Wobble, fixed again...some questions.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbeduckman

Reaction score
A couple months ago, Mr. Morley did some work on my bike, including tightening the steering to get rid of my decel 45mph wobble. Last night it came back. I jacked up the front today, and the steering was very loose, bouncing back hard and often from the stops when the bars were left to turn on their own. I've tightened it back up, and the wobble is gone for now, but I'm left with a couple of questions.

1) Those who have done this, how often do I need to re-torque this thing? It was originally "fixed" about 2,000 miles ago.

2) I'm okay with doing it with some frequency, because it isn't real hard...but would like to have the proper spanning wrench to do it with. Who knows the part number or an equivalent tool to make this easier. I had to beat the crap out of that thing to get it to turn using a screwdriver, and I'd rather not have to do that again.

Thanks.

Before using the screwdriver method did you loosen the head nut on the top triple and the top fork bolts?

What you can do is mark the bottom nut and put another mark on the upper bearing cover. That way you can see if it loosens. The bearings and nuts do settle. What I do is work the steering handle back and forth, loosen, re-torque, back and forth, etc. Then, torque again and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then, loosen and re-torque.

They do have a tool, Motion Pro part number 08-0234. Use that to tighten the bottom castellated nut. You would also use it to hold that while tightening the upper nut.

+1 more likely the bearings and/pr nuts settled. I friend of mine had his wobble come back after about 1.5k miles but now after 3k more after re-torquing all is well.

I'm pretty sure my wobble was from lifting the front end and letting it hit too hard, causing the bearings to seat a little more. Needless to say, I'm more carefull when the front comes up.

Thanks for the help guys. Yes, I did loosen the top nut, and the lower tripple clamps. I did mark a spot where everything seems to be good. What amazed me is how little adjustment it took to make a big difference. At first, I got it too tight, and could barely make the thing go in a straight line; I backed the nuts off maybe 1/8" (not 1/8 turn) and it's perfect. 1/8"-1/4" more and it was too loose.

Last edited:
I have tightened mine up a few times now in the past 6k miles. I have finally given in and ordered the Furbur washer. Hopefully the washer fix will keep the proper torque.

When I replaced my head bearings, I took the (homemade) furbur washer off.

I first torqued the bottom nut to factory setting (using a ground socket to make a tool I could use with the torque wrench) and that was too loose.

I then torqued it a bit higher (using a shock absorber preload tool) and it was perfect.

Then about a month later, it started hi-speed wobbling again. I tightened it once more using the bounce test method, and it's been fine ever since. Took it to 125mph today and it was like on rails.

So I also think it needs initial adjustment, then a second one after maybe 5-600 miles of settling in, and then it's good for a decent while, depending on how hard you ride (wheelies etc).

Back