Won't start AGAIN!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CustomMax

Reaction score
I had my bike sitting while I fixed my MadMax issue and it wouldn't start. I thought I wasn't getting spark, but I let it charge awhile and just kept cranking the engine until it sputtered so I figured I had spark after all. Then it started and was running rough for a minute then it started running perfect again so I rode for the day and it started fine at least 10 times and I figured it was just from sitting for a week or 2 but after the day of riding I parked it then it rained the next day so it stayed parked. Then yesterday I tried starting it and now it just keeps cranking but won't start again. WTF!! I'm ready to call a priest cause I'm starting to think it's possessed!! Has anyone experienced this before? I'm at wits end. Thanks, Ed:bang head:

When mine had these symptoms, I noticed that by letting off the start button, it would try to fire - vs - keeping on cranking with no fire. Each time I'd let off the start button, it would try to fire, but when keeping the button depressed, it would NEVER try to fire, usually culminating in a battery too low to even turn it over. VERY FRUSTRATING.

I did two(2) things. I cleaned the starter to allow for best cranking with the least amount of amperage, and also did the bigger battery box mod and added a larger battery.

Well, I did a third thing as well: I cleaned up a bunch of connectors between the battery and the R/R and also cleaned the mounting bolts of the R/R to insure good charging of the new, bigger battery.

I have never had this issue crop up since.

That's exactly what mines doing! It's when I let off the button it fires (when at all) I'll try and see about what you did. Thanks, Ed

I had my bike sitting while I fixed my MadMax issue and it wouldn't start. I thought I wasn't getting spark, but I let it charge awhile and just kept cranking the engine until it sputtered so I figured I had spark after all. Then it started and was running rough for a minute then it started running perfect again so I rode for the day and it started fine at least 10 times and I figured it was just from sitting for a week or 2 but after the day of riding I parked it then it rained the next day so it stayed parked. Then yesterday I tried starting it and now it just keeps cranking but won't start again. WTF!! I'm ready to call a priest cause I'm starting to think it's possessed!! Has anyone experienced this before? I'm at wits end. Thanks, Ed:bang head:

Your first "starting" decription almost sounds like it was flooded??

Check the battery voltage when cranking. Sounds like a bad battery. It needs to stay well above 10 volts (preferably much more) under load. Try jump starting it with the car and if it lights off right away you probably need a battery or your charging system is bad.

Sean

i . JUST MY " AUTO MECHANIC " INPUT , YEARS AGO ON ALL FORDS & CHRYSLER'S , THAT HAD THIS SYMPTOM , NO SPARK UNTIL YOU RELEASED THE KEY & THEY IT WOULD KICK/FIRE UP , IT WAS ALWAYS THE " IGNITION CONTROL MODULE ! .. AND I MEAN , " EVERY TIME " !

I'll check the voltage while cranking as soon as I get home from work. Thanks, and it kinda makes sense because I knew something was weird when how I got it to start firing at all was to switch the headlight to high beam between trys but I thought that was just coincidence but maybe that extra shot of voltage helped something.

Ok, Checked the voltage while cranking, 11.2 volts. Is there a way to check the ignition control module, but first I gotta find it. I probably should throw a new set of plugs in it cause I'm sure their fouled now. These bikes really are like woman, the prettier they are the more of a bitch they can be.

Def swap the plugs. They are cheap and maybe all you need to do.

Def swap the plugs. They are cheap and maybe all you need to do.

Just put fresh plugs and it won't fire at all. it's like it's not getting spark, it just cranks but won't fire at all again. When I did finally get it to start last time it just would fire sporadicly then was sputtering as I held the start button then let off the starter and was running rough then feathered the gas then slowly started running better then it roared back to life and ran well all day then parked it and a day and a half later now not starting again, does this thing have an ignition control module and where would I find it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ed

if you ground the plugs do they all spark?

Garret, that's just it, just like the other day, it wasnt getting spark but if I kept cranking it it would fire sporadicly then all of a sudden it started fireing just a little then it started sputtering then started but now it won't even sputter at all. I have power to the coils and it's cranking at 11.4 at the battery. But what would cause it to have spark erratically ?

how about a bad CDI box? electrical is NOT my good spot. i'm sure sean could send you some parts to try swapping around. he does the exchange program.

Oh yea one more thing, I had to fix my madmax transfer case and now have to pull it back apart to replace the front seal because it's leaking oil all over the rectifier. Do you think that could cause it to not have spark?

The TCI (transistor controlled ignition) box is buried above the front cylinder head, the same place the vboost servo and front coils are. If you remove the left scoop, and the relay plate behind it you should see a black box with a million wires going into it...that's the TCI module. It's a hassle to get out. Since you have a pre-90, you have the older analog box that isn't as reliable as the digitals put in 90 and up. Older ones are known to go bad, where the digital ones rarely ever do.

But from it popping just as you let off makes it sound like bad voltage. My old quad would do that when using the electric starter, but would fire right up if you pulled the recoil. Had a shitty battery. Try cranking it with it on a fast charger, or use jumpers off a car battery (with the cars engine off). See if that helps. If it does, you could have battery issues. Since it starts fine after the initial, it sounds even more like low voltage...it charges up as it's running, but after sitting for a while it doesn't have the oomph. Sounds like a bad battery.

Check the main ground, it's on a bolt near the oil fill. Ensure it's clean.

I doubt oil on the R/R would have anything to do with it. Should be sealed, and it certainly gets wet when it rains. R/Rs do go bad, espicially the old shunt style up to about 97 had. The one on my 97 slowly crapped out. That would result in low voltage with the motor running, possibly low enough so as to not charge at all.

What about bump starting it? I don't think this bike is that tough to bump. Put it in second, and standing next to the bike push it as fast as you can, hop on and drop the clutch. If it starts easy that way....bam....low battery power. Having someone to help makes it even easier.

I think I'll just try jumping it with my car and if still no luck I'll see what Sean suggests and try his exchange program. Thanks Guys, I'll keep you posted, Ed. Ps electrical is my weakest point too.

Last edited:
I think I'll just try jumping it with my car and if still no luck I'll see what Sean suggests and try his exchange program. Thanks Guys, I'll keep you posted, Ed. Ps electrical is my weakest point too.

ah yes car jumping. always enough juice that way!

It's fine to jump it running or not. The voltage (which is the part that will hurt anything) will be the same.

Sean

I charging my jumper pack first, if that doesnt put out enough juice then I'll try with my car.

Back