'85 Carbs - hurting my head

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoNat

Reaction score
banging my head against the wall...

have the typical issue - can't come off choke without engine stalling, runs like poo, etc

have done the full "shotgun" method approach, almost no difference at all. any suggestions?

changed plugs, checked wires, fuel in bowls... just want to RIDE ;]

sea foam?! what the heck is sea foam? (as it applies here... can't think he means the bubbles in CA ;] )

ya, fine, so i live in a dark and sheltered place... did the search and saw i was obviously ignorant re: this fine product. who knew...

and thanks, Danny ;]

TBH, I don't think the peashooter will help if the shotgun had no effect. Of course, it's still worth a shot as it's real easy!

But I believe you'll need to do what I did to my '86 carbs to really make it run right. Take 'em off, break the rack up into four single bodies, and then...

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5830
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5831
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5832
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5833
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5834
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5835

You can try everything mentioned above. Your low speed circuit in 1 or more carbs is blocked. I sincerely hope it works for you. I fought mine for nearly 2 years after 10% ethinol was introduced here. The only option left after all else fails is to seriously rebuild the carbs or atleast thoroughly clean them. And, Clean or replace everything in the fuel system.

I did the peashooter, Pulled the carbs apart and cleaned them, finally I found a source for Non Ethinol Gas. I started running it with carb cleaner mixed in and it finally started running right about 6 months months ago. I took a ride with some other Max's and had to fill up with Ethinol. The bike ran like crap as soon as it got to the carbs. I drained it out and put Non Ethinol back in and it cleared up within 20 miles....

Ethinol is a super cleaner that will break every bit of crap in the fuel system loose so it can end up in your carbs.

JMHO....Good Luck

hadn't heard of that one... enlighten me ;]

You're welcome CN....sometimes you have to do the shotgun more than once also.

Maybe COPRUNNER or vmaxride06 will read this...or you could PM either one of them....COPRUNNER hand choked '06's carbs during the Brownie Run and it pulled a piece of dirt down into the float chamber and cleared the bad running issue up.

I'm not 100% certain how he did it but said it's an old stock car racers trick. Why not get hold of one of them, they could prolly help you.

You're welcome CN....sometimes you have to do the shotgun more than once also.

Maybe COPRUNNER or vmaxride06 will read this...or you could PM either one of them....COPRUNNER hand choked '06's carbs during the Brownie Run and it pulled a piece of dirt down into the float chamber and cleared the bad running issue up.

I'm not 100% certain how he did it but said it's an old stock car racers trick. Why not get hold of one of them, they could prolly help you.
thanks, Danny... new to the forum thing but will try to get ahold of them. the peashooter didn't work first try either, and have tried the shotgun twice on what i thought was the prob carb and once on the rest. going to have to get a gasket and o-ring set and just tear them down, i guess. it sounds like such crap right now it's hard to believe it once ran like some that i see on youtube... with the choke half on and the bike coughing and sputtering... i wonder if it will ever sound good again ;] i keep threatening to part it out and buy one that's running well, but it's not listening to my threats...

Last edited:
I had all the same thoughts that mine would never run right again and also thought about parting it out. After getting the carbs straightened out all those thoughts went away. You're doing the right thing by rebuilding the carbs. All of your simptoms seem to be the same as I had and I tried everything to get it to run right. Finally it is.

Pilot fuel jet in the jet block is clogged. Requires taking the carbs apart (in pairs anyway) and removal of the bowl to access the jet block. You may be able to reuse the jet block gaskets though we usually replace them.
Sean

Pilot fuel jet in the jet block is clogged. Requires taking the carbs apart (in pairs anyway) and removal of the bowl to access the jet block. You may be able to reuse the jet block gaskets though we usually replace them.
Sean

thanks, Sean. was trying to do everything on a shoestring budget but looks like i'm going to have to do it the hard way ;]

suggestions on inexpensive gasket vendor? some on ebay but they never list all that's in the "kits" and all of the kits seem to be different...

edit - maybe i shouldn't have asked for advice on what to buy... does that bring the monkey thing around to pick my pocket? ;]

Last edited:
suggestions on inexpensive gasket vendor? some on ebay but they never list all that's in the "kits" and all of the kits seem to be different...

Honestly, tearing into the carbs ain't that hard, and costs $0 if you do it yourself.

Do NOT buy any gasket kits off fleaBay, they are all junk. You r best bet to keep it cheap, is to take the carbs apart, and then decide what needs replacing, order it from Sean, wait a little, then receive, fit and ride happily ever after!

When I did my carbs, all I ended up replacing was the fuel bowl gaskets and the o-rings under the jet blocks if I remember right. That plus a couple of cans of carb cleaner cost me less than $100. You do need to have compressed air - I bought a little compressor for just $99 also.

Remember all the instructions to remove the carbs are here in a post by Maleko on how to change your main jets, and then the thread I posted earlier on should get you through all you need to do with the carbs themselves.

Good luck!

any tips on getting the *&^$& float bowl screws out? i think they've self welded and the aluminum phillips heads just want to strip like they're being paid. i was able to utilize pliers on the diaphragm screws and have replaced them with the stainless allen screws but can't find room to get pliers on safely with the float bowl screws... success on 1 of 16 screws with a screwdriver.

I had to use a manual impact driver on mine. just be careful to support the carbs well when using it.

here is a nice one at sears for only 25 bucks

any tips on getting the *&^$& float bowl screws out? i think they've self welded and the aluminum phillips heads just want to strip like they're being paid. i was able to utilize pliers on the diaphragm screws and have replaced them with the stainless allen screws but can't find room to get pliers on safely with the float bowl screws... success on 1 of 16 screws with a screwdriver.

I also used a manual impact to get mine out the first time, then switched over to 5mm x 12mm button head SS screws. If they are really stripped you may be able to get a dremel in there and cut a slot in the heads and use a straight screw driver.

Back