10 Dollar Backrest

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richwrench

Reaction score
OK, so the Wife refused to ride without a backrest & I refused to pay big bucks for a factory one. So I bought a genuine HD backpad on Ebay for 10 bucks & built my own frame. I used heavy duty 7/8" steel tubing - heated with a torch & bent to fit the outside of the rear grabrail. Then I used 1/4" steel plate for the pad mount & heated & bent it back from underneath for a small luggage rack. Welded it together & mounted it to the grabrail with 5/16" grade 8 bolts. I drilled & tapped the grabrail so if I ever want to remove it I just unbolt it & install 4 short bolts to fill the holes. I painted it silver - may change it to black or powdercoat it in the future. I think it looks pretty descent & it's super-strong, but the best thing is , it's Wifey-approved - now she'll ride. :biglaugh:

Attachments

• backrest 001 (Medium).jpg
    backrest 001 (Medium).jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 232
  • backrest 002 (Medium).jpg
    backrest 002 (Medium).jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 287
  • backrest 003 (Medium).jpg
    backrest 003 (Medium).jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 216
  • backrest 004 (Medium).jpg
    backrest 004 (Medium).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 280
  • backrest 005 (Medium).jpg
    backrest 005 (Medium).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 239
Nice one Rich, well done! I especially like the hand-bag shelf - now that's cute and sure helped in the approval process. :eusa_dance::biglaugh:

NICE JOB :punk:, & MAKING THE WIFE HAPPY TO BOOT ! ONE QUESTION , HOW ARE YOU GOING TO HOLD ALL OF YOUR BEER ON THAT LITTLE SHELF ? "LOL" :rofl_200:

Excellent job Rich!!

Wanna see it up close n' personal real soon, so that I might 'steal' the design for one of my own.... I'd like to have the 'pad' just an inch or so lower, and the tubing 'squared off' at the top.... and no need for the 'shelf'.

It's an even simpler setup than the one I had in mind to build.... So good to see someone actually fabricating like this, instead of caving to the way out of line prices of the 'store bought' ones... the OEMS are just f'n ridiculous, and yours even looks way better.... Well done Bro'!!

U P

NICE JOB :punk:, & MAKING THE WIFE HAPPY TO BOOT ! ONE QUESTION , HOW ARE YOU GOING TO HOLD ALL OF YOUR BEER ON THAT LITTLE SHELF ? "LOL" :rofl_200:

just like this... :biglaugh:

Acually, I made the small shelf just as a mounting point. Now I can find a nice chrome luggage rack & drill & bolt it to the shelf. 1/4" steel is strong as hell, but not much to look at - didn't think a big plate of it would look right.

Attachments

• beerrest 002 (Medium).jpg
    beerrest 002 (Medium).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 90

Acually, I made the small shelf just as a mounting point. Now I can find a nice chrome luggage rack & drill & bolt it to the shelf. 1/4" steel is strong as hell, but not much to look at - didn't think a big plate of it would look right.
I'M CRACKING UP ! "LOL""LOL""LOL" THATS FUCKING GREAT ! :rofl_200:

Nah....no chance THAT will draw any attention from the gendarmes!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

good way to help the wheelies too. You should try Guiness, it's heavier :rofl_200::clapping:
Nice job on the backrest Rich! :thumbs up:
Mmm....Guinness, any beer that can have a shamrock made with the head and stays there through half a glass has to be good! :icon_jook::icon_jook:2 pork chops in every pint!:punk:

Thats a really sweet lookin` back rest, how much would you charge to make me one of those ??
I live in a mobile home and have no garage or welder.:bang head: My wife feels the same as yours did.
<<Dave>>

Rich, I think you need to start your own lil' parts factory. You can undercut every manufacturer out there and even have fun in the process! :biglaugh::biglaugh:
If you want a business partner I'm - all I want is to get my hands on a welder again! :clapping:

Function over Beauty! That's the name right there..

You can sell 'fake NOS kits' too hahaha@@

Not to get off topic here but Damn Rich you are wearing the sides of that Shinko pretty high there Bud.. Go Go Speed Racer !!

Back