What kind of handle bars you guys running?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the06vmaxer

Reaction score
As the title says, what kind of bars are you guys using, and what kind of riding do you normally do? Seems like the popular ones are the morley's drag (with or without a riser) or this super bike bar. Do these both fit stock wiring? Anyone used the bar from Sportmax? I usually do highway riding, and am 5'11". Any advice or info would be great!

-Russ

I love the looks and power of the Max, but when it comes to riding style, I'm strictly a cruiser. I accumulate most of my kilometers touring on the bike.
I wanted some bars with more rise and pullback, but that retained the same width as the stockers, which I found to be just right (arms more or less at shoulder width) I couldn't find anything commercially available.
Consequently, I made up some custom bars, made from a set of "apehangers"
I used a solid piece of 7/8" round stock for the clamped section, and then cut and welded on the apehanger pieces to give me about 3" more rise than the stockers. The bars are now much more comfortable on the back, but I'm sorry that I didn't give them another inch or so in rise. The solid piece reduced the vibration, as a added bonus.
I have engine guards/forward footrests to stretch my legs out.
I hope to complete the "comfort mods" this winter, by relocating the driver's footpegs - about an inch lower, 2-3" forward.

I have drag bars on my 89 with an 1/ 1/4 inch risor under them. I love the looks. On my 85 I have the GP bars & on the 2000 that I am going to sell I put the superbike bars on it since a lot of people seem to like them (not me) but I sell quite a few of them there all around 20 bucks a set.

I'm 6 ft 3 the drag bars fit me awesome & they look sweet also.. Oh I am using a 1" riser also

Stock bars right now, but I'be got pro tapers in the mail. I'll see how I feel about cutting them down once they're filled with lead shot and actually on the bike.

I have stock bars but rolled back and lower. They are about 1" off the tank cover a full lock. After adjusting the switch gear and levers ---it's very good for me. Certinally worth a try.
Lew

Last edited:
I loostened the four hex socket bolts that hold the bars in place and pulled/rolled the bars down and back. Loosten the switch gear and rotate it and the levers bact to the most comfortable and easy to use position.

Lew

Superbike bars? I am surprised most don't go with drag bars.
I personaly like the looks of drag bars better & don't like the extra width on the wider bars. I like to be tucked in but every one has there own oppinians & likes. I have cut down some bars so I could be tucked in more. I sell all of them but its kind of like which exaust sounds the best to me its all rider preference.

I ride with drag bar's, I was going to get the super bike bars, But never had a problem with the drag bars riding long miles. Longest ride I been on so far was 468 miles 1 day.

Pro-Taper SE Series in the Carmichael Bend.

They are made for dirt bikes and look the part. Including the padded crossbar which is removable.

Back