• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

10second Vmax for $3800

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just info he got from a magazine article, so take it with a grain of salt.
The price ($3,800) really isn't bad for a 2000 in Canada though.

The prices of the 1st gen Vmax are certainly down this year. Lots for $3 grand or less. ALL bikes here are crazy cheap lately. I just went and seen a 1986 Gold wing Trike in fantastic shape for $3500. I am tempted to pick it up "just because'.
Now here is my pet peave.......why are used Vmax parts so dam expensive ?? I could buy a Vmax at todays low prices....part it out....and make twice as much or better. Max stuff is WAY to high !
Here is one for $2600 or best offer....$2000 ??http://www.kijiji.ca/v-moto-sport-promenade/gatineau/vmax/1161816334?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'm going to guess because nobody wants to deal with carbs anymore, and very likely wouldn't know how, its an 85 design and tech has moved forward by heaps and bounds since the first iteration of the Vmax. Some of the newer buyers probably missed out on the bit of history of the Vmax and dont even know what that is. Those of us that were doing this in the 80s probably understand it's iconic value. We remember that it was the fastest production bike for quite a number of years and how no matter what you rode, you didnt test it out against a Vmax. Not only that but they were sort of a rare sight even back then, at least here.

Also possibly potential buyers ride one and decide that it just fails too live up to the hype, when mine was out of tune it was considerably less impressive than it is right now, so if someone rides the wrong max at the wrong time they could just decide it's only fast by yesterdays standards or when compared to a 45 deg twin. I think quite simply it's a niche bike with a narrow pool of potential buyers. That and the fact that it's no longer gets press as the fastest thing on two wheels. It's one of those things that just needs the right buyer. It's definitely an undervalued gem. But it continues to be a heavy hitter in the power cruiser segment and will probably never loose it's iconic stature among seasoned riders.

Is a tough market as I haven't been able to move my bikes at all in over a year...I'm even will and able to fly it about 1000 miles for someone and still no takers...can't give them away almost.

very well said casey. It all makes perfect sense. I've put on 2200 kms in the last 2 months and haven't even seen a Max new or old. And yes, the carbs can really detour a person. Can you imagine this bike with "fuel injection"....problem free tuning. Oh well....I'm old school and I love my max and ALL that comes with it.

I'm going to guess because nobody wants to deal with carbs anymore, and very likely wouldn't know how, its an 85 design and tech has moved forward by heaps and bounds since the first iteration of the Vmax. Some of the newer buyers probably missed out on the bit of history of the Vmax and dont even know what that is. Those of us that were doing this in the 80s probably understand it's iconic value. We remember that it was the fastest production bike for quite a number of years and how no matter what you rode, you didnt test it out against a Vmax. Not only that but they were sort of a rare sight even back then, at least here.

Also possibly potential buyers ride one and decide that it just fails too live up to the hype, when mine was out of tune it was considerably less impressive than it is right now, so if someone rides the wrong max at the wrong time they could just decide it's only fast by yesterdays standards or when compared to a 45 deg twin. I think quite simply it's a niche bike with a narrow pool of potential buyers. That and the fact that it's no longer gets press as the fastest thing on two wheels. It's one of those things that just needs the right buyer. It's definitely an undervalued gem. But it continues to be a heavy hitter in the power cruiser segment and will probably never loose it's iconic stature among seasoned riders.
Caseyjones, I can only agree with you for 1 year-1985. Sorry man I still own 3 1986-87 GSXR 1100's.

I had read that for a stretch of several years they were the fastest production bikes, they sure had that reputation anyway, but I'll sure take your word for it. I dont place to much credibility in some of the bike publications anyway. I was more speculating on why the values are so low, how people may perceive them. I didn't know the gixxer 1100s were such a gem to. I borrowed an old FJ1200 and that was a spooky fast bike but I have never ridden a GSXR.

Sportbikes have gotten so insane, and even some of the newest power cruisers are pure madness. The early Vmax IMHO just wont appeal to the same buyers it once did. I can say that it's fast enough for me and I love the hell out of it. I also like that they are not so common.

In 1986 both motorcyclist magazine and cycleworld featured the vmax, the gsxr and the kawasaki eliminator. it was called "to the 9's " or something like that. The gsxr was faster with a 10:28 1/4 mile and the vmax was 10:47. Of course the Vmax was heavier over 600lbs and the gsxr weighed in at 430 but the gixxer only had a 1052cc compared to the 1199. I built a few gsxr 750's and what a nimble 388 lb bulletproof rocket. The blue 1987 in my photos went 202mph.

