what's up new guy here

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wipeout

Reaction score
what's up all.new guy here.and i just bought my first v-max.it was my brothers bike.i rode the bike many times but now i'm the owner of it.looking forward to making the bike my own

Congrats & welcome to The Forum. Post a pic of your baby soon as you're able. Any info you need is right here...................

thanks.some sweet rides on this site.i'm looking forward to making my brothers old bike my own.i'm looking for a lower fairing just not sure where to look for one.

Welcome aboard wipeout. I'm sure there are guys here that can help you with any part you can imagine.

Welcome! There are plenty of ways to make it your own, I started by surfing site vendors for ideas and asked lots of questions. Its great how many members share experience and knowledge. What kind of riding do you anticipate?

i live in maine and love riding in the mountains in nh or long back roads. i've had sport bikes ever since i started riding.i told myself the only way i'd get a cruiser is if it's a vmax.i love the max but it still looks like my brothers bike so i want to make just some small changes to make it my own.like the lower fairing to start.

i live in maine and love riding in the mountains in nh or long back roads. i've had sport bikes ever since i started riding.i told myself the only way i'd get a cruiser is if it's a vmax.i love the max but it still looks like my brothers bike so i want to make just some small changes to make it my own.like the lower fairing to start.
Check with one2dmax for the lower.

I got mine mid-season last year but have wanted one since about 86. I live in the Black Hills natl forest, SD so Im with you on handling which is not the maxes strong suite. Im all over between relaxed cruise to semi-spirited twisties and its fine for that, If your a sportbiker you might look in the suspension section, great stuff there.

Anything you remove to make it your own may have value to other members so dont chuck anything!

thanks for the info.i know they aren't the best handling and i was thinking of the suspension.just looking forward to riding it and work on it as i go.

Welcome to the forum. Believe me, ANY Vmax question that you have can be answered here.

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you let the Mod Monkey in already.... Nice...

Post some pics when you have a chance...

thanks everyone. i really like the site and some of the sweet rides.looks like i found the right site

Ah, the "VMax handling sucks" mantra is like listening to someone else's movie review. They didn't like it because they're used to Michael Bay (Armageddon, Transformers) explosions and gunfights every few minutes, where the more-subtle build-up to some really terrifying behavior happens, like in Hannibal, where Dr. Lechter is having Ray Liotta for dinner...

Certainly different tastes for different people, that's what makes the world go 'round, eh? Especially in Dr. Lechter's case...

What these people whine-about has to do with a bike that was designed in the early 1980's and which remained in production longer than the Ford Model T did, a factoid I am fond of pointing-out, with no significant changes, really. You can use most of 1985 parts on a 2007 and vice-versa. So it really didn't benefit from the changes that other model names in transportation did. For instance, a 1936 H-D Knucklehead is very different from a 1958 Hydra-Glide. The same span of time. The Harley changed significantly while the VMax didn't.

This means that you have plenty of room to improve on what's there. For my $, the #1 change that will positively affect your enjoyment of your ride is to run radial tires, which at a minimum requires a modded rear wheel, w/two radial tires, sized appropriately, or a set of Morley's Muscle Carrozzerias, or on the rear, the RC wheel, or Kosman, and availability of those is getting scarce.

Wave washer stacks (RICOR or Race Tech Cartridge Emulators) and aftermarket springs for the front end, some good aftermarket shocks for the rear, and SS brake lines for at least the front, and HH pads, you're pretty-well good to go. Adding solid motor mounts is going to make the bars more 'buzzy,' and if you're older, and already have nerve issues in your hands, you don't need to aggravate that. The frame braces get a positive review from those who run them, so there are other things you can do for handling, like widened, braced swingarms, fork braces, and working on your handling skills by taking a rider's course from one of the nationally-recognized instructors.

Have fun choosing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
thanks for the info man.I'm in my mid 40's and been riding since i was a kid. my love for bikes started young. the vCard feeling you get when it's just you the bike and the road is one of the greatest feelings.i love sport bikes for that reason but I've always loved the vmax ever since it's birth in 85 when i was a kid and my brother bought onecand give me the first ride on it.i told myself I'll own one someday and now i have one thanks to my awesome big brother. i

When I picked up the bike I was expecting handling to be lacking, but it's not that bad. I dont think it's unfair to note that it doesn't handle as well as it accelerates in stock-ish guise but I sure didn't mean to imply that it sucks. I didnt expect it to be an R1 killer but it does make an EXCELLENT HD killer and I'm HD country so this is more than a little fun!

I got the progressive fork springs and eventually I'll upgrade the rear shocks but beyond this (for my riding style) I hit the point of diminishing return. These mods are just as much about touring comfort as handling for me and I expect it will be a notable improvement to both. I know if I hit any ralleys this year the guys wearing radials are going to walk away from me in the corners and thats ok. I'm reluctant to put thousands into it until I know for sure if I can bring it with me to the Philippines. I have some long trips planned for this summer with it, maybe when I'm done I'll change my mind on the radials but for now it seems good enough.

My first mod was Progressive springs and fluid
My second mod was HH brake pads
Both were spot on and made a big difference in how the bike handles
a few days ago, I tried out a Shinko rear tire to replace the factory Dunlop Qualifier - another step function change...
can't wait to get the front Shinko on....

I know if I hit any ralleys this year the guys wearing radials are going to walk away from me in the corners and thats ok. I'm reluctant to put thousands into it until I know for sure if I can bring it with me to the Philippines. I have some long trips planned for this summer with it, maybe when I'm done I'll change my mind on the radials but for now it seems good enough.

This is what Sean told me....and interestingly enough my girlfriend said that same thing (she also has had a Vmax). Yes the Vmax frame will flex on you in a turn (in a hard turn and in stock form)...but just stay in it. It wont kill you, it just wont inspire confidence. Ive seen people with just progressive springs, and upgraded motor mounts, ride AMAZINGLY fast on the stock bias ply tires.

My girlfriend used to pass sports bikes in turns, they would slow down, and she wouldn't.

i don't plan on changing too much.i like riding in the mountains so handling will be the big thing. but i don't think it handles that bad anyways.and i love blowing off harleys.

This is what Sean told me....and interestingly enough my girlfriend said that same thing (she also has had a Vmax). Yes the Vmax frame will flex on you in a turn (in a hard turn and in stock form)...but just stay in it. It wont kill you, it just wont inspire confidence. Ive seen people with just progressive springs, and upgraded motor mounts, ride AMAZINGLY fast on the stock bias ply tires.

My girlfriend used to pass sports bikes in turns, they would slow down, and she wouldn't.

Brah! that one sounds like a keeper! :bike1:

Latest posts

Back