Zl 900

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that in the article, "Taking It to the Nine's," the ZL900 was what was considered to have the most-potential, until it experienced an engine failure. Pretty-sure they turboed that one.

Those always appealed to me because they used the newer-tech (read, "water-cooled") engines as-opposed to the air-cooled GS/KZ/CB engines before the modern era of performance inline and v-4 Japanese. The Eliminator looked like it belonged behind the Christmas trees at a strip. Plus, these bikes were hot stuff when you were younger, and maybe couldn't afford one, and now, you can get one in running-shape, plus a parts-bike, and for about the price of a short vacation? Do it. Assuming you have the space, and it isn't going to cause a marital meltdown. Is it me, or do those types of decisions become more-palatable when you show your significant-other a home project or other benefit of similar $-outlay? :rofl_200:
http://www.vmaxchat.co.uk/MaxInPrint/CycleWorldMarch87/2theNines_02.jpg

Two things G. 1st , happy wife happy life................2nd, its easier to get forgiveness then it is to get permission I hope this helps and good luck with the bike!

Yeah, Mr.Turbo built a kit for the ZL900 to compete against the Kosman Vmax for that article.

It wasn't specific but after a few passes getting the turbo dialed in they blew the motor up before getting an "official" run.

Cool bike to be sure.

I bought an 85 off the showroom floor. Always loved it. never had an issue. very fast and I got the same respect the vmax gets with any of the other biker crowds. Get it.:punk:

Buy it! They are great bikes, smooth, fast, reliable, and the looks to match the performance! I've got two right now, including this beauty!

ZL900_Waynesburg4.jpg

Man that is sharp.

I would give a pint of blood for a (now) middle weight 80's style cruiser to come out this decade.

I seriously pine for a cruiser that's fuel injected, sub or equal 1200cc, and hauls serious ass. The only thing I'm aware of that's even close is the Guzzi Griso as far as I know.

I had one and loved it. Bad ass looking bike. I would like to get another one some day. The only problem I've ever heard from them,is 3rd gear. Mine was fine. It also got a lot of looks driving by. That's my 2nd favorite cruiser style bike ;)

Buy it! They are great bikes, smooth, fast, reliable, and the looks to match the performance! I've got two right now, including this beauty!

ZL900_Waynesburg4.jpg
i NICE BIKE " SS " ! .. BEAUTIFUL AREA YOU LIVE IN , THAT CURVE JUST OVER YOUR RIGHT SHOULDER , I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE KILLED MYSELF ON , 30+ YEARS AGO , OR JUST GOTTEN SUPER-MANNED INTO YOUR BACKYARD ! .. :rofl_200:. :rofl_200: .:rofl_200:

ok just wondering, nothing against you personally, From my experience those guys are a bunch of cry baby jack asses. Not very welcoming and self centered DICKS. A totally different feel than over here. I am not too sure about posting much more over there than I already have. A huge dissapointment for a forum that actually has less bikes in existance than this forum. I was just very displeased about the responce or the welcoming that was recieved. I will more than likely keep my head down and try to get some info from the forum from write ups than actually do any asking.

Sorry Texas.... you are still concidered a friend G

You're mostly right, not been the same since the original site builder died. RIP Mark.

Last edited:
That is nice to know, perhaps they should vote them off the island:ummm:

You can't talk about ANYTHING anymore, you get warned for using the "reply with quote" buttons. Like I said, now run by somebody who thinks it's his own personal website, and he's not going to let grown men be men. I haven't posted there in months.

Last edited:
I'm sure we could round up a few Mi Hooligans and run down for a shootout, maybe make it an overnighter and meet/hang out with everyone, it would be fun!...............Tom.

ZL900_Waynesburg4.jpg
That is one sweet machine Tex. I guess the KZ is the Grandaddy to the ZL? I hope my project comes out half that nice. There are a coupl of screeming KZ's here in Massachusetts. I'm not sure how streetable the super moded kZ's are? I'm partial to water cooled.
Steve-o

allways loved the Eliminator bikes......i came close to buying one last year.

nice one texas:punk:! the zrx1100 forum is a cool bunch and the v65
the xj forum is great too. but none compare to the vmax :punk:

Hey texas tornado great looking zl! Looks just like mine. Its parked right next to my vmax, for the most part those kids get along lol! When I was a teen in the eighties these two bikes were a wet dream and through chance an circumstance I made it happen. I've been on the zl forum and for the most part those dudes are pretty cool. Like it was stated above every car an bike forum I've been on has a few jack assess that just muddy up the water a little. But I gotta say I love the vibe on this forum. Good bunch of fellas. I've purchased quite a few things and never had a problem with my purchases. Bought my carrozzerias from shawn and I gotta say thanks to him for jumping through the hoops on that one. Back on track though texas, that is one heck of a stable of zl's you have!

Latest posts

Back