'97 Max owners question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
I was looking at a lower triple from a '97 on ebay and noticed a bolt on the right side instead of the regular steering stop nub. Wrote the guy asking if the stop had been broken and built back up with a bolt....he said no, that all '97 Max's had a bolt on the right side for a stop.

Frankly, I'm finding it pretty hard to believe that Yamaha would change their whole lower triple casting process (and increase production costs) to install a bolt on the right side of only the '97 lower triples.

'96's and '99's didn't have a bolt.....:ummm:
This is total bullshit....right?

Can some of you '97 owners check this out? Thanks

Oops....looks like it's the left side! :worthy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-YAMAHA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0390a9bf&vxp=mtr

First off, shame on you spying for yet another Max to add to your fleet. While I do not have your definitive answer, I must say, "good catch" or "good eye" on that one. Second, it does sound like a good way to fix a broken stop. Grind everything flat, drill for a big allen head bolt. Lastly, if it is just one side it total BS and you I have been atound Maxes long enough to hear about every myth, urban legend, fib or lie and that is a new one to me!
That's when I discount EVERYTHING" the seller has told me or tells me to make a sale. Did you ask if his day job was used car salesman?

First off, shame on you spying for yet another Max to add to your fleet. While I do not have your definitive answer, I must say, "good catch" or "good eye" on that one. Second, it does sound like a good way to fix a broken stop. Grind everything flat, drill for a big allen head bolt. Lastly, if it is just one side it total BS and you I have been atound Maxes long enough to hear about every myth, urban legend, fib or lie and that is a new one to me!
That's when I discount EVERYTHING" the seller has told me or tells me to make a sale. Did you ask if his day job was used car salesman?

Haha....actually I just happened to be looking at lower triples on fleabay....oddly, there are 3 or 4 for sale and every one has a broken stop....the other sellers acknowledged the damage but this one guy never mentioned it so I asked him.

Yes, it is a good way to fix a sheared off stop. After some deep thought, I believe this is a 'give peice' designed by Yamaha to be the weak link in case the front end takes a lateral hit. Sallymax had the same problem and that's how I fixed it....but used a square headed bolt so it would match a little better.

Yeah, sellers can spin some tall tales to help the sale!! :eusa_liar:

Always loved the guy who had his bike listed as "Professionally Owned!" I asked him what that meant, he said......."I'm a doctor!" :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

It's not stock. Possibly could have been for something like a steering dampener though it would not be nearly strong enough. The tank cover from that same seller is dinged up so it could have been an added stopping point though it's on the wrong side of the stop for that.

It doesn't look broken off unless the bolt goes all the way through to hold the chunk back on. We have repaired a number of lowers with welding up the stop and recoating the triple to look like new again (though usually black in color for most people).

One thing to be aware of is that sometimes (not always) it bends the main bearing shaft and then the dang thing rides down the road with the bars cocked. It's very difficult to see this kind of damage.

I do happen to have a nice complete fork set from I want to say a 2002-2005 (forks and triples). I think it's got one seal leaking but i can use my super duper seal tool and fix that or install new seals and even progressive springs (or racetech if that's preferred).

Sean

From the ad now:
THIS HAS A DAMAGED STEERING STOP.
IT HAS BEEN REPAIRED WITH A BOLT.
I WANT TO THANK THE PERSON WHO POINTED
THIS OUT AND WE ARE SORRY WE
DIDN'T LOOK CLOSER WHEN WE
FIRST PUT THIS ON EBAY.

Latest posts

Back