6/20/2011 - National ride to work day ends badly

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest fear is being rear ended. I have Daytime or Nighttime Nightmares about it every time I ride. Glad you're alright.
Ouch,,, Hurts to think of what happened to you and your Scoot...

After seeing the pictures, all I can say is, " look at all those good parts!"

Glad you're alright Sam. Like everone has said, the bike can be fixed or replaced. I hope the wife cools off, and she might, over time.
+1

and remember if she doesnt,its easier to get forgiveness then permission :clapping:

Glad you are just a little banged up , and you should thank yourself or anyone else who taught you the importance proper riding gear. Especially the helmet!!! My son and I both have Vmax's. We have both been down on different bikes but had gear on. He ended up in a barbed-wire fence and had no injuries, the Hurricane 600 did not fair so well. Me, on my Vstar 1100(with my wife),basically had a tip over and all 3 are good.
Like I have been told---- there are 2 types of riders, Those that have been down and , Those that are going down. Sucks either way!
Good luck wth the family and a new bike. I quit riding for many years after a good friend of mine was killed in Austin,Tx. Back stronger than ever and enjoying anytime I get to ride. It's that me-time thing.:punk:

Man that really sucks but......the main thing here is that you walked away. In time, your wife and family will to a degree, get past the accident...hang in there. :punk:

That sucks. I think about that very thing happening every time I stop behind a car in traffic.

FWIW, and I hope you can take this in the spirit is is delivered, I'm sorry your bike was a causality, but don't let your balls be a casualty as well. Be responsible (get enough life insurance to take care of your family if you meet an untimely death), but under no circumstances surrender who you are as a man to make your wife "happy", because you'll ultimately end up with the exact opposite. You will grow to resent her, and what she really wants, no matter she says, is a man she looks up to and respects more than one who tries to placate her at the expense of his soul. If who you are as a man is someone who rides motorcycles, you've got to be that man.

Who I am as a man has nothing to do with riding motorcycles. Its a hobby for me, not a way of life. If I never ride again it wont affect me as much as you think. Am I upset about it? Sure, but not enough to give my wife grief over.

While life insurance is a great idea, life insurance wont raise my kids(when I have them) or comfort my wife after I am gone.

Giving up riding has nothing to do with surrendering. However, It has everything to do with respecting her wishes at least until the heat dies down. Like others have said, with time she may forget the accident. But ignoring her concerns especially with everything surrounding my ownership of the bike would be very selfish. At the end of the day, these things are dangerous any way you slice it and I wont lie, a part of me is weary about getting on again.

To everyone, I sincerely thank you for your positive attitudes and kind words. Be safe out there.

Sam, I'm very glad you're OK, sucks about the bike, but it can be replaced if and when you decide, your life cannot...you got lucky since as you well know it could have been a LOT worse......

And yeah, the bike definitely looks like a total........

Good luck to you man in whatever you decide in regards to riding again....

I think my wife is just the opposite, she encourages me to ride, as long as she knows my insurance is paid up, worries me sometimes and makes me check the bike over real good before I ride it...:ummm:

Sam, sorry to hear about this. I went down last summer and it sucks. I'm about 98% rebuilt now and getting ready to ride very soon. That said, I had the full support of my wife and family with my rebuild. Hang in there, you can rebuild the bike, or part it out and tally your cash to buy another.

Sorry to hear this Sam, hope you get over all the bruises and pain. I guess we need to mount a strobe light on our bikes so cagers will see us....Joe

Sorry to hear this Sam, hope you get over all the bruises and pain. I guess we need to mount a strobe light on our bikes so cagers will see us....Joe

I can hear it now.... "Ocifer, I was drawn towards the pretty flashing light..." :bang head:

Sam, sorry to hear about this. I went down last summer and it sucks. I'm about 98% rebuilt now and getting ready to ride very soon. That said, I had the full support of my wife and family with my rebuild. Hang in there, you can rebuild the bike, or part it out and tally your cash to buy another.

