Would like to buy VMax but stuck on what year...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValveGod

Reaction score
First off, I'm liking this site, especially the dyno subforum. I'd love to get a VMax for this next upcoming season. My GS850 just isn't giving me that feeling anymore. I've done a little research but it seems everytime I think the '85 was the 145hp year and everything else up to '09 were 115hp years, someone comes along claiming either more HP with an '86+ or less HP with an '85. Like I said, I'd like a VMax but I don't know how I'd feel buying anything less than an '85... I don't think it'd be the same unless there's something I have missed. If I have missed something, I'm sure someone will enlighten me. Thanks.

First, welcome to the Forum! Vmaxes from '85 - '07 were 145 hp at the crank. It's 110-115 horsepower at the rear wheel due to drive line losses. I would get one from '96 on up. You will have the better forks, brakes, ignition, charging system and beefier engine block.

It's common knowledge that 1990 was the fastest, best handling, best looking,
in fact BEST everything!:punk:

Attachments

• ashlyn 008 (Large).jpg
    ashlyn 008 (Large).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 45
Hello No Name

OK you are hearing hmmmm wives tales about this yr has more HP then this yr etc. The only reason why they say the 85 is the fastest was due to the exhaust I believe.....
Trust me I have been through a 99, 03 engines and currently running an 85 engine with 99 heads, 85 cams.
Glad to hear your moving up from a GS850 to a VMAX it will feel like stepping out of a Bonneville into a GTO both heavy bikes with poor handling but the torque and hp is night and day difference.. and just because its a VMAX!

2008 is the fastest :rofl_200: but its the hardest year to find :bang head:
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Hello No Name

OK you are hearing hmmmm wives tales about this yr has more HP then this yr etc. The only reason why they say the 85 is the fastest was due to the exhaust I believe.....
Trust me I have been through a 99, 03 engines and currently running an 85 engine with 99 heads, 85 cams.
Glad to hear your moving up from a GS850 to a VMAX it will feel like stepping out of a Bonneville into a GTO both heavy bikes with poor handling but the torque and hp is night and day difference.. and just because its a VMAX!

No name? I was sure I'd get a straight answer if I went ahead and asked. I didn't what key words to use in a search and couldn't find anything in the FAQ so I just posted. The GS was a good larger displacement 4cyl for me to start on(can't beat $850 either) but as always, I want MORE.... plus I need something to beat my dad's V65(we both absolutely love VMaxes, though). If I purchase a stock one, I already have an idea what I'd do exhaust wise and whatnot. Thanks for the welcomes and I look forward to reading about a lot of badass bikes on these forums and hopefully sharing my own in a matter of a few months.

It's common knowledge that 1990 was the fastest, best handling, best looking,
in fact BEST everything!:punk:

Sharp bike, interesting tail, just not big on the paint job.

No year was particularly faster then any other. The newer bikes have better castings and as a whole tend to make better average power but not always more then older ones. The newest engines (96 and up) are the best candidates for big displacement engines but the older ones work fine in that aspect too.

93 and up at least gets the larger brakes and forks, 96 was the spin on oil filters, and 99 had certain transmission upgrades.

Other then that, buy based on condition, color, and add-ons if you like it. Keep in mind a lower mileage older vmax is not necessarily better then a newer higher mileage bike. Sitting for long periods can be harmfull if they weren't prepped right.

Of course some add-ons may or may not mean that the bike was treated more harshly.

having said that - I do have my 05 for sale and actually just found out that I will have an 85 for sale. The 05 price would be $6000 back to stock (except the trans and solid mounts). The 85 was built by us and finished up last summer. I think one or two of the guys here may have a pic of it when we took it to Topeka. It's Brads bike that we put all the black chrome on and the huge mufflers on the 4-2 system. Anyone have a pic? The burgundy bike. I charge him $7500 to build the bike with no labor figured in (since it was a friend). It has a 2004 (or newer - don't remember the exact year) engine in it, venture diff, and everything either black chromed, painted, or powder coated. Looking to get $5000 for it.

Sean

Hello and welcome to the site VG! :clapping:
Here is a link to a site that has a history of the Vmax through the years. Basically, the newer Vmax you can find you will be better off although after the 2003 model year it was only paint that changed.
Best of luck in your quest to find "your" Vmax and I'm sure both you and your dad won't be disappointed when you run it against the V65!:punk:

thanks for the welcome and website.

