Why does the 1985 VMAX has so much HP?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who recalls Jeff Bridges' response to that comment (below) in the movie, "Starman?"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XX9ijD-0Rw4

My stock 2000 pulled 118-119 RWHP on 2 different dyno's and Leecifer's stock 2000 pulled 118-121.
So as far as which year has the most HP I'd have to say they are all capable of good numbers but so far the stock 2000's have put out the best numbers I have seen. ;)

And I may be slightly Biased But IMHO Green is the fastest color because Red means Stop, Yellow means slow down and Green means Go.......... !!!!!!!!
:punk: :biglaugh: :punk:

attachment.php

Let's face reality. The 85's were the Real McCoy. All others made since were just carbon copies made & sold to those who missed out on owning The Legend when it first sold.

In my home town, the 85 red ones were much faster than the 85 amethyst blue one was.

Let's face reality. The 85's were the Real McCoy. All others made since were just carbon copies made & sold to those who missed out on owning The Legend when it first sold.

In my home town, the 85 red ones were much faster than the 85 amethyst blue one was.
IMO it took Yamaha until 1999-2000 to finally get it right !!! :biglaugh:
After that the only thing they changed was the paint.
http://www.vmaxguru.com/Tech/Gen1/Pages/History/Gen1_History.htm

The way I see it if they had to compensate for the pipe in '86 and later
and they also added larger manifolds in '86 and later-
would it not make since that adding an '86 or later larger manifold would create a larger gas flow for the '85's. Exactly what I did.

I think I have owned almost if not every year model Gen 1 out there & some are just faster than others. I did not want to give into the 85 myth & let people know they were right about the 85 my 85 #464 is so fast it will smoke my Gen 2:rofl_200:Oh I woke up after that dream:biglaugh:

I think I have owned almost if not every year model Gen 1 out there & some are just faster than others. I did not want to give into the 85 myth & let people know they were right about the 85 my 85 #464 is so fast it will smoke my Gen 2:rofl_200:Oh I woke up after that dream:biglaugh:
Well then my '85 #262 is faster than your #464.:ummm:

Well "right on" by Yamaha standards is 15-17 mm, as per the book, with 15 mm being rich, and 17 mm being lean. So 15, 16, or 17 is acceptable....but the Vmax for most hp likes 17.

My Max did run better with the float set at the lower limit. That was done after the valves adjusted to the tight limit. The idea IMHO is to get all four cylinders working to same. The carbs are to last thing to adjusts. Valve adjustments have a direct connection to cam timing. Many people like to run them rich which will cover up a multiply of sins.

Back