What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished up a custom stitched maxgasser today, it s not for my bike but man it looks good with the blue stitching.

Attachments

• Resampled_2012-01-20_19-25-34_994 erics maxgasser.jpg
    Resampled_2012-01-20_19-25-34_994 erics maxgasser.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Resampled_2012-01-20_19-26-40_230 erics maxgasser.jpg
    Resampled_2012-01-20_19-26-40_230 erics maxgasser.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 46
Substituted the stock clutch master with one off of an '05 FJR1300 after fixing the friction plates last night. A couple of prelim squeezes felt like I didn't even do the dd mod--I can't notice the second spring one bit. Since I had to burp the clutch line, I reckoned I might as well replace all of the fluid. So after doing that, I zipped tied the clutch lever to the handle and let the the rest of the bubbles surface out of line overnight. Drove around the neighborhood this morning and found that the lever action is super supple. And I absolutely love that it is adjustable. Just wish the reservoir lid was billet, though, to match my front brake master's.

So after doing that, I figured that since I replaced the clutch fluid, I might as well flush and fill the rear brake line as well since I did the front brake line a couple months ago when I bolted on a set of 6-pot calipers.

Took the carbs off and screwed in some 147.5 MJs. Resynched the carbs and went out for a two-hour joyride around town and up-n-down the local highways. I'm not too sure, yet, what to think about the 147.5s. They pull nice, but I'm not too sure if they pull better than the 152.5s. I still have VBoost enabled and it seems that VBoost lost some of its oomph with the 147.5s. I'm not too sure. Is this because the mix is now leaner? Rolling into WOT from 4k pulls nice otherwise. Is this why some folks disable VBoost with it open when they upgrade the intake side? Because if it doesnt provide significant oomph after 6k might as well spread it across all of the rpms? I'll run them again tomorrow for another data point.

Trying to hunt down an oil weep, I cleaned the mud and grime from off of the bottom of the bike with some degreaser so that I can follow the drip line. I winded up polishing the oil pan with some Wenol, which also caused me to clean and polish the rest of the bike. I think oil is finding its way out of the bottom-most stator cover bolt, so I backed it out a bit and torqued it in good and TIGHT. If it's not that, it should be apparent now with an undercarriage that's clean enough to eat spaghetti off of.

Sent from my Tapatalking Hercules Android

Last edited:
Substituted the stock clutch master with one off of an '05 FJR1300 after fixing the friction plates last night. A couple of prelim squeezes felt like I didn't even do the dd mod--I can't notice the second spring one bit. Since I had to burp the clutch line, I reckoned I might as well replace all of the fluid. So after doing that, I zipped tied the clutch lever to the handle and let the the rest of the bubbles surface out of line overnight. Drove around the neighborhood this morning and found that the lever action is super supple. And I absolutely love that it is adjustable. Just wish the reservoir lid was billet, though, to match my front brake master's.

So after doing that, I figured that since I replaced the clutch fluid, I might as well flush and fill the rear brake line as well since I did the front brake line a couple months ago when I bolted on a set of 6-pot calipers.

Took the carbs off and screwed in some 147.5 MJs. Resynched the carbs and went out for a two-hour joyride around town and up-n-down the local highways. I'm not too sure, yet, what to think about the 147.5s. They pull nice, but I'm not too sure if they pull better than the 152.5s. I still have VBoost enabled and it seems that VBoost lost some of its oomph with the 147.5s. I'm not too sure. Is this because the mix is now leaner? Rolling into WOT from 4k pulls nice otherwise. Is this why some folks disable VBoost with it open when they upgrade the intake side? Because if it doesnt provide significant oomph after 6k might as well spread it across all of the rpms? I'll run them again tomorrow for another data point.

Trying to hunt down an oil weep, I cleaned off the mud and grime from bottom of the bike with some degreaser so that I can follow the drip line. I winded up polishing the oil pan, which also caused me to clean and polish the rest of the bike. I think oil is finding its way out of the bottom-most stator cover bolt, so I backed it out a bit and torqued it in good and TIGHT. If it's not that, it should be apparent now with an undercarriage that's clean enough to eat spaghetti off of.

