What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah this is my 2nd V8 Luv and I had 2 V8 Vegas before the 1st Luv. Believe it or not the Luv is much easier to work on with a V8 in it than the Vega. My brother had a Monza with the factory 305 in it and it was a pain to work on to.
Check this out! Way back when, I had a girlfriend with a beautiful 78 Monza, red, white and blue. Me and my step brother's stuffed a 307 and transmission out of their wrecked Malibu into that Monza. Ruined It! It was a fun little money pit. The new motor ate up every rear end we put under the Monza, then we butchered it up putting a 9" ford and ladder bars under it. Oh what fun for burn outs but it was always breaking our metal shop class motor mounts, you couldn't reach the back plugs or the top of the starter and transmission lines kept leaking. Don't know what happened to her or the car but I remember the fun LOL.

Yeah this is my 2nd V8 Luv and I had 2 V8 Vegas before the 1st Luv. Believe it or not the Luv is much easier to work on with a V8 in it than the Vega. My brother had a Monza with the factory 305 in it and it was a pain to work on to.
I had a maverick grabber back in 84. Had a 302 v8. And 3 speed on the floor.
Won a lot of races with it.
Just 2 yes ago. Friend of mine . Had a monza with 350 v8. And a blower. It was a fun little ride.
Don't forget Gremlins. Those things could get down the road fast. Just ugly.

Just 2 yes ago. Friend of mine . Had a monza with 350 v8. And a blower. It was a fun little ride.
I assume you mean the Gremlin X, when equipped w/a V8? The 232 inline 6 wasn't a fireball performance-wise. However, it was supposedly capable of a below 12 second 0-60mph time about the same as a BMW 1600 of several years earlier. It could hit 100mph, given enough room, and there was a larger displacement (258 cu. in.) inline-6 if you needed it. The X package made it kinda-cute. A G.F. had one, no-synchro 3 speed, floor-mounted. Throws were long, but it got good economy. Another G.F. had a V8 Monza, bought new, and while not paragon of performance, it was quicker than many other cars of the time.

I loved the Monzas. loved thoughs cars. Me and a friend of mine used to cruise in one back in 67'. Hooligan's that we were back then we'd steal gas from parked vehicles. Once siphoned fuel out of a tractor not knowing it was Diesel Fuel. Luckily we had a bit of gas in the tank and the Monza ran. Not very good though...:)

My buddy had a Grabber when I had my 2nd V8 Vega but I had a good bit more done to the Vega than him so it was not a match. I actually like Gremlims for some odd reason. It probably would do me no good to find one sitting around without an engine. I am odd though I would hop up a Pacer if I found one just to jack with people. Lol

My 2nd Gen came with Soto Racing Rearsets and getting to the kickstand to put it down was a bit of a hunt. I added a homemade extension to the kickstand:

xZJxY0X.jpg

Njx1oG0.jpg

I loved the Monzas. loved thoughs cars. Me and a friend of mine used to cruise in one back in 67'.
I think woody was speaking of the GM front-engined Chevy Monza while you are speaking of the rear-engined Corvair Monza. I had a Monza Spyder turbocharged convertible, a '63, 145 cu. in, 150 HP through a single Carter YF downdraft carb, so > 1 HP/cubic inch. In '65 they had a new body, and continued the changes in the suspension they made in '64 to address the Ralph Nader Unsafe At Any Speed concerns. Yenko Chevy made Corvair Yenko 'Stingers,' along with their high-performance Chevys of other body styles, which are $$$$ cars today, and are frequently-copied as 'tribute' cars. The big-block 427 Chevy was often swapped into a Camaro to make a Yenko; Baldwin 'Motion Performance,' Nickey Chevrolet, and Royal Pontiac ('Bobcat') were also doing something similar.

Woody and Kyle will probably appreciate the picture here, these cars were very-special, and if you had one of these today, I don't doubt they would be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Three Ford Mavericks, made by Holman, Moody and Stroppe in No. Carolina. They were sold to selected drag racers for $1 each, and supported by the manufacturer (Ford). The hot set-up in drag racing for the Ford drivers had been the SOHC 427, or the Tasca Ford developed Cobra Jet 428. These Mavericks (no, they are not the new Ford small pick-up trucks!) were powered by the newest at the time big-block Ford the Boss 429. Three drivers of renown for them were Atlanta GA's Hubert Platt (the Georgia Shaker), Al Joniec, and Kalamazoo's Dick Loehr who repped for the Ford Drag Team as its midwest competitor. Platt was the east coast/south competitor, and Joniec was the rep for another geographic area. These comprised the Ford Drag Team who would compete in drag racing across the country, but were also giving seminars at Ford dealerships across the country, where young guys and drag racers could receive tips on safely competing in drag-racing. The three nationally-known team members would show attendees how to race safely, and show what parts were available for modifying their cars. In an interesting development, the Ford Drag Team also put on seminars at prisons and reform schools, in an attempt to demonstrate how young guys who were incarcerated could attain jobs in the auto industry after receiving training. A southern prison sponsored a drag car built by inmates with donated parts and it was driven in competition by a former guard.

This pic shows the three Ford Drag Team members in a promotion shot at a drag strip, you can see the names of each on the doors.

Yellow: Joniec
Blue: Platt
White: Loehr

Ford Maverick Boss 429 Hubert Platt GA Shaker.jpg

Last edited:
I saw them several times over the years and then Roger Waters on the shore of Biscayne Bay in Miami, maybe 6 years ago. Never a disappointment to see them, unlike some bands who aren't what they are in the studio, when playing live. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is one of the best rock songs of all-time. Best in the new year.

Back