No year was particularly faster then any other. The newer bikes have better castings and as a whole tend to make better average power but not always more then older ones. The newest engines (96 and up) are the best candidates for big displacement engines but the older ones work fine in that aspect too.

93 and up at least gets the larger brakes and forks, 96 was the spin on oil filters, and 99 had certain transmission upgrades.

Other then that, buy based on condition, color, and add-ons if you like it. Keep in mind a lower mileage older vmax is not necessarily better then a newer higher mileage bike. Sitting for long periods can be harmfull if they weren't prepped right.

Of course some add-ons may or may not mean that the bike was treated more harshly.

having said that - I do have my 05 for sale and actually just found out that I will have an 85 for sale. The 05 price would be $6000 back to stock (except the trans and solid mounts). The 85 was built by us and finished up last summer. I think one or two of the guys here may have a pic of it when we took it to Topeka. It's Brads bike that we put all the black chrome on and the huge mufflers on the 4-2 system. Anyone have a pic? The burgundy bike. I charge him $7500 to build the bike with no labor figured in (since it was a friend). It has a 2004 (or newer - don't remember the exact year) engine in it, venture diff, and everything either black chromed, painted, or powder coated. Looking to get $5000 for it.

Sean

i was going to get back to you on that PM but never got around to it. it's good to know that in buying a later model max that i wont be losing out necessarily. when i have more time i'll ask more about the bikes you may have for sale. biggest deal for me would be the disance but KS wouldnt be bad.

Just got the rear halve of the 05 bike put back to stock today. Going to be working on the front end this weekend. First thing we are going to do is test the inverted adapters we have. Then I will put the stock front end parts back on. Last thing to move back will be the header.

Sean

Well I guess first things first, I'm not going to be promising anything until I negotiate a settlement with Progressive(stupid broad pulled out in front of me while I was riding my dad's Medura, hence the V65). Once that's finalized I'll move in on a certain VMax. I was curious about pics of the ones you mentioned one2dmax and looked on your site but it seems all the links on MorleysMuscle.com are broken and for the 05 Vmax on the older site, there's just a bunch of red x's. On second, I this post should have probably been a PM instead.:bang head:

Hell man... Go for the new 09.
Finance it to the hilt and then when the economy totally crashes and all banks go totally under from the government spending trillions of dollars over and over, all chaos is going to break loose and debt collection will be the last on anyone's mind.
So you'll end up with a new 09 Max for next to nothing.

:punk:

maybe a bail out.

Cowbow, the 05 bike is the one I rode at bike week two years ago when a few of us came down there.

Sean

I have an 85, w/ that said,18 to 80 blind cripple or crazy, I like'em all,,,,,,,,,but it's like buying a 59 chevy, it would be cooler to tell your friends that it was a 57''! iether way you'll love ur max.

maybe a bail out.

Cowbow, the 05 bike is the one I rode at bike week two years ago when a few of us came down there.

Sean

If I could get a bailout from the government Sean. I'd buy your 05 Just to have another one. But as it is I had to squeeze my budget for the last month to save up for Bike Week.
I was in Daytona Today, and it was busy up there. So I think next weekend is going to be totally rockin!

:punk:

Hello and welcome to the site VG! :clapping:
Here is a link to a site that has a history of the Vmax through the years. Basically, the newer Vmax you can find you will be better off although after the 2003 model year it was only paint that changed.
Best of luck in your quest to find "your" Vmax and I'm sure both you and your dad won't be disappointed when you run it against the V65!:punk:

That is an excellent piece of documentation!! :clapping::clapping:

The 85 -86 model Vmax were prone to losing second gear. Beware of them unless it has an updated gear set installed.

93 is good year due to fork and front brake upgrades.

If you like the spin on oild filter I think it was 95 and up.

Ignition changed also to a digital system in the mid 90's.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy any year if low miliage and taken care of.

Note: Many of the early models didn't slip second gear unless piped and jetted. That seemed to be the straw that broke the camels back.

Piped and Jetted has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's all about the rider and his/her shifting habits.

The spin on was 96 (which is a stonger block).

The ignition went digital in 1990 (not the mid 90's) so you can swap any electrical part from 1990-2007 or 1985-1989.

1993 was indeed the thicker fork year with larger diameter rotors and 4 piston brakes. We have adapters to make the 85-92 versions use the same larger rotors but with 6 piston brakes. (I have one set of 6 piston calipers that bolt right on to the 93 and up as well.)

Sean Morley

Back