Any input on sound and performance with baffle drilled out?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what i did to my exhaust:

1/ Drilled the stock rivets out
2/ Drilled 1/2 holes between the rivet holes
3/ Double stacked washers over rivet holes
4/ Re-attach back plate with rivets

I like the sound, and it will do till i get my Tailgunner Gatlin Guns

Sounds good..

Just wondering.. If my bike was running on the lean side with stock pipes. (PO was running a kerker with my carbs) Which way would my mixture go now installing these pipes with the defector plate drilled out? Leaner?

Going from 100% stock to drilled can make it a bit richer.
I have just put in 147.5 mains, but can't comment on them yet.

Going from 100% stock to drilled can make it a bit richer.
I have just put in 147.5 mains, but can't comment on them yet.

That's good news since I'm running lean at the moment.

Thanks bazwell!

Ok I'm confused. Newbie here. I just got my 01 max yesterday and I love everything about it except for the sound. I'd like to get used to the bike before I spend the grip to modify it hardcore but I have to make it louder without screwing anything up. I'm a firm believer in "loud pipes save lives". I'm having trouble understanding what you guys are doing to your stock pipes, drilling this and cutting that. I'm going to go take mine apart and see if I can figure something out. Out of all of them that I listened to, "yankee in texas'" sounded the best to me. That last clip anyway. If I'm going to have to rejet then so be it. If I can modify the stockers without rejetting, I'd like to try that first. Thanks

IMHO , I would get a used set of supertrapps before I would gut the stockers . You will ( I think ) like the sound much better and can re-sell 'em to someone else when you make the leap to headers & jetting . Have you heard 'em yet ?

I don't think I've heard those yet. Any suggestions where I could pick some up cheap? Knowing my personality, I'm sure I will want to eventually rejet, headers, the whole nine yards. I'm just not ready to make that commitment yet. It took me two years to decide to put a slip on on my FZ1. Although, I may also decide on leaving it stock if I find some slip ons that I really like. Like I said, I just bought it yesterday and I can't believe how much it's bothering me how quiet it is. Hate to say it but I probably won't even bother riding it to work in Tulsa traffic. These idiots scare me and I want them to hear me coming and going.

The stockers drilled and recapped end plates IMO sounds better than stock to a point. They sound good under power but I liked it less than stock at idle. It also seemed to lose something on the power side of things. In retrospect I should have preserved the stock pipes but now that I have my Mark's exhaust the stockers will never go back on.

Latest posts

Back