What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I nicked it too, as long as you grind the high spot off the rest of the shoulder will hold the race just fine.

yea, live and learn, pretty tough to tell what you're hitting. i was using my 'negotiator' too (2.5 lbs mini-sledge)

Went on a nice run this afternoon with Leecifer and my buddy Joe, Don't get to ride in Jan here in Mi very often, taking advantage of the mild temps "mid 40s" and dry roads, I might get another one in tomorrow before winter returns.................................Tom.

I realised I now have:

- a full COPs set
- 4 x nice smoked lens blinkers
- SS front brake lines
- black aluminium M/C covers
- an original tall windshield...

...and no bike to fit them on!!

Where the bloody 'ell is it and long will it take :bang head::bang head::bang head:

STOP PRESS!

Just heard from the shippers, my Max will load next week and arrive in Brisbane late February. No riding for me until March then. :damn angry:

Last edited:
No cutting, just a little grinding. Yes, I did it on the side of the head tube closest to the bike. I made just a small recess about 1" long.

I don't think it matters greatly, but, if looking-down from above the steering head, While in the seat, w/the front of the steering head being "12 o'clock," and the position closest to the tach being "6 o'clock," I propose the best place to grind 'eyebrows' is 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. As the force exerted on the steering head is probably linear and in-line w/the length of the chassis for the majority of dynamic loading it experiences, this location pair leaves the metal where it does the most good. Now in the testing of such loads, I doubt even if you did grind your reliefs for getting a drift pin on-top of the outer bearing race in order to remove it, at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positioms, that it would appreciably affect structural integrity. My thought is a one-inch aluminum oxide Dremel grinding stone would be just the right size for making the reliefs in the thicker metal of the lower bearing outer race seat steering head metal. I have an attachment for my Dremel, a flexible shaft which screws onto the motor housing, which allows access into narrower confines than the more-bulky Dremel housing allows. I think this would work well for the limited space of the steering head opening, and would permit better visualization of your proposed areas of grinding.

The little "burr" you raised? I agree w/the others, grind it down so the race can be flush w/the bottom of the shoulder of the race location in the steering head. Can you envision, when you decide to just "seat the lower outer race just to come into contact w/that," if you didn't remove it, that when you assembled the steering head & torqued everything down, that after putting some miles onto the bike, the loading on the steering head bearings would force the lower outer bearing down closer into the factory relief made for the race, which would then result in a very sloppy steering head? You probably would feel the slop as you rode, as the stem cocked in one direction and then the other as you made different vector-of-force loads on the steering stem/bearings. So, yes, by all means, do remove the burr so the race can seat fully.

Worked on the 94 all day. installed tires,polished fork tubes,new fork seals & dust seals,cleaned about 80 % of corrosian off wheels,painted swingarm,Painted engine,installed new gas tank,polished rear foot peg brackets & fork brace & I am sure I am forgetting a few things. And worked on a couple other bikes inbetween.

Attachments

• 94 Vmax 003.jpg
    94 Vmax 003.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Mustang & 94 Vmax 006.jpg
    Mustang & 94 Vmax 006.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Mustang & 94 Vmax 007.jpg
    Mustang & 94 Vmax 007.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Mustang & 94 Vmax 009.jpg
    Mustang & 94 Vmax 009.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Mustang & 94 Vmax 010.jpg
    Mustang & 94 Vmax 010.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Mustang & 94 Vmax 012.jpg
    Mustang & 94 Vmax 012.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 28
  • Mustang & 94 Vmax 015.jpg
    Mustang & 94 Vmax 015.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Mustang & 94 Vmax 016.jpg
    Mustang & 94 Vmax 016.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Mustang & 94 Vmax 018.jpg
    Mustang & 94 Vmax 018.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 26
Double-D'd the clutch last night, or should I say early this morning. Haven't got a chance yet to take the bike for a spin, but preliminary pulls in the garage required surprising less effort than I had anticipated. It really isn't that bad. Don't get me wrong, you most definitely know that there is a second spring there, but nothing that requires the strength of a 'roid-raging gorilla. Hehehehe, for months now I've been overly-concrned with the pull.

I took the bike out for a leisurely stroll around town. Man I love it! STRONG and FIRM. Pulling is really tight, like it's suppose to feel--granted it's a bit more, but suffice it to say, I am pleased. Engaging the next gear is bit another story--it is here where the grip strength is more important. When disengaging, one can just simply yank the lever; however, slowly releasing the lever so as not to "drop the clutch" proved to require a bit
more finesse and after twenty minutes or so of this the hand started showing signs of fatigue. It really isn't THAT bad. I reckon after a week or so, the hand will succumb accordingly.

Shortly thereafter, I pulled out the DJ165s and replaced them with the stock 152.5s. YES YES YES. Next weekend I will try 147.5s. Oh I CANNOT WAIT!

Last edited:
Reassembled and dry checked floats on three carbs. The fourth won't be done until I get my jet block in the mail. It was pretty chewed up from sitting in the rusty mess left for me by the previous owner.

Got a new fuel filter, some stainless screws. It's getting closer to being on the road. That's all I care about.

Well the Max comes last in my world dont stone me.:rofl_200:I have to make my cash first here is a look at my place the last few days & yes 3 of the bikes are mine so they dont count so that leaves only 5 I had to work on.

Attachments

• 96 Dyna wide glide 018.jpg
    96 Dyna wide glide 018.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 96 Dyna wide glide 019.jpg
    96 Dyna wide glide 019.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 42
Was a little late on the ordering, I forgot that Monday was a holiday.
But this morning I ordered steering damper brackets and my new mufflers. :punk::git::band::th_2fc2c5a5::punk:

170xxx.jpg

KJ, the sound alone will Break Ice and cause Glacial Slippage...:rofl_200::clapping:

jwood: Let us know how you like the shift light, I really need several of them...

Was a little late on the ordering, I forgot that Monday was a holiday.
But this morning I ordered steering damper brackets and my new mufflers. :punk::git::band::th_2fc2c5a5::punk:

170xxx.jpg

I think you have it wrong KJ...I think you meant steering muffer brackets and exhaust dampeners???:ummm: :biglaugh:
I cannot wait to hear the beautiful tunes that will emanate from them!!!!:punk:

Those look waaay too quiet KJ, got a dB reading? :clapping::clapping:

I don't know how they'll behave. They will be shipped on Tuesday. When it comes in, I'll post a video after I slap it on.

I've heard them on inline 4's and they sound pretty sweet. Hopefully it will sound the way I want it to and it will make children wet themselves and scare old ladies. Or maybe its the other way around. :biglaugh:

I think you have it wrong KJ...I think you meant steering muffer brackets and exhaust dampeners???:ummm: :biglaugh:
I cannot wait to hear the beautiful tunes that will emanate from them!!!!:punk:

I think thats it. with all the bustle and such returning to school, I tend to mix things up. :)

KJ, the sound alone will Break Ice and cause Glacial Slippage...:rofl_200::clapping:

Thats the intention, we've had enough snow up here already. time to scare it back down south.

Latest posts

Back