Where ARE the front coils?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnclePhilthy

Reaction score
Got the airbox out, side covers off, cant even see 'em let alone reach 'em... I can follow the wires up to where they disappear in a maze of electrical stuff in there, and no sign of the coils...

What exactly in simple terms must be done/removed to get to them, to be able to replace plug wires?

Thanks ....Philthy

Philthy, see the tray that your ignitor sits on? Remove four bolts....two per side and then slide the whole thing toward the rear of the bike. The front coils mount to the front of the vboost servo motor. It might help for you to remove the bolts holding the radiator on and then let it hang forward. IF you do that you can remove that rubber heat shield easily too.

Mark...thank you very much sir!

Done that and although the 'tray' didn't move too much toward the rear, it did move enough to find the coils and r&r the wires...

Don't know what the hell I'd do if I didn't have you guys to depend on.... Still wish I could find a decent AFFORDABLE independent wrench in my area...I'd much rather let someone else more knowledgable do some of these things...but until I ever do... it's me n' her, some cheap metric tools and this FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC forum!

Meanwhile, back in the garage!...

Philthy

I was able to do it without removing anything but the scoops. It wasn't easy but the right tools come in handy. long handled tubing/hose pliers work great as well as a little squirt of lube to make the nuts come off easier. My bike only had 1100 miles on it though so I'm sure that made it easier.

LOL... If you were a girl that would have turned me on...:biglaugh:

:hmmm: ... does this go along with your "a little squirt of lube to make the nuts come off easier"? :rofl_200::banana:

It's good to be the moderator!. And I thought you could take it. :confused2:
:confused2:

I can... I just dish it out too...:clapping:

No disrespect intended... Just friendly joking...:biglaugh:

:hmmm: ... does this go along with your "a little squirt of lube to make the nuts come off easier"? :rofl_200::banana:

That was for Mark...:whistlin:

Ahh, excellent, yes, excellent... Hope your up and about soon. Riding weather is right around the corner and we've all got cabin fever.

On a tech note, I'm in the market for a battery, been 3 years on the yuasa wet cell. The cheapest Odyssey I could find was on ebay for $130. I know they get raves, but at 3 times the cost of a wet cell, I don't see getting 8-9 years out of it, so I'm back to thinking about the standard type. May buy the oversize at Walmart for $43.00 and do the mod that Sean wrote up with the battery box.

Red98vmax

Ahh, excellent, yes, excellent... Hope your up and about soon. Riding weather is right around the corner and we've all got cabin fever.

On a tech note, I'm in the market for a battery, been 3 years on the yuasa wet cell. The cheapest Odyssey I could find was on ebay for $130. I know they get raves, but at 3 times the cost of a wet cell, I don't see getting 8-9 years out of it, so I'm back to thinking about the standard type. May buy the oversize at Walmart for $43.00 and do the mod that Sean wrote up with the battery box.

Red98vmax

I have the Panasonic in mine and it works GREAT!

Do a search for Panasonic. I think 82ndCowboy just installed one. I installed mine within 150 miles of ownership and shelved the stocker. It's around 50 bucks or so and WELL worth the dosh!:thumbs up:

I was able to do it without removing anything .... It wasn't easy but the right tools come in handy.... long tubing/hose ... work great as well as a little squirt of lube to make the nuts come off easier.

:whistlin:

well, at least you didn't get into how much torque was applied. :rofl_200:

lol, this is kinda like madlibs:smileystooges:

OK....at ease MEN!!! This ain't a discussion about sticky nuts here!!! At least it wasn't supposed to be!....

Chris...kudos in changing yours with only side covers removed...I can't even SEE the coils that way...let alone get in there to unscrew your sticky nuts... (ALRIGHT no laughing at that remark!)... this is a serious matter here!

Plus one on the 'Panaosonic' battery...mine was very affordable and is working real well...There's another thread in here somewhere about that....

So here's the results of a few hours of hard labor...major improvement from about 4grand on up, but, still have a low speed stutter, and one cyl dropping at idle.. Plugs seem to be ok...So now we're talking carb problems?...Time to do the shotgun thing?... WHUTTT!!!!

Dazed n' Confused...Philthy

Latest posts

Back