Air pressure in front fork

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98jpvmax

Reaction score
Just curious i just was staring at my bike and figured id check the air in shocks, they were both at about 0psi so i added some air and it doesnt take much to get them to take thats for sure i put them both at 11psi, but i also noticed when i went to put air in some water came out the nozzle is this a indication of a leak some where maybe? and if there was a leak where would be the best place to start looking? it was tough getting both the same when putting air in also i noticed i would just keep putting the air pressure gauge on and off until they went down to the same, havent driven it yet to see if there is any difference but will shorlty.

No it doesn't, and most of us don't use air. The forks must be hanging with no load, and a hand pump is best. A lot of seals have been ruined doing this wrong. Progressive recommends no air with their springs. I though it felt very hard with air, then went progressive springs. Fork oil is a sponge for moisture. Lot's of guys using different oils or changing often. ATF used here.
Steve-o

I used to run mine around 7-8psi before I installed Progressive springs myself. I think the manual say's to not exceed 12 psi as you risk blowing them out past that...
Regards,
R

I think 5-6 psi is the most you'll ever want. I had progressive springs in my '86 and also ran 0 psi at all times.

It's normal for a bit of moisture to come out of the valves.

Ya i believe they are just factory forks all the way around, so when you go Progressive there is no longer any air pressure involved i take it? how much is a conversion does it make a big difference? lot better control and dampening?:ummm:

I looked on E bay prices seem to be $75- 100 bucks for Progressive spring set up does sound about right?

Yea that's about right - although check out the Progressive website or even better, support our best service man and buy them from Sean Morley.

Progressive are a fantastic upgrade on the front - much better all round.

Another great (IMHO) improvement, which can simply be dropped under the OEM springs, are the Ricor Intimators - just drop 'em in, springs on top and 5W oil - amazing how much better the front end goes.

On my '86 I had both - prog springs and intimators, and was totally happy.

Add a good fork brace and your good to go. I got a voucher when I bought 440's for the rear. Fork springs were free with new 440's, $159 total. Who could resist? Ron Eyers one time deal I think. The deal was spotted by Eagle Eye Garrett. The great recourser on this site, moderator, and all around good guy. While I'm at it a BIG THANKS to Gary, and ALL of the moderators. They keep this site running, sane, and the best on the internet.:clapping:
Steve-o

Ya i will for sure buy stuff from guys on here first, id like to get new rears also if i do the front springs also, but all it takes is $$$$ i guess

It very possible that Progressive still do the free (or heavily discounted) fork springs when you buy a pair of new rear shocks.
The shocks are, unfortunately, quite pricey new.

Add a good fork brace and your good to go. I got a voucher when I bought 440's for the rear. Fork springs were free with new 440's, $159 total. Who could resist? Ron Eyers one time deal I think. The deal was spotted by Eagle Eye Garrett. The great recourser on this site, moderator, and all around good guy. While I'm at it a BIG THANKS to Gary, and ALL of the moderators. They keep this site running, sane, and the best on the internet.:clapping:
Steve-o

np bud. it was dennis kirk that had the deal...

+1, I run Progessive springs, Ricor intiminators, 10 wt Silkolene fork oil, beefy fork brace from Python Motorsports. The springs were need badly for my '92 after I did my brake upgrade as they would bottom under even moderate to hard braking. The intiminators improved the fork action, esp. on longer, bumpy/ rolling corners. The fork braces to me seemed like they improved steering precision; at least on my '92 with the stock brace the steering corrections that I needed make were gone after I added the Python brace.

JP, new springs (progressive or racetech) make a HUGE difference. No need to worry about shocks at the same time. IMO, springs are one of the absolute best, bang for buck upgrades on this bike. I added intiminators afterwards and to be honest, was a little let down after all the hype. They did help but the impact was no where near as dramatic as the springs IMO.

JP, new springs (progressive or racetech) make a HUGE difference. No need to worry about shocks at the same time. IMO, springs are one of the absolute best, bang for buck upgrades on this bike. I added intiminators afterwards and to be honest, was a little let down after all the hype. They did help but the impact was no where near as dramatic as the springs IMO.

Ditto re the Progressive springs. You won't regret spending the money involved.
I added the springs six years ago. Unlike most folks, I did not cap off the air valves. Instead, I made a manifold system to fill them equally with air, with a built in pressure gauge. Filling is a snap via the one valve (with a bicycle pump), and over-pressurizing is easy to avoid, because of the doubling of the volume.
It's true that no air pressure is needed with the Progressive springs, but I like having the option of stiffening the front end some, for extended highway use. I usually keep about 5-8 psi. in the system. I use 15 weight fork oil.
The Kuryakin company used to offer a universal manifold kit for air shocks, check their website to see if it is still available.
Cheers!

Back