Handgrip Removal Problem!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackjack

Reaction score
Need some advice; I have a 07 V-max I purchased used in May, the previous owner put drag bars on the bike and then replaced the original hand grips. I would like to put on bar end mirrors and stay with the present grips at this point.

The problem is the stock hand grips have a solid plastic end cap that needs to be removed so I can install the mirrors. I am having a large amount of difficulty trying to remove these end caps without damaging them. I understand they are only pressed on; however, believe me every other part of the grip appear to what to move, but the end cap area does not want to move…

If anyone can provide a trick to remove them without messing up the end caps I am all ears.

Appreciate any solutions that may help!

:bang head:

Last edited:
blow compressed air into the inside of the grip then the grip will pull off pretty easy, then look in side i believe there is a small screw that holds the end cap on.

Have you got the grips off already?

Those end caps will go to the trash once your bar end mirrors are on, so I would not worry about screwing them up. Also, you can buy bar ends in all shapes and sizes, from alu to carbon fibre via color coded ones for about $10-15, I fitted carbon-look ones on my bike and not only they look great, they helped reducing engine vibes in the bars :)

Attachments

• P1080507.JPG
    P1080507.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 46
Grab the end cap tight, twist as you pull out hard. Use leather gloves, it helps. No screws, just pressed in.

I wrapped mine 10 times around with black tape & then used channel locks / big pliers to twist them while pulling outward ! .. No damage was done this way .

Thanks!

Some great ideals and suggestions, will give it a try. Need to figure out which mirrors to purchase now. :hmmm:

Last edited:
I wrapped mine 10 times around with black tape & then used channel locks / big pliers to twist them while pulling outward ! .. No damage was done this way .

Yes!

Used some 4" duct tape, tore in half and wrapped end of grip about 1/8" thick. Applied channel locks and moved back and forth and pulled outwards until end cap came off.

Thanks a lot for the advise, my bar end mirrors are in the mail.:punk:

Attachments

• teardrops.JPG
    teardrops.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 82
  • barmirror2.JPG
    barmirror2.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 86
  • barmirror1.JPG
    barmirror1.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 78
Well folks got the new mirrors on, what do you think of old vs the new look?

I bought the mirrors on eBay, gave the seller 5 stars because everything went as advertised. I highly recommend the convex style; I can even see a portion of my back rest :ummm: when viewing behind with no vibration at idle or higher speeds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bar-...310241473975?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories

Looks good man! You forgot to list your tail light on your mod list :)

Nice mirrors, nice paint scheme.

But honestly, that backrest has to go........send it to me and I'll....ah hemmm......"dispose of it" for you.

I bought an 06 Vmax about a week ago and the bar end on my right side has a gap about 1/8 of an inch between it and my grip. I know the grip has to be able to twist for throttle, but it just looks like too wide of a gap. I have tried hitting the end with my palm and it didn't move. I don't want to damage it but would like to snug it in a little. Anybody know what I should do??

I bought an 06 Vmax about a week ago and the bar end on my right side has a gap about 1/8 of an inch between it and my grip. I know the grip has to be able to twist for throttle, but it just looks like too wide of a gap. I have tried hitting the end with my palm and it didn't move. I don't want to damage it but would like to snug it in a little. Anybody know what I should do??

I have a small space about 3/32 as well. Not that noticeable for me to worry about. Maybe a rubber spacer could be adapted to fill in this small gap if this annoys you. (Like a black water hose gasket ) :confused2:

i have a cut up grip that could have pieces cut from it to fit. PM me if interested but it'll be a couple weeks as i'm on vacation.

If the bar end is bottomed out and wont go in anymore you could try to slide the whole throttle assembly closer to the bar end. There are two phillips head screws on the underside of the throttle assembly. Loosen those and see if you can slide it over a bit. Check to make sure the throttle does not bind and turn the bars full lock both ways before you say its good.

Problem is that usually the throttle tube is longer than the grip on these bikes and the throttle tube may contact the inside of the bar end before you can close the gap. If that is the case you can remove the bar end, cut a little off the throttle tube and then reassemble and slide the throttle back over to close the gap.

I had to do this when I got my bar end mirrors. It was either get longer grips, piece something together to cover the throttle tube or cut the tube. I just cut the tube flush with the grip and haven't had any issues.

Back