Asshole Dad of the year award-To me

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
I hesitated to post this due to the embarassment, but thought maybe others could learn from it.

I trailered the bike to Bandera last weekend, drove through Austin and picked up my 23 year old daughter Danielle, she was really looking forward to this ride. We have not ridden much together, maybe 100 miles total in the past.

Being nervous due to the ATV accident my 14 y. o. Ryan earleir this year, and also due to not riding much for the last year and a half, I stayed in the back with our "drag rider" out of 20+ bikes all day long and really took it slow and easy, trying to be extra careful with my daughter on board.

Leaving a stop sign in Leakey Texas I took off too vigorously without warning my daughter first, we'd gone all day and she seemed to be picking up on all the cues involved in the riding game and I didn't think she needed a heads up, and I wasn't thinking right to say the least.

25 mph in first gear she slid off the back of my Vmax, landed on her feet and then did a belly flop/face plant....I felt it happening and actually SAW it in my rear view mirror, and still see it every time I close my eyes as clear as day.

She was wearing a good jacket (two actually), boots and gloves, as well as a 3/4 helmet with face shield. She only had jeans on below the waist.

She took a good hit and deep abrasion on one knee, but internally the knee is fine. Her hands and the rest of her body are OK except her face.

Basically her face slammed into the face shield of her helmet, broke one tooth and took stitches in her lips and chin. Plus she got a knot on her head bad enough to get life flighted due to concern over brain trauma. She never lost consciousness. All the Cat scans, MRI's and x-rays passed and they kept her over night for observation. A plastic surgeon did the stitches.

She's going to need restorative dentistry, her face is black and blue and swollen, and she's sore as hell but is going to be OK.

Took all this week off to stay with her here in Austin and make sure she can handle all the things she does and get her to all the followup Dr visits, and maybe re-earn her trust.

I'm a lucky man she's ok, but I think two life flights for my girls in one year is a sign.

Don't know that I'll ever ride again at this point.....

Not looking for any words of sympathy, I don't deserve them, this accident was 100% my fault.

A trust was broken...............by me and my actions.......

I just would like to point out that the instinctive rider/passenger teamwork bond is not that instinctive, it's something that comes with time, and that someone on the back of your bike is placing thier life in YOUR hands. Don't forget it, and don't ever trust them to "KNOW" what to do, it's your responsibility; as it was mine....

In addition to that 1/2 helmet 3/4 helmets suck, 99% of her damage would not have happened had she been wearing a proper fitting full face helmet, and I too had the chance to put the kibosh on that and go buy a proper helmet

Attachments

• face.jpg
    face.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 112
Rusty, I'm sorry this happened Bro. I'm glad your daughter wan't hurt worse. I have one the same age and would rather I took a hit than her. You feel the same. Be good to yourself and don't let this eat you up more than it has. You're there for her and the most important thing to remember is-IT WAS AN ACCIDENT. Zero malicious intent!
Chin -up,
Steve-o

I could tell you not to beat yourself up too badly over it but it's too late for that, I would probally feel the same way myself, I'm sure you and your daughter love each other very much and she knows it was unintentional, the fact that you took time off to meet her needs will not only show your love but strengthen your relationship!.........Give it a little time Rusty, her wounds will heal along with yours, I'll bet if you picked up a backrest she would ride with ya again!.........:biglaugh:..........Take care my friend, and thanks for sharing..........And no, your not an asshole................Tom.

Wow, something like that can change family dynamics forever! I am glad to hear she is no-worse than that. I wear a full-face helmet, gloves & boots nearly-all the time I ride, always a helmet, though when I last was at the mechanic's shop to see my bike, I didn't have one & didn't borrow one. I only went a couple of miles, but that could have done it.

Revealing your error to us takes courage, and I hope that you don't have to stop riding. I pray for your daughter's full recovery, I know she will have the results of this her whole life, thank God it wasn't worse. Take care of the family. You learned some painful lessons.

Rusty, it was a unfortunate mistake man, nothing intentional, no asshole stunts involved.....just a mistake.

I feel awful this happened to you after the year you've had but, give yourself some room man, you didn't do anything wrong!

Rusty, last thing that you are, after reading this, is an asshole. An asshole would have blame her for not hanging on etc...

Your doing what you need to do after this happened, blame yourself, taking time off to take care of your daughter and sharing with others to remind us how fast accidents can happen.

Take care of yourself and your daughter, that's what's important right now.

Mike

yah dude, accidents happen. all the best for a speedy recovery. I applaud your courage as well for telling this story. my wife has a 3/4 helmet and ive been nervous about it. this clinches it. thank you and dont beat yourself up much pal, its okay to feel bad but ill bet she doesnt blame you one bit.

take care!

peace,
evan...