This is something I wonder. If I get a check from her insurance, do I get to keep my bike or do they take it? How much do they pay me for it? I assume at least blue book, but what about aftermarket parts?

This is something I wonder. If I get a check from her insurance, do I get to keep my bike or do they take it? How much do they pay me for it? I assume at least blue book, but what about aftermarket parts?
Most ins will work you a deal if you want to keep the bike. You will probably have to do some arguing about them paying for the aftermarket parts.

After they total if is when you can negotiate a buy back salvage price; you'll end up with a Salvage title in most states.

You WILL have to argue to get paid for aftermarket parts, but in the case of someone elses liabilty paying for it, in the end, they have to "make you whole" with $$ equivalent to the market value of the bike, not the blue book value....If it's your own insurance paying then your usually screwed unless your paying for extra coverage for aftermarket stuff....The above is how it is in Texas, other States may and do vary........If they get shitty with you bring up medical liabilty for physical pain and suffering and true physical damage, it will usually scare them into settling on the bike easier..........

And DO make sure you get checked out by a good doctor...You don't want to find out 5 years from now your fucked up because of this....

Good luck!

After they total if is when you can negotiate a buy back salvage price; you'll end up with a Salvage title in most states.

You WILL have to argue to get paid for aftermarket parts, but in the case of someone elses liabilty paying for it, in the end, they have to "make you whole" with $$ equivalent to the market value of the bike, not the blue book value....If it's your own insurance paying then your usually screwed unless your paying for extra coverage for aftermarket stuff....The above is how it is in Texas, other States may and do vary........If they get shitty with you bring up medical liabilty for physical pain and suffering and true physical damage, it will usually scare them into settling on the bike easier..........

And DO make sure you get checked out by a good doctor...You don't want to find out 5 years from now your fucked up because of this....

Good luck!

Good points. I will keep this in mind when I call them tonight to file the claim.

Do I just ask how much to buy the bike back or do they offer?

I got xrays at the ER to check my elbow and pelvis and all is well. I can go to an orthopedist to check my back but I have no clue how to bill that back to her insurance. I would assume id first have to open a claim to her insurance and then tell the medical office.

Here in Florida once you file the claim with there insurance the doctors visits are all covered & you pay nothing out of your pocket. It might be diffrent there you wil have to check & see.

no one wants to buy their wreck back except gearheads who don't care about the rebuilt title because they are going to fix it & aren't concerned w/the resale value, or someone who is going to part-it-out. You need to make the offer to buy it from them, they will not make you an offer until you raise the question. Then, negotiate if the price seems too-high.

Good points. I will keep this in mind when I call them tonight to file the claim.

Do I just ask how much to buy the bike back or do they offer?

I got xrays at the ER to check my elbow and pelvis and all is well. I can go to an orthopedist to check my back but I have no clue how to bill that back to her insurance. I would assume id first have to open a claim to her insurance and then tell the medical office.

Find & hire a personal injury attorney for 33 1/3 % of the final settlement , not including property damage or medical expenses and do what he says. Period .

Find & hire a personal injury attorney for 33 1/3 % of the final settlement , not including property damage or medical expenses and do what he says. Period .

:ummm:
I don't understand why I need a personal injury attorney though.

I spoke to 3 adjustors today, 2 from my insurance and 1 from theirs and each told me the same thing. That my insurance covers up to their max medical first, then my private health insurance covers the rest. Which I think is fucking crazy but apparently that's normal, and I was told the same thing by a co-worker.

I assume whatever is not covered by my private insurance is then taken up with the insurance of the person that hit me.

I agree that it should be the other persons policy covering my entire ER visit, my property and any subsequent bills. I have no idea why in a no fault state medical is entirely on me until all options are exhausted. Sounds retarded.

Edit:
http://accident-law.freeadvice.com/auto/fault-no-fault-car-accidents.htm

Reading this it makes sense now. If the accident was severe enough to have really fucked me up, I could go after the other persons insurance much easily. But since it wasnt, id never meet the minimums described in the link to qualify for a court case.

Back