Would you do it???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc-vmax

Reaction score
Question but first let me explain my situation. I have a 2005 (stock) VMax that I currently can't ride because I am stationed in Japan and it won't pass Japanese emissions test. So I thought I would just do without until I get back to the states in 3-5 years.

Now here comes the question. There is a guy here that has a 2004 VMax(Canadian model) same specs as U.S. model with about 1400 miles on it that has already passed emissions. He is selling it for 6K but I am sure I can get it for 5K or 55. He has about 1K in extras that he is throwing in on top of it, (pipes 4 into4, soft saddle bags, fork bag and a couple other things). I really don't need a second bike and I don't have any place to store the 2005 except under a pop-up canopy with a cover on it in the back yard. Just thinking if it's to good to pass up. Side note: I could take them both back to the states for free. Sorry for being long winded.

So what would you do????

Since you can bring them both back for free, I'd say yes definitely!

Just make sure to store the other one as carefully as you can, like if you were winter storing it.

If the cost of the '04 isn't a problem, and it sounds like a fair price to me, I'd say sure, do it! Nothing wrong with owning 2, 3, or even 4 V Max's...IMO!! :biglaugh:

If the cost of the '04 isn't a problem, and it sounds like a fair price to me, I'd say sure, do it! Nothing wrong with owning 2, 3, or even 4 V Max's...IMO!! :biglaugh:

+1 to what Danny said! You can NEVER have too many Vmax's, just ask him cause he knows:rofl_200:

Thanks for all the replies. ROLLIE I have no idea why the 05 won't pass. I had a Yamaha mechanic do a full tune-up on the bike, he even called the Yamaha company to ask for guidance and they had none. One side was good and the other side was waaaaaayyyyy off. It runs like a champ no smoke no nothing. As far as everybody elses comments thanks. I may have to pull the trigger on it. BTW I am a retired Marine but still serving as a DOD civilian working with Jarheads everyday. OOOHHH RAAAHHH

I assume you tried adjusting the A/F screw on the '05? Just screw in a turn on the side that doesn't pass to make it waaay lean, just for the emissions test? Of course, make sure to sync the carb so it all runs smoothly too..

Then as soon as the test is passed, reset back to the right setting!

I assume you tried adjusting the A/F screw on the '05? Just screw in a turn on the side that doesn't pass to make it waaay lean, just for the emissions test? Of course, make sure to sync the carb so it all runs smoothly too..

Then as soon as the test is passed, reset back to the right setting!

What he said! I think with our help you can get that '05 to pass emissions!

No reason an '04 and an '05 wouldn't other than the carbs are off on the '05.

Yamaha Mechanics are idiots when it comes to Vmax's. It's proven! :damn angry:

Chris

The problem is they(Yamaha Mechs) are the ones that do the pre-inspection and have the pre-test equipment. Then for the actual test I have to take it 4 hours away and leave it over night(stay in hotel), it costs about 1,000 bucks for the test plus hotel and I get 2 shots at the test and then I have to pay for it again. If everything went right it would cost me about 2000 bucks to get mine on the road versus buying this 04. I wish I could get the 05 on the road but I don't want to try and then get shot down and loose all the money.

O.K. then , put the 2K towards the other Max & bring all ya'll asses home soon & safe. We'll help you get it passed when you get back , if required. No bike emissions in Jaw-Ga. Thanks for serving. '68-'74 S-2 Combat Engineers . We'll get you across the river. :punk:

Combat Engineers are the shit!. Need it moved? Need it blown up? Then need it rebuilt? We can do that...:th_biggun:
I did my time on the rock, might even have some offspring in Korea and or PI I don't know about. Good times.

On a side note: It sounds like its a simple carb problem to fix and you will eventually need to address it stateside, but for the money it makes sense to get a second if you can afford it and you really wont to ride in Oki. Then you can mod the hell out of one and keep the other stock when you get back...NOT!
Lets us know what you decide.

Thanks for the advise. I am actually on mainland Japan. No emissions back in Arizona where I will go when I come back. Served from 86-06, 4 years in the grunts and then lat moved out to the wing side of the Corps. Carb issue huh, can't believe something can run so smooth and strong and have a problem.

Thanks for the advise. I am actually on mainland Japan. No emissions back in Arizona where I will go when I come back. Served from 86-06, 4 years in the grunts and then lat moved out to the wing side of the Corps. Carb issue huh, can't believe something can run so smooth and strong and have a problem.

86 to present myself. I took the BIG lat in 2001 and went to the chair Force.:biglaugh:
You would think it would give you indication of a sick carb. I can attest that when one gets plugged or is out of tune you will know it. Running on three sticks out like a sore thumb. It may be a tad bit rich on all four. Stock exhaust collect in a central bladder if you will, then expels out both pipes unless its an aftermarket exhaust then one front and the opposite rear will be on one side and the remainder cylinders on the other pipe. Without knowing the mods that you may have its hard to say but its nothing to lose sleep over. If and when you have time to figure it out we can run down the procedures to a base line tune and then fine it out from there. Running smooth now is a good thing.

Thanks for all the help and advise. I am going to meet the guy with the 04 to take it for a ride. If all goes well and it's in as good of condition as he says, then I will buy that one tomorrow. Thanks all and Semper Fi!!!!

usmc-vmax, your scaring me! im going back to okinawa in a year and are you saying their standards will not allow my 99' with a kerker 4-1 pass? i didnt know they smoged bikes? shit!%^&%%$. any heads up or ideas to ponder as i make preperations to get her over there? maybe this will be my excuese to get an 2010? of course never selling my 99' damn.

Question but first let me explain my situation. I have a 2005 (stock) VMax that I currently can't ride because I am stationed in Japan and it won't pass Japanese emissions test. So I thought I would just do without until I get back to the states in 3-5 years.

Now here comes the question. There is a guy here that has a 2004 VMax(Canadian model) same specs as U.S. model with about 1400 miles on it that has already passed emissions. He is selling it for 6K but I am sure I can get it for 5K or 55. He has about 1K in extras that he is throwing in on top of it, (pipes 4 into4, soft saddle bags, fork bag and a couple other things). I really don't need a second bike and I don't have any place to store the 2005 except under a pop-up canopy with a cover on it in the back yard. Just thinking if it's to good to pass up. Side note: I could take them both back to the states for free. Sorry for being long winded.

So what would you do????
I dont bealive its tru.

The law is not working backwards.

If something was made then it can be used so thats why he registered
his 04.
All v-max's were made in JPN. I saw multiple of JPN v-maxes flying around the web, mostly on youtube.
How did they registered those bikes?

Im sure that emission test are for new vehicles.

I dont bealive its tru.

The law is not working backwards.

If something was made then it can be used so thats why he registered
his 04.
All v-max's were made in JPN. I saw multiple of JPN v-maxes flying around the web, mostly on youtube.
How did they registered those bikes?

Im sure that emission test are for new vehicles.

Yeah the story might seem a little off but I could definitely believe it is difficult to register a bike from out of the country. Maybe the 04 was originally in japan? Or maybe the owner got lucky when he went to register it?

Reminds me of when I took my bike for inspection. It doesn't have front signals so I used some hose clamps to hold a pair onto the forks and the bozo at the inspection station never even questioned it. Some of those guys don't give two shits about the job and others take it way too seriously. :confused2:

Back