Wow..glad shes ok tho.
BUT ..sorry theres a but.
Always..well i always tell my passenger..after EVERY stop and im ready to go.."READY?"
And i ride with a passesnger like someones gramma..not even vmax worthy...
Im just sayin what i do. hate me if you want..cuz that is the scariest thing ever.

Just remember..it was just an accident. No ill intentions...and im glad that shes ok. (i got a 16 yr old daughter).
you Will ride again. and remember that it is YOUR responsibility to ba sure.they are.hangin on. ;)

Get a backrest maybe...
sorry i sound so blunt ...but ya know..i know you understand everytthing now.

So glad everythings ok.

best wishes.
T$

I copy and pasted your story to an email i just sent my son. I know he is responsible with his GF on the back, but hearing it from someone else and through their story, it will help get the message across.

Rusty,

I feel for you and your daughter, that was a bad deal, but in time you both will heal,,,take it easy on yourself as much as you can,,and yes,,,maybe time to give up riding. BTW I wear a helmet like what your daughter had on, so I learned from your post.

My own personal thing,,,I do not do group rides,,I think they invite trouble for a few reasons,,,another, I do no riders, never, it is deadly enough with me on it let alone another and the extra problem of handling with a rider.

I also dislike the term hooligans, that bothers me, like you are courting disaster and proud of it,,we need less of death and injury associated with riding motorcycles.

My Best,

O

Rusty, words escape me. Asshole you may think but not in my opinion. As has been noted shit happens and you try and prepare for that and sometimes that prep isn't good enough. "Not good enough is relative". To me she's alive and will have this simply as a memory. It could be far far worse.

Anything but a full helmet is just asking for shit like this to happen if you have to use it. BUT, rarely do people even make sure their full face fits correctly. I have seen first hand a full face helmet come off even with the chin strap in place correctly. Search for a roll off test to see what the proper way of testing is.

Anyway, sharing this is good for everyone. Makes a believer to those that know you in their thinking this won't happen to me.

Best wishes,
Sean

Wow, I can't imagine how bad you must feel, but if I were in your shoes, I think I would give up riding too. Somethings in life are just more important that riding motorcycles. I hope your daughter forgives you soon.

All I can say I am speachless..... :( You still have your beautiful daughter though, just remember that. Angels were with both of you that day and lets just thank GOD they were. Your experience has slowed all of our crazy thoughts of going fast. Knowing that this has happened to you makes me think more than twice about anything that I will do when my wife or my daughter are on the back. Rusty , hugs and pats on your back thank GOD everything is good and she will recover. From one Vmax brother to another.

G

Dang Bro, can't believe it. When dating my wife in 86, I ripped off a quick 90 mph burst without telling her and scared her pretty good. She still rode with me afterward and really appreciated the factory back rest. Anymore, I don't want her on back and have changed two Maxes to solo set ups. I Know, if I want to tear it up, I don't think twice about it and if time and conditions are right, I let er rip. you know we aren't too old to learn hard lessons. Don't give up the ride man. Learn and get wise as you can. I got three full face helmets. One half helmet for putting on the HD Classic which ain't no reason to to be half exposed.
Your sharing might have just changed someone for the safer and prevent a future accident.
PATMAX

I wouldn't use the word asshole. That vid of the guy pulling the front end up and dumping his GF off the back is an asshole. Your a loving dad who made a wrong assumption while out riding with his kid. I don't see anyone thinking any different. But I see a Homer award coming :)
Don't beat yourself up about it, She will heal and continue to love her father and now you two have a story to share and tell.

Bruises heal, and the best (not always the easiest) way to learn is the hard way. 1/2 or 3/4 helmet is better than none. Thankfully no life threatening injuries occurred.

Rusty , an Honest Mistake happened . Your daughter is going too be Ok and you did not do this on purpose. This happens , it sucks but does happen and too call yourself an asshole , NO , Human yes and we all make mistakes . The main thing is that she is going too be Ok. A few yrs. or sooner down the road you will both laugh at this .

Mike (maxcruiser) is right....an asshole would have said it wasn't his fault, but hers. I had my wife almost come off the back multiple times when I first bought the bike, which is 100% the reason I bought a backrest. Even when she knew I was gonna jump on it, she still couldn't hang on and I could feel her grip slipping away. The backrest takes away from the killer looks of the bike, but is a must if riding 2 up. Don't be too hard on yourself, accidents happen.

dude, i want to say what hasn't already been said, but all has already, so i'll reiterate. your not an asshole, only human. and like a proper gentleman and loving father, embraced the blame. you took all the precautions readily available to you and adjusted your driving style and habits per your past experience. you honestly thought she'd be ok and just wanted her to have fun. there will be a next time, dont worry 'bout that--she knows you didnt purposely pull the bike out from underneath her, so her trust in you will be restored in due time.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Latest posts

Back