Sent from my Tapatalking Hercules Android

the fjr is amazing aint it?!

Finished reassembling 3 of 4 carburetors. Contacted Sean about the last part I need (I hope), and looked at/rolled/smelled my new tires. Why do I love the smell of that release agent?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Opened up my box and stared at my new IXIL muffler. As expected it wasn't a direct bolt on, as it's made for another bike. So I went down to Fairbanks Radiator and Muffler. It was there they quickly fabbed an adapter and removed the bracket from the muffs.

It looks great, I need to paint the adapter then do the install. I cant say enough about the quality. The stainless and the welds are flawless. This was defiantly one of my better purchases.

I still have some more homework to do, but tomorrow, it will get installed and pics and video to follow shortly after.

After doing my lab homework, I went out and mocked up the pipe. looks sweet.
At first I thought it was too small, then I stepped away and took a look.

Tomorrow, I'm going to paint the couplet with some high temp blackness then do the final bolt on. Pictures and/or video to follow.

On a night like this, I'm happy I have a heated garage to work in.

43089210150560112084844.jpg

On the Road to recovery after the tip over incident, got these in this week and got busy..

1st.jpg

All installed, no leaks. sure was a pain in the Ass but worth it
SAMCOHosekitinstalled.jpg

Just got done mounting the new Handle Bars with the Adjustable Risers I got from Jon at UFO
DragBars.jpg

Almost done
VMaxalmostdone.jpg

I got the new shifter in and replaced the outer stator cover but I still can't ride yet....I still need the Shifter Bracket that got mangled in the Tip Over (it's on back order at Bikebandit.com). I have a friend who has a machine shop who is going to try to straighten it out so hopefully I'll be riding again soon. Need to score some Overtime at work so I can get the UFO exhaust and Morley Carb Kit I want ;)

Did nothing but homework all day.
When I took a break I painted the coupler for the new muffler with VHT's 2000* high temp, flat black paint.

I still have a butt load of homework to do, but Monday I should be able to get it installed and a sound bite uploaded.

Here is a picture of it. Me thinks its going to sound pretty sweet.

p1030517iv.jpg

Going to crank out some homework and do the install this afternoon. :biglaugh:
The ol Dodge isn't going to like being out in the cold, but IT wont be too long.
After taking the video and stills, I'm going to pull the instrument cluster and install the LED volt meter.

Here is what I work up to this morning, the thermometer on the back porch read -60
But on the plus side, its going to get a little warmer. Whats cool about a week of -45 ~ -50's, when it gets to the -teens it feels like a heat wave :snow:

55below.jpg

51below.jpg

But sometimes you have to just go with the flow :punk:

42060210150563283904844.jpg

Waiting patiently for your report KJ, should be a sweet setup!:punk:
Going to take the 70 mile drive to visit Redbone, pick off some parts for some fine tuning, cleaning, upgrades and prep for upcoming mods!:punk::punk:

Heres what I did today,cut down a sock seat looks good but the damn bikes too wide ! lowering the seat 1 1/2 inches didnt help a whole lot. Guess I'll have to design my own!

Attachments

• Resampled_2012-01-29_09-02-57_806 gii s.jpg
    Resampled_2012-01-29_09-02-57_806 gii s.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Resampled_2012-01-29_08-58-58_779.jpg
    Resampled_2012-01-29_08-58-58_779.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 23
  • My first cut down Gen II.jpg
    My first cut down Gen II.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Resampled_2012-01-29_08-57-57_837 side by side.jpg
    Resampled_2012-01-29_08-57-57_837 side by side.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 22
Heres what I did today,cut down a sock seat looks good but the damn bikes too wide ! lowering the seat 1 1/2 inches didnt help a whole lot. Guess I'll have to design my own!

I like that third picture, Looks like it will definitely hold you in place. :clapping:

Yea, we can't do a ton with them either and looks like what you did is similar to our seat work. Not sure how much can be improved with a custom seat pan?

Sean

About to go out in the garage and reassemble my last carb. Gotta rig a gravity tank to set wet levels on the bench, then MAYBE get her running before midnight. I'm figuring next weekend, though.

Back