Vmax Cops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't want to light the fire but i strongly believe that gap depends on whether you are running resistors or not as the current will be different to leap the gap. I would assume the gap should be bigger if you have a higher current on the secondary. My 2 cents

i

Last edited:
I have had mine on the Dyno today testing various plug gaps and a few different coils. I was not looking for horsepower just differences under load and drive ability.
On mine there was no difference from stock coils (which were cracked very bad especially the front two) to any of the cops and no difference with the plugs gapped at 0.28,0.32 or 0.35. Peak HP was within 1 or 2 on just about every run. The only difference that I can tell is that it seems a little crisper on the low end and cruising at 2500-3000 rpm. I suspect you are correct about the resistors being relative to spark gap. Ill get the Dyno sheets from the shop early this week if anyone is interested please PM me and ill be happy to share.
Asher C.

I will send a pm my friend, and thanks for the info. Your info backs up what I had gotten earlier. No hp gain from the COPS, although now you have increased reliability, and if you need to, you can order a new COP at you local parts store. You cant do that with Vmax coils....etc.

I really like how much simpler it makes things especially if you need to change one. I can tell you the two front ones are not much fun. Do you know what the long term reliability to this mod is?

Nope. I guess that it would come down to if the COPS are new or used. New ones on a new bike, you dont really ever hear of them going out. If they are used, then you dont really know.

Nope. I guess that it would come down to if the COPS are new or used. New ones on a new bike, you dont really ever hear of them going out. If they are used, then you dont really know.
Unless you test them- How many used ones can you show us that have gone out? Why the upgrade?

I really like how much simpler it makes things especially if you need to change one. I can tell you the two front ones are not much fun. Do you know what the long term reliability to this mod is?
That's really the only reason I did this mod.
one of my front coils was only working intermittently and I figured the others couldn't be far from failing too since they are all the same age.
Now if one fails I can swap it out with the spare I keep in my fork bag.

I've had them on my 2000 for 4 years now without any issues/failures.

Well I started thinking about my response so I wanted to clarify it a bit better. Everything has a life expectancy. Light bulbs, food, engines...etc. Everything. So with the COPS (and this is a made up number) Lets say on average a set of COPS is good for 75000 miles, and you buy them brand new....so you have a life expectancy of 75000 miles. If you buy a set of used ones, and the previous owner put 10000 miles on them, then you have 65000 miles left. If you previous owner put 70000 miles on them, then you have 5000 miles left.

Quite a few people I know of, will carry a spare (hey they are small)....just in case. My favorite example of electronics is a light bulb. They might test well, and might work for the next 2 weeks....one day, you turn on the light switch, and it goes bad.

This is purely speculation...but I have wondered if the V-boost opening late, is due to the COP being wired "backward"? On the 2 wire COPS you have a 12 volt ignition wire, and then a pulsed ground. So at 6000 rpm, each wire should pulse 1500 times a minute. (4 cylinders/ 6000 rpm).

On a car with a single coil, they would still run if you wired them up backward, but you wouldnt get the spark energy, and points would burn out quickly.

So....if the COP was wired up backward, and the Vboost couldnt "see" the pulses (rpms) for that cylinder....by the time that the Vboost could see the pules due to additional RPM that would put you at 7000-7500 (which is where some people will say that their Vboost comes in at after COPS were installed).

Again, purely speculation.

I followed up with Gannon last night just to double check because he knows more about COPS than just about anyone on this forum. He said that yes there is a positive and a negative side of the cops. As you look them from the coil side, he was pretty certain that the left side was the positive side of the COP.

I followed up with Gannon last night just to double check because he knows more about COPS than just about anyone on this forum. He said that yes there is a positive and a negative side of the cops. As you look them from the coil side, he was pretty certain that the left side was the positive side of the COP.

+1 usually the (+) side is the orange wire (or orange with white stripe)

There's a little more COP info in this thread: http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5766&highlight=birdoprey's

I have made mine all the same way.

+1 usually the (+) side is the orange wire (or orange with white stripe)

There's a little more COP info in this thread: http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5766&highlight=birdoprey's

Thanks for the info Danny. Some people have said in the past that it doesnt matter which side of the COPS go to which wire, others have said that it does. I'm one of those people that it does matter to. To me, if it doesn't matter, then why is there a positive, and a negative side of the coil? I also believe that there maybe be several ways that something works ok, but there is still the best solution.

I have always been a huge fan of Occums razor. All other things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the best.

Thanks for the info Danny. Some people have said in the past that it doesnt matter which side of the COPS go to which wire, others have said that it does. I'm one of those people that it does matter to. To me, if it doesn't matter, then why is there a positive, and a negative side of the coil? I also believe that there maybe be several ways that something works ok, but there is still the best solution.

I have always been a huge fan of Occums razor. All other things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the best.

I need to correct that....+ is the RED w/white striped wire. The - side is different with each coil (white, orange, etc.)

I think the coil stick will function wired up either way but personally I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing even one coil was wired backwards!

On most every connector used from a previous set of coils the RED wire with the Black stripe connects to the right side of the coil. The left side can be a number of colors-orange, orange w/green stripe, orange w/silver double dotted stripe, green, green w/red stripe.
Same as you danny, I read where it doesn't matter which side but I have wired all my the same way.

Attachments

• CIMG1178.jpg
    CIMG1178.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back