X-iled's Vmax - Streetfighter project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sept '09 is when the last pictures were posted. Probably too busy having fun riding it to post more! :punk:
He was last on 2/10/10, maybe we'll get to see some pics soon! :thumbs up:

BUMP! would like to see the finish product., looked good so far.

Hi guys..

sorry for the lack of updates!!! bike is nowhere near done dudes.. got into some issues with the shaft drive hub.. apparently, the stock shaft drive hub was not made for a single sided setup.. i had to scrap the entire shaft setup and the swinger has gone to waste..

but the good news is, i have converted it into a chain drive setup which involves jus an adapter. hope it works out fine. i fabricated an entirely new swinger for the chain setup and hopefully it will work ok. still have not gotten to the fabrication of the wheel hub.. but soon i will. swinger is done at the momoent.. jus need to alter the shock height through the relocation of the shock mount. i'll try to get more substantial pics for some posts.

thanks for the support and interest guys!!

sucks about the single sider nows, i was looking to go down the same route!!

cant wait to see whatcha do next!!

ok welded up the hub and the centre gusset ... shes ready for a mock up soon

as i mentioned, here is a small update with pics on my current swingarm design... will show u guys the chain adapter as well.

picture.php

picture.php

heres a shot of my shock mount
picture.php

TA DA!
picture.php

picture.php

will be adding another bar here to further beef up this section of the arm...
picture.php

i have decided to convert the bike into a chain drive in view of the cost and effort needed to build a new shaft drive housing.
I figured the housing to be machined is gonna cost me alot and finding suitable pinion / ring gears (gearing ratio) is gonna be alot of hassle.. the weight is also gonna be substantially more and every little detail right down to the meshing of the ring gears need to be taken care of properly for the set up to work....for the same amount of time and resources, i could get a working chain drive set up with new swinger and new wheel... so i will be taking that route..

ok to the mains now... i figured a way to make the chain conversion without machining the engine cases. since i will be using a wider tire/ wheel.. i basically replaced the pinion /ring gear componenets inside the engine with a sprocket adapter.

and i split the engine cases to get to the inards.. here is a mock up of the machined adaper inplace.

will be making a cover plate and a front sprocket cover to finish off the engine portion.

That's exactly like on style of our conversion parts. We have another style that is very durable too.

Sean

Attachments

• Chain Conversion Parts 1.jpg
    Chain Conversion Parts 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Chain Conversion Parts 2.jpg
    Chain Conversion Parts 2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 77
  • New Chain Drive Conversion.jpg
    New Chain Drive Conversion.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 81
x-iled, what material exactly was the adapter made from? There's a reason for asking and I'll explain why when you do.

x-iled, what material exactly was the adapter made from? There's a reason for asking and I'll explain why when you do.

i believe its some high strength carbon steel which i sent for hardening when it was completed.. i dont remember the exact specification of the steel though as i only told my machinist whats the purpose of the adapter for and he sourced for a suitable material for me. sorry.

That's exactly like on style of our conversion parts. We have another style that is very durable too.

Sean

hey!.. hahaha.. can i say great minds think alike? hahahahha... i havent gotten to the engine covers yet.. trying to design something which can allow a clear casing section...but the enigne/ gasket plate is somewhat similar to what i haev in mind though.. hahah

i believe its some high strength carbon steel which i sent for hardening when it was completed.. i dont remember the exact specification of the steel though as i only told my machinist whats the purpose of the adapter for and he sourced for a suitable material for me. sorry.
Propably 40H > 1.7225 or 18H2N2 > 1.5920.

so sorry about the lack of updates... but this is what i have in the pics ... going to add a brace to the swingarm... and its already so fuckin heavy!!! :( with the axles in... the last time i weighed in.. it was a frickin 30 kg!!!... shiat... but.. at least.. this thing seems like it could survive an atomic bomb... lol.. oh well... if i were modifying for performance.. a single sided swingarm wouldnt have been considered... so nuff talk.. here are some pics.. brace not welded yet.. this is jus a good 80% of wat the final product looks like.. still gotta remove material wherever possible.

heres a close up of the brake caliper bracket, the sprocket holder and u can also see how thick my axle is
P1000694.jpg

So far looking good and strong looking. But, performance only goes so far if you add a ton of weight which slows the bike down too.

Sean

So far looking good and strong looking. But, performance only goes so far if you add a ton of weight which slows the bike down too.

Sean

I agree.. which is why its a bummer when i found the weight to get this heavy as i progressed....maybe its the constant nagging feeling of "failure prevention" thats why i might have chose to err on the heavier side.. lol..

i;m trying to salvage and shave off watever weight i can for this swingarm.. milling out materials to thin out certain areas or even drill out a portion of the wheel bearing carrier.. thats the heaviest area on the swingarm actually...

Very nice. Building a streetfighter is too much fun. That was my first taste of motorcycles back in the day. I encourage anybody to pick up a wrecked bike some time and have a go at it. I like what you have done.

Latest posts

Back