I was unaware that those things were so badass so early on. I had a CB350 and an iron head about that time and didnt cave in fully until around 90 when the whole HD culture started to become so watered down and mainstream. An afternoon with a ZX11D in the 90s pulled me over the fence for good. The Vmax is the one that kept me thinking for a lot of years, there was never a bike that pined for more.

I was unaware that those things were so badass so early on. I had a CB350 and an iron head about that time and didnt cave in fully until around 90 when the whole HD culture started to become so watered down and mainstream. An afternoon with a ZX11D in the 90s pulled me over the fence for good. The Vmax is the one that kept me thinking for a lot of years, there was never a bike that pined for more.
I guess we are going to hijack but this thread isn't going anywhere anyway--
First bike was 1971 CB175 also had the 1974 CB 350 and 1971 CB750four. I guess I'm really a Suzuki man as I have built more of those than anything. I have had a few Vmax's but they just don't their value as well- worth more apart. I've been offered 10 grand a piece for the 3 gixxers and i won't budge.

I'm not sure I could pick a Japanese make as a favorite. If I had to choose one brand to live with for the rest of my life I would be torn between Triumph and BMW. It's just hard to find fault with any of the Japanese manufacturers. They all have so many great choices.

If I were to drop some coin on a powercruiser, right now today, it would be a Rocket III with a head/piston/cam package or a big nasty turbo. There is something special about a classic bike though, especially if it gets the job done. If I overthink this I'll have 5 bikes before I know what hit me. Right now the Vmax is my only bike with plans to add a 1300 Venture over the winter. I'm afraid I dont have enough restraint for any more stomp than the Vmax has. I see jail and revocation in my future. Besides anything I buy I'll probably have to leave here in the states in a few years.

That's one's, Thanks Dennis.Now the biggest difference I saw when i read all these back in '85-'86 was the gsxr had the smallest stock carbs. So I bought the largest aftermarket carbs that would fit-41mm keihins,40mm mikuni and 40mm megatrons.
That left no room for competition.

I'm not sure I could pick a Japanese make as a favorite. If I had to choose one brand to live with for the rest of my life I would be torn between Triumph and BMW. It's just hard to find fault with any of the Japanese manufacturers. They all have so many great choices.

If I were to drop some coin on a powercruiser, right now today, it would be a Rocket III with a head/piston/cam package or a big nasty turbo. There is something special about a classic bike though, especially if it gets the job done. If I overthink this I'll have 5 bikes before I know what hit me. Right now the Vmax is my only bike with plans to add a 1300 Venture over the winter. I'm afraid I dont have enough restraint for any more stomp than the Vmax has. I see jail and revocation in my future. Besides anything I buy I'll probably have to leave here in the states in a few years.

Nice Venture with 22K on the clock for $ 6,500 from John Furbur.

Attachments

• Yamaha '06 Royal Star Venture John Furbur.jpg
    Yamaha '06 Royal Star Venture John Furbur.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 15

Check out this illustration near the bottom of the article in the second link from the top (Cycle World September 1996). Tell me it doesn't look like the second Gen Vmax?

akv8k6.jpg

Check out this illustration near the bottom of the article in the second link from the top (Cycle World September 1996). Tell me it doesn't look like the second Gen Vmax?

akv8k6.jpg

Well, ...........it does say Yamaha on the side. That's definitely on the Gen II. I don't see much else that resembles my 09 when I look at that illustration. :ummm:
Maybe if I back way, way off........and squint a lot......

Ducati meets Speed Triple imo.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

In 1986 both motorcyclist magazine and cycleworld featured the vmax, the gsxr and the kawasaki eliminator. it was called "to the 9's " or something like that. The gsxr was faster with a 10:28 1/4 mile and the vmax was 10:47. Of course the Vmax was heavier over 600lbs and the gsxr weighed in at 430 but the gixxer only had a 1052cc compared to the 1199. I built a few gsxr 750's and what a nimble 388 lb bulletproof rocket. The blue 1987 in my photos went 202mph.

very true indeed.
and as stated, these days lots of things go faster (and steer better) than a Gen 1- ..However, no inline four will ever sound as cool/badass as a Gen 1.

Yea, I had heard bout maxes before, but it wasn't until I heard one fire up in front of me (with a kerker pipe on it.) HO-LY- Crap. I had goosebumps, and that started my obsession. That awesome "V4 Roar"... and after 15 or so years, I finally got one.
(still need the kerker on it though.) ;)

That's my story and Im stickin to it.

ymmv

Latest posts

Back