90 VMAX front progressive install questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texas-ss-tornado

Reaction score
OK, broke down and bought some new Progressives for the front of my 1990 VMAX. Just wondering if it's a pretty straight forward install, or if there are any gotchas. First of all, is there a special tool for the hex nut on top of the shocks? If not, what size is that, I know I don't have one that big, looks to be about a 19-20 mm? Also, what about the spacers that come in the kit, are they needed, how do you decide how much to trim them? Finally, how much oil in each shock, and what is the preffered brand/weight? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I don't remember the size but I made a tool for my early model forks. Used an upside down bolt to fit in the head cap and then threaded a nut on the other end for using my ratchet.

I just saw that sticky on top of the this forum about the late model install, this would be for the 93-2007 models, it says in that write up it's a 22mm nut. Anything in those instructions that would not be valid for the pre 93 models? Other than the actually fork diameter being different, and ordering the right springs I mean............

Get the right springs and the 93 up forks you can use a simple socket to remove the upper preload cap. The earlier forks used a large allen (which I want to say I used a 3/4" allen but can't remember right now).

Sean

my max is also a '90

I did race tech springs and emulators a couple of winters ago.

I'm also local to you it looks like. Shoot me a pm if you need to, I'd be glad to help.

OK, broke down and bought some new Progressives for the front of my 1990 VMAX. Just wondering if it's a pretty straight forward install, or if there are any gotchas. First of all, is there a special tool for the hex nut on top of the shocks? If not, what size is that, I know I don't have one that big, looks to be about a 19-20 mm? Also, what about the spacers that come in the kit, are they needed, how do you decide how much to trim them? Finally, how much oil in each shock, and what is the preffered brand/weight? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I have the socket for my 99 fork cap. If yours is not an Allen wrench cap, my socket should work. I'm planning on going over to Johns (v4dfw) on sunday to pick up his me880's. Let me know & i'll be happy to loan the socket. The spacers (pvc tube) are for your preload. I cut mine to the length recomended,but plan on cutting it down more cause my preload is a little stiff, plus it was a bitch to compress the spring enough to get the cap screwed back on. I used 15w Silkolene & like the results. As far as the amount goes, I don't remember how much for my 99. If you have 90 forks on your 90 Max it'll be less than mine because of the smaller forks. 1990 forks call for a 24 mm. damper rod holder. I have one for my 99 but it's 29 mm. Let me know if I can help. I check the forum a couple times a day

An 18 mm allen driver is what i used and an impact allen remember the sn driver on the bolts on the bottom i dont remember the size.

Rhoy

I have the socket for my 99 fork cap. If yours is not an Allen wrench cap, my socket should work. I'm planning on going over to Johns (v4dfw) on sunday to pick up his me880's. Let me know & i'll be happy to loan the socket. The spacers (pvc tube) are for your preload. I cut mine to the length recomended,but plan on cutting it down more cause my preload is a little stiff, plus it was a bitch to compress the spring enough to get the cap screwed back on. I used 15w Silkolene & like the results. As far as the amount goes, I don't remember how much for my 99. If you have 90 forks on your 90 Max it'll be less than mine because of the smaller forks. 1990 forks call for a 24 mm. damper rod holder. I have one for my 99 but it's 29 mm. Let me know if I can help. I check the forum a couple times a day

Sorry, didn't see this until today, it will probably be a few weekends before I can get this done, but I will send you a PM and try to set something up, thanks for the offer!!!!!

That's OK, I wasn't able to make it to Johns last weekend anyway.

An 18 mm allen driver is what i used and an impact allen remember the sn driver on the bolts on the bottom i dont remember the size.

Rhoy

Well, I don't know how you fit an 18 mm in there, I went and bought an 18 mm and it DID NOT FIT! Took it back and got a 17 mm and it fit like a glove! I've heard that a 3/4 " would work also, but the 17 mm was perfect! I reused the stock spacers per the Progressive instructions and 20 weight fork oil and it feels alot better than the stock setup!

Back