Battery Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackjack

Reaction score
Battery Question

[FONT=&quot]I purchased a PC680 ODYSSEY Drycell Battery in 2010. This was supposed to be the cat's meow back in that year. Very heavy though (16 lbs) nearly twice what the OEM battery was. Lots of cranking amps and still works like new at the moment. However; I am probably pushing its life expectancy for 5 years of use. So I am in the market for another Gen 1 battery and would like to get some recommendations on a dependable and long life motorcycle battery. Cold weather in Houston, TX does not really exists hear so that will not be a choice factor. Been looking at the Shorai LEX lithium Iron. So please chime in and give me your thoughts. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]

I'd go light if price were no concern. There are so many choices. But, I've done a lot of things to make my ride lighter, exhaust, wheels, me...lol, and still have a heavy battery. You can't beat the USB 22 ah battery for price/performance. But, the newer lithium batteries are powerful and light. 5 years is good for any battery. I never got more than a season or so from the lead acid types. I think I'm on my 4th year with the USB, and paid about $55 shipped.
Steve-o

^ I agree with Steve-o, the 420 CCA - 22Ah APX12220 (same as the UB12220) is a Great battery for the money (around $50 shipped).
http://www.apexbattery.com/apex-battery-apx12220-12-volt-22-ah-battery.html

I have a UB12180 I bought from Apex batteries and it is 9 years old and still works well.
I went through 2 OEM wet cell YUASA's in 5 years before I bought the UB12180 and this thing simply refuses to die.
But when it does die I will buy an APX12220 to replace it.

I use the Li-ion batteries but the Apex sounds like the 'best bang for the buck.' The Panasonic is similar in owner happiness from posts on the forum. Lead-acid is so Twentieth-Century!

^ I agree with Steve-o, the 420 CCA - 22Ah APX12220 (same as the UB12220) is a Great battery for the money (around $50 shipped).
http://www.apexbattery.com/apex-battery-apx12220-12-volt-22-ah-battery.html

I have a UB12180 I bought from Apex batteries and it is 9 years old and still works well.
I went through 2 OEM wet cell YUASA's in 5 years before I bought the UB12180 and this thing simply refuses to die.
But when it does die I will but an APX12220 to replace it.

Battery Question

[FONT=&quot]I purchased a PC680 ODYSSEY Drycell Battery in 2010. This was supposed to be the cat's meow back in that year. Very heavy though (16 lbs) nearly twice what the OEM battery was. Lots of cranking amps and still works like new at the moment. However; I am probably pushing its life expectancy for 5 years of use. So I am in the market for another Gen 1 battery and would like to get some recommendations on a dependable and long life motorcycle battery. Cold weather in Houston, TX does not really exists hear so that will not be a choice factor. Been looking at the Shorai LEX lithium Iron. So please chime in and give me your thoughts. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]

420 cold cranking amps---http://www.apexbattery.com/ub1220-12v-22ah-battery.html

Do the Gold Wing .battery box mod you can find here, and get a good AGM battery for a Gold Wing 1200..
Sure, it's a bit heavier than stock, but you can bet that you'll have a lot more power than the stock battery. A few pounds more weight with 120 horsepower is not noticeable, at least I never noticed any difference..

Blackjack

Your quote "I am probably pushing its life expectancy for 5 years of use."

My '2001 V-max, put a PC680 in '2003, still there, charging/starting fine
My '1985 V-max, put a PC680 in '2005, still there, charging/starting fine
My '1986 Fazer, put a Odyssey Battery (don't remember the model #) in '2006, still there, charging/starting fine.
I have never used a trickle charger on any of the Odyssey's
Just my experience with the Odyssey's

Blackjack

My '1986 Fazer, put a Odyssey Battery (don't remember the model #) in '2006, still there, charging/starting fine.
Excellent point.
A lot of guys have had the Odyssey PC680 last 10 years or more.

Blackjack

+1
can't remember how long I've had my odyssey but it's been at least 5 years.

A guy I Know has a Shorai in his off road bike. I asked him how he likes it & he said he loves it. It's taken a beaten & went threw 2 bikes now & still going strong. :boxing00:

10 years is proof of superior quality. I also am not a trickle charger fan. that's a lead acid thing.
My USB holds a charge for a while. The only time I charge my battery is when new before install, and if I leave the key on by accident.
oops.gif

Okay, now you got me thinking if I need to replace, so has anyone with a PC-680 ever had one died on them before 10 years?

Okay, now you got me thinking if I need to replace, so has anyone with a PC-680 ever had one died on them before 10 years?
my first Odyssey PC-680 lasted 8 years in my 1988 vmax, the second PC-680 lasted 3 years, the last one only lasted 2 years. I read somewhere online that they use to be a higher lead content than now thus the short life. Anyway I won't be buying any more

SHORAI, I first bought one in 2012, another in 2015.
I keep them both on a regular maintainer.
One is in my Vmax, the other used when needed, bikes
atv's etc.

my first Odyssey PC-680 lasted 8 years in my 1988 vmax, the second PC-680 lasted 3 years, the last one only lasted 2 years. I read somewhere online that they use to be a higher lead content than now thus the short life. Anyway I won't be buying any more
Bought an Odyssey for the car based on past long life for the bike battery. Just crapped out right under 3 years..luckily shop gave me a new one under 3 year warranty but then learned it was a pro-rated warranty (which he had never heard of) but gave it to me anyway. I think I will stay away from Odyssey as well

Bought an Odyssey for the car based on past long life for the bike battery. Just crapped out right under 3 years..luckily shop gave me a new one under 3 year warranty but then learned it was a pro-rated warranty (which he had never heard of) but gave it to me anyway. I think I will stay away from Odyssey as well
Same here, new PC-680 last year and no where near as good now at holding a charge in cold weather. Last one that lasted about 8 years. Something has changed for sure.

Back