• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1200 suzuki madura

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only seen 1 about 12 years ago. more info on the bike.

How many Maduras were made, and for how many years were they produced?
Thanks to Peter Seifert of Vernon, B.C., Canada, we now know that in 1984, Suzuki produced 3438 units and in 1985 there were 1661 for a total of 5099 total production, which includes both the V700 and V1200 models. Maduras were manufactured in 1984 and 1985 for the 1985 and 1986 year models, respectively. Two sizes of the machines were made, but it is unknown how many of each were produced. I believe the V700 model was only manufactured for the 1985 model year, while the V1200's were manufactured for both the 1985 and 1986 model years.

How many different Madura models were manufactured?
Two engine displacements, the V700 (698cc) and V1200 (1168cc), each included three different model numbers, depicted by the suffix letters after the model number:, GLF, GLF2 and GLG. Maduras originally came in only three factory-standard colors: Black, Maroon and Charcoal. Candian editions included the charcoal bikes, and foreign editions had gold spoked V700's and V1200's (see them in this foreign brochure)! The California models have emmissions control canisters on the left side of the frame for catching fumes from the gas tank, and they have a 3.2 gallon tank, versus a 3.4 gallon tank for all the rest of them. V700's have the distinctive chrome rear fender and seat rails that go all the way from the top of the rear seat to the bottom of the frame, while V1200's have painted rear fenders which matched the tank and side covers.

What are the 1/4 mile and HP specs for my Madura?
V1200 - Per CYCLE MAGAZINE from Jan. 1986: The V1200 BHP is 89.36 max @ 8500 rpm and the torque is 61.41 max. @ 6000 rpm. In a standing start 1/4 mile, it finishes in 11.75 sec @ 115.06 mph. It was tested at the time against three other cruisers and came in 3rd place in the 1/4 mile (can you believe that garbage???!!). The test included the Yamaha Vmax ([email protected]), Kawasaki Eliminator 900 ([email protected]), Suzuki Madura ([email protected]), and Honda Magna ([email protected]).
V700 - Per CYCLE WORLD MAGAZINE from Sept. 1984: The Madura V700 has an extremely high redline at 10,750rpm. Its quarter mile times of 12.89 seconds at 102.96mph indicate that the 698cc Madura is not quite as fast as most 750's (which I personally believe is a bunch of bull, because I witnessed a Madura V700 beat a Yamaha Seca turbo in a 1/4 mile race, which is what prompted me to buy a Madura in the first place. And ANY OWNER of a Madura will tell you that even the V700 can knock the socks off any other cruiser around! Webmaster).
The back of this Suzuki Brochure has some additional specs on the V1200 (181k).
Here's a V1200 Dyno which had a peak HP rating of 112-115hp!! Courtesy of Craig Englehart (aka CECDOO)

Other than the fact they are ugly as sin, not a bad bike, but not one I will probably add to my collection. A couple big negatives, the first being parts availability. Because there were so few made, parts are impossible to find! Secondly, because Honda had the patent on the 90 degree V4 engine, Suzuki had to put theirs at 86 degrees, which really threw off the internal engine balance horribly! They tried to mask it with rubber motor mounts, but I have ridden a few over the years, and there was a TERRIBLE handlebar buzz right around 3500 RPM! That would drive me nuts! I have seen these relatively cheap over the years, actually had several chances to get them for less than 500 bucks and passed on them. Just not one of the original 80's muscle bikes that does anything for me. Now, that being said, if I find a LOW mileage example for next to nothing, I might get one, just to say I have the entire 80's lineup of muscle bikes, but I wouldn't ride it much!!!!

Other than the fact they are ugly as sin, not a bad bike, but not one I will probably add to my collection. A couple big negatives, the first being parts availability. Because there were so few made, parts are impossible to find! Secondly, because Honda had the patent on the 90 degree V4 engine, Suzuki had to put theirs at 86 degrees, which really threw off the internal engine balance horribly! They tried to mask it with rubber motor mounts, but I have ridden a few over the years, and there was a TERRIBLE handlebar buzz right around 3500 RPM! That would drive me nuts! I have seen these relatively cheap over the years, actually had several chances to get them for less than 500 bucks and passed on them. Just not one of the original 80's muscle bikes that does anything for me. Now, that being said, if I find a LOW mileage example for next to nothing, I might get one, just to say I have the entire 80's lineup of muscle bikes, but I wouldn't ride it much!!!!

wow good info.

Back