car and Driver article about these two cars. It's revealing of the crummy build quality we were subjected to back-then, on both autos. The labor costs at the dealerships are amazing, compared to today. Parts prices are also surprising. Chevrolet Vega vs. Ford Pinto (caranddriver.com) Dealerships charging for, but not performing, billed-for services, is another disturbing occurrence found by the magazine. As gentsvmax pointed out, these cars would sometimes be treated to V8 power, making for an entertaining, possibly dangerous 'pocket rocket.' Hot Rod and other magazines occasionally would run features on such things.

Last edited:
Yeah this is my 2nd V8 Luv and I had 2 V8 Vegas before the 1st Luv. Believe it or not the Luv is much easier to work on with a V8 in it than the Vega. My brother had a Monza with the factory 305 in it and it was a pain to work on to.

Latest posts

Back