What is the first year w/ ABS

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaCrunch

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a used V Max. What Years do they offer anti lock brakes? And, where is the best place to find a good deal for one? E bay or Craig's List have had the best prices so far in my search.

Anythings possible with enough $$$. You'd be further ahead to buy a bike that already has it, than to try to adapt a system to a bike that doesn't. I believe the systems are engineered to be bike specific, so adapting one might not even be possible.....or safe.

Locking up the tires isn't really the issue with the Gen I.....being able to stop them at all is a far bigger problem.
+1, Yamaha went to the wrong parts bins with the V-max, so it's important that you get a proper caliper/ pad setup to get this bike stopped properly. The early years ('85 - '92) need the most work, whereas the later years ('93 - '07) can usually get by with proper pads/ SS lines.

Soooo true ! Can't do a proper burnout without that stupid ABS light a flashing !! :wacko:

I don't have that problem because I don't use the front break to do my burnouts:biglaugh:, but they(ABS) suck when I want to slide it to a stop:bang head:

I don't have that problem because I don't use the front break to do my burnouts:biglaugh:, but they(ABS) suck when I want to slide it to a stop:bang head:

Crosswalks, manhole covers, stop signs....Rick can't resist the urge to snap it around sideways....you'd think he was on a 250 lb. dirt bike not a monstor Gen II!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

i've thought about a set of these. http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/index.html they are on my wishlist, but keep getting bumped down in favor of more attractive things.

After reading about these on their site it got me looking around for other reviews. I would say buyer beware on this item, all the the reviews I read have said there is no noticeable difference after adding this to their bike (with the exception of reviews from the guy who made it...). Like the article says, this technology has been around for 50 years, the fact that manufacturers never put similar technology on automobiles or motorcycles in the past should be a sign.

The brakes on my 85 leave a lot to be desired in a quick reaction situation and require the use of proper engine braking to actually come to a quick stop. I think down the road I am going to put Hayabusa brakes on mine to compensate. Naturally this will not help with locking of brakes (it will likely make it easier to lock up) I think it would be the easiest upgrade for increased braking control on a Gen1.

good call tex. i guess my monkey knew better and was the reason they kept getting bumped. you'll love six pot caliper...one word--wow. i put on some off of a yzf 750 and coupled them to an fjr1300 master. wow wow wow. with that being said, though, the two time i hydroplaned through a traffic light, one episode of which i found myself in the drifters position praying to god that i wouldnt lay it down, got me wanting abs in the worst way...almost to the point of wanting to sell Max for a more modern bike...i said "almost". lol. the next dry day and a couple of romps in between stoplights quickly changed my mind LOL.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

After reading about these on their site it got me looking around for other reviews. I would say buyer beware on this item, all the the reviews I read have said there is no noticeable difference after adding this to their bike (with the exception of reviews from the guy who made it...). Like the article says, this technology has been around for 50 years, the fact that manufacturers never put similar technology on automobiles or motorcycles in the past should be a sign.
The brakes on my 85 leave a lot to be desired in a quick reaction situation and require the use of proper engine braking to actually come to a quick stop. I think down the road I am going to put Hayabusa brakes on mine to compensate. Naturally this will not help with locking of brakes (it will likely make it easier to lock up) I think it would be the easiest upgrade for increased braking control on a Gen1.
+1, for the early year bikes up to '92. I've had Busa brakes for a few years now and with stock levers I was in the habit of using 2 fingers. With the adjustable billet levers I have now I sometimes use 3 fingers but I have STRONG braking with good modulation, and while I can lockup the front it takes a concerted effort to do so. Well worth doing IMO.

Many years ago there was a product the went between the master and lines. I remember reading an article on them in a motorcycle mag and they got great reviews.

I can't seem to find any info on them now. :ummm:

I have the 6 pot FZR calipers and Galfer pads, steel braided brake lines, and stock master on my 07. The difference between that and stock is night and day. It is VERY easy for a Vmax to outrun your brakes.

Latest posts

Back