What is this noise?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuff

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLXBmsdTGfc Just replaced the clutch and put new Shinko's on so it's gripping pretty hard, I do a lot of Wheelie's and tried to do one burnout but couldn't it gripped too much, I know this post is related to the one V-Max Mike posted but couldn't figure out how to add the link to the video there, The noise sounds equally loud from middle gear cover and rear diff, I guess I'm finding my weakest link as I go, If anyone has heard this before or could help point me in the right direction I would be grateful, Thanx

I think it's too fast for it to be the left swingarm bolt in too far. What's the last thing you did before this started?

I think it's too fast for it to be the left swingarm bolt in too far. What's the last thing you did before this started?

As far as what I did riding it? Or what I did mechanically? As far as riding it I was just doing my typical nailing the gas doing wheelie's and holeshot's I don't baby it. Mechanically me and beekeeper installed a new clutch took out the half disk and replaced it with a full disk and PCW spring, re-placed the shift drum with a 99 and newer, installed the HD oiling kit with new o-ring and I put on new Shinko Tourmaster 230 tires and steering head bearings.

Maybe there's a bolt backing out in the final drive? Somebody was talking about that recently. It sounds like the right speed of grinding to be the driveshaft splines, but I don't know which end could be the problem. Also, this is just me guessing. Have you ridden it since you put the tires on? You might just take off the rear wheel and reinstall it to see if that makes a difference. You'd be able to fiddle with the final drive with the wheel out, too.

May have broken the middle gear. Time to take the swingarm off and start looking at the parts you take off. The middle gear would require the swingarm to be off and then 3 bolts to pull the mid gear from the back of the engine (ujoint and all). Could be something in the diff but it's sounding mid gear to me. IF that is the case then you have some trans work to do.

Sean

Maybe a sheared output shaft and the nut rumbling around within the Ujoint? before you disassemble the swinger remove the boot fromt the seating on the case and look inside the ujoint.

Just for the hell of it back the axel nut off a bit and see if noise gets better, if it does, I would start looking at the center nut on diff to make sure it hasn't backed off.

May have broken the middle gear. Time to take the swingarm off and start looking at the parts you take off. The middle gear would require the swingarm to be off and then 3 bolts to pull the mid gear from the back of the engine (ujoint and all). Could be something in the diff but it's sounding mid gear to me. IF that is the case then you have some trans work to do.

Sean
Thanks Sean your the man I was waiting to hear from, I concur. Lookin like my V-Max season might be over.

i think a tooth from the main gear is broken in your rear diff (pumpkin) and the think that broke is still inside. i have changed 3 broken diff and that is how the sounded

took the wheel off and rear diff apart found nothing so far

Attachments

• diff.jpg
    diff.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 50
  • diff1.jpg
    diff1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 53
  • diff2.jpg
    diff2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 48
  • whl.jpg
    whl.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 50
Look at the nut holding the pinion gear in (under the driveshaft).

Look at the nut holding the pinion gear in (under the driveshaft).
ok Sean forgive my ignorance you mean on the Diff end there is a nut under the drive shaft? or the other end up by the middle gear by the rubber boot, I did the screw driver stethoscope trick and the noise did sound like it was coming from the diff even had the wife come out to the garage and listen she kinda looked at me funny but she helped anyway lol she thought the same thing.

Should be a nut on the diff pinion "small" gear, now that the diff is out can you chuck somthing up in your drill and spin the driveshaft to see if the noise is still there?.....................Tom.

Should be a nut on the diff pinion "small" gear, now that the diff is out can you chuck somthing up in your drill and spin the driveshaft to see if the noise is still there?.....................Tom.
Yep that was my next step, HOPEFULLY it's just the diff that would be nice when I drained the rear gear oil I never prayed so hard to see metal in my oil LOL.

Yep there is a nut right under the driveshaft that is the one I was telling Vmax Mike about when he called me asking about it. I have even had a couple I went to pull the shaft out of the diff & even though the bike still moved under its own power the shaft was broke in half right by the gear but stayed in place untill you yanked on it.

Last edited:
Ok found the nut under the driveshaft it was loose about 1 1/2 turns not sure how hard to tighten this ?? Also would that damage the bearing? I assume there is a bearing in there didn't have a lot of time last night to investigate will try to get to it tonight and maybe post some pic's of what I found, anyway was just wondering if it's just a simple tighten the nut down and put it together kind of thing or should I look for more?

Ok found the nut under the driveshaft it was loose about 1 1/2 turns not sure how hard to tighten this ?? Also would that damage the bearing? I assume there is a bearing in there didn't have a lot of time last night to investigate will try to get to it tonight and maybe post some pic's of what I found, anyway was just wondering if it's just a simple tighten the nut down and put it together kind of thing or should I look for more?

I usually just get my 3/8 impact & run it down & run with it it needs to be tight but dont go super crazy with it they can shear . I have not had any problems yet just tightening it down & moving on.

I usually just get my 3/8 impact & run it down & run with it it needs to be tight but dont go super crazy with it they can shear . I have not had any problems yet just tightening it down & moving on.
ok Thanx Kyle I will try that

Back