Would you do it???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can believe it. I think what happened was the guy bought the bike brand new back in 2004, so it might have been easier back then. Once the bike passes then it is good for life as long as you keep the paper work for it. The Japanese VMAX's are toned way down from my understanding, not even v-boost. VMAXIMUM I will check on if its the same in OKI or not, I believe that it is and get this, I don't believe there is an inspection station in OKI. I think the 99 is exempt from the emissions test. I think it is 2001 and newer. I sure wouldn't buy a 2010 right now.

So if you buy an actual japanese model, you might end up with a french/japanese market Max, shamefully emasculated to 100hp instead of 140 and no vboost. I wonder what that feels like? Being used to mine I can't imagine it. And from France I gather that it takes quite a bit of work to get it back to full power. Now, would I do it? Hmm..

And something else I just got reminded of lately - in France they get Gen II Vmax with....

....100 HP ! !

The bike I am looking at is a Canadian model not Japanese. I've already talked to Yamaha it is completely U.S. spec compliant and from what I can research it has the same H.P. and torque as ours. I think the guy got lucky when it got the emissions test plus when he bought it the company that he bought it through had to deal with the emissions not him.

Well last update on this. I went and looked at the 04, took it for a test ride and I walked away from the deal. I just wasn't set on owning a second bike, I love my 05 and will just have to wait a few years to ride it again. I think in the mean time I am going to mod it up a little while I have the cash. Thanks for all your posts they were very helpful, but in the end I just went with my gut. VMAXIMUM I will get the info for you.

Well last update on this. I went and looked at the 04, took it for a test ride and I walked away from the deal. I just wasn't set on owning a second bike, I love my 05 and will just have to wait a few years to ride it again. I think in the mean time I am going to mod it up a little while I have the cash. Thanks for all your posts they were very helpful, but in the end I just went with my gut. VMAXIMUM I will get the info for you.

If I was you I'd still have a play with the A/F screws on your '05, just give them a turn in each on the side that isn't passing emissions test and I bet it'll go straight through..

Naughty G I am going to take it for a second pre-check at another place and see what they say. Thanks for the help.

VMAXIMUM take a look at the below link. It has all the info you should need. You won't have to do the emissions but you will have to do a brake certificate. Also you will have to have the bike JCI'd, are you familiar with what JCI is? You may have a problem with the pipes depending how loud it is, I believe 96db is the limit in Japan. Anything else let me know.

http://www.koushins.net/cruiserz_home/documents/SO%20YOU%20WANT%20TO%20BRING%20YOUR%20MOTORCYCLE%20TO%20JAPAN.htm

Just now looking at your thread. What isn't passing? Too rich? I'd take the carbs off, set the float height, and change the jet size to 150 mikuni's. Should run cleaner and more power with that stuff done and pass anything you ever wanted it too.

Sean

I think I am going to try what you guys are suggesting about getting my bike to pass the emissions. If I replaced the jets and made them 150, how will that give me more power, isn't the stock ones bigger than that??? I'm learning here so bare with me.

Stock is 152.5 and in most cases it's still too large. Yamaha is jetting for all elevations and rider situations as well as "playing it safe" for the customer. By having a slightly rich main jet they don't have to worry about a customer coming back with a burned up engine and trying to blame them on it.

Even most header quipped bikes still don't need bigger mains. They need smaller ones. Leaner makes more HP and richer makes more Torque. You still want to be close to get the best overall power/torque combination.

There is a lot more to it then this simple explanation but just put some trust into that it works.

I just took apart a 2003 last night that had super rich float settings. Adjusted that, changed the mains and got it idling correctly now. Will be taking it for a run later this week (have to change tires, fork seals/springs, and put on new shocks and even a battery.)

Sean

Thanks for the info. Sean I really do appreciate the advise. One more thing where can I buy the Mikuni 150's at? What I will probably do is buy them and then take it to a shop and have them do the work for me, as I said before I am still learning. The work here is relatively cheap.

I can supply them or your local dealer can probably order them in (about any brand you won't need a Yamaha dealer). You want small round mikuni jets. They are $10 plus shipping from me. I could probably send them in a padded envelope for under $5.

If you have someone else do the work you need to print off the float setting picture so they can do that too. There are plenty of pics here though that you can use to do the work yourself.

Sean

IMO if you're looking to pass an emissions test I'd run the 147.5's in her.

It's stock right? That would all but guarantee you a pass.

Chris

Sean that price works for me. I will give you a call I guess next week since it's Friday night there already. Also what picture are you talking about printing off??

4GASEM it is completely stock all the way down to the bone. I do just need to pass an emissions test and then I can go right back to regular jets. It only has to pass once in its lifetime.

If I run the 150's or the 147.5's would I need to change back after the emissions test. I thought the leaner the mixture the hotter the bike would run. I will be back in AZ in 2 to 4 years so that is why I'm asking.

the 150's should work just fine at most elevations/temps. The 147.5's might be a bit lean unless you put on some slip-ons or drill the stock mufflers out.

Sean

Would the 147.5's help to ensure that I would pass the emissions test? Is there a problem going back to the stock ones once the test is over, as in a change to the carbs that can't be changed back. I just want to pass this Damn test so I can get my ass on the road again.

Back