Ignition box

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgediesel59

Reaction score
Hey guys i need to find a factory ignition box for a 85 max. What years are interchangable with that bike? Is it just 85-90 or will up to 06 work? If anybody has a ignition box for reasonable i will gladly buy it.

I think Furbur rebuilds them. Not sure about price or anything. Sean might have a used one. They aren't cheap from Yamy that's for sure. I wish Dyna would make um again. I talked to them and they don't think they'll sell enough to mske it wort it.
Steve-o

Yea they are pricey used from what i saw on ebay. I have a dyna but it is screwed up actually. I took it out of my bike running great and swapped with my buddy while we had them both apart because i was gonna run cops and dynas cant handle it i guess. My buddys bike has ran terrible ever since we got the motor back in. It cuts out terribly on the right front cylinder and backfires and sputters until 3K and then runs wild.

Yea they are pricey used from what i saw on ebay. I have a dyna but it is screwed up actually. I took it out of my bike running great and swapped with my buddy while we had them both apart because i was gonna run cops and dynas cant handle it i guess. My buddys bike has ran terrible ever since we got the motor back in. It cuts out terribly on the right front cylinder and backfires and sputters until 3K and then runs wild.

Actually they can but, they require resistors in series.

I'd be interested in that messed up Dyna.Let me know
Steve-o

What is the difference between the newer boxes anyways? I can find tons of the newer ones but the 89 or older is tough :(

Well i guess there is no interchange there then. Any ideas where I might find one? I found a used one for 300 but that seems very high to me. Just out of curiosity will a tci out of a venture work?

Sure seems like Sean or Kyle would have one of these... I have one but it's Digital...

You can get a refurbished one from Furbur. I know a guy in FL that used to repair them.

A Venture TCI can be used on the 85-89 VMax.

It must be from a 1984 - 1989 Venture.

The 1983 Venture used a vacuum pickup port above the throttle plates and will not work right with a vacuum source from the intake boot.

The 1990 - 1993 Ventures went to a single pick up coil, like the VMax did, it won't work for you.

The Venture probably is going to be timed different internally to the TCI, but it will work. May be down a little on power, but I am guessing on this.

The Ignitech unit is a much better option. I have used one for a year now and ain't giving it up.

Totally programmable on a connected laptop.

http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

Gary

That ignitech place appears to be closed until august. Kinda in a hurry to find something. How do those boxes fit? Do you have to cut and splice wires? Anyone confirm the venture boxes on power and timing?

I was referred to that site by another forum.
I sent them an email asking suitability, but in response I got "cyl 1&4 and 2&3", which made me think that it wouldn't work.
The fact that it DOES work is very cool!
If you don't mind me asking, what model did you get? I will need NO2 capability (even if it's just a fixed retard amount, it will do), and I have the older model Vmax. Did you have to put in different pick-ups, like Dyna S, or did the standard ones work with their system?

Thanks for the feedback mate.
Dave:clapping:

I also have anolog bike. Was this unit a plug and play, or did you have to splice into the harness? Was the program it came with sufficient, or did it require reprograming or tweaking. Also what are Dyna S pickups?

I have the TCIP4 - 4ch unit from Ignitech

They have a Racer3 unit which has nitrous ability with retard feature.

I might be willing to part with my current TCIP4 unit so I could get the Racer3 version.

This one is a direct plug in for an 85-89 VMax. You just pull the two cables from the old TCI unit and plug them into the adapter cable. I have a GM bar sensor with it. Didn't want to use the stock boost sensor due to it being a 12v output and the Ignitech wants a 5v output.

Mine is like new and works perfect. Just want to get an upgraded nitrous unit. They are around $75 more than the TCIP4, but what the heck, its your mod monkey branching out to my Venture.

Some pictures in thread below.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=17460

The white vacuum canister I added is really not needed, just an anal thing I did to smooth pulsing out between carbs.

Gary

That's very cool mate, thanks for that.
My bike's in bits at the moment, so won't be rushing out this second to buy one until I have a gearbox with gears in it! But the Racing 3 unit has everything I want, and I don't need to drag 4 separate Dyna products out of the shed to do it, all in one which is nice.
I sent them another email with a link to your page of data, hope you don't mind, it's just they said they didn't have info on the early Vmax, but since your's is working, obviously now they do! I hope that's OK, but since the rest of the guys will see how good it all looks, I don't reckon that Ignitech will mind........you might even get a spotter's fee when you do ypur upgrade!

Now I don't have to find room somewhere for 2 x Dyna2000's, Schnitz variable NO2 controller, 4 Dyna S pick-ups, A DRL400 rev-limiter, and my MPS ignition kill. This one box will do all that and more......:eusa_dance:

I have a GM bar sensor with it. Didn't want to use the stock boost sensor due to it being a 12v output and the Ignitech wants a 5v output.

Gary

Hey Gary,

Is the GM bar sensor using a 12 volt input and a 5 volt output?, or are you providing it with a 5 volt supply somehow?

I ask because my DJ widband commander has a lot of features, (Boost/Vac/Oil Press/Throttle Pos/) I can't use since it wants 5 Volt reference outputs for sensing, and the Vmax does not have a 5 volt supply to feed 5 volt ref sensors.

I haven't had any luck finding ANY sensor of any type that uses a 12volt ref input and has a 5volt output.

If you found a way around this I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks, Rusty

Back