Cadillac POS

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
I think I mentioned before what a pile of crap the SRX my wife has is.

Its been in the shop more times than we can even begin to count for many reasons, mostly relating to computer software issues that are so invasive they reach into every crevice of vehicle function and foul it up; Even down to trying to open the fucking doors or roll the windows down, deciding how hot or cold you want it, deciding what gear to be in at various throttle opening etc.

Every time they update the software with a new Revision Issued from Cadillac it caused a new problem, giving me the feeling that Cadillac is struggling with the problems themselves.

They are trying to do way too much fancy shit as far as I'm concerned. Her Infinity FX35 racked up 130,000 and never went to the dealer one single time except for oil changes and it was plenty "fancy" in my redneck opinion.

At this point I'm hoping most the issues are resolved (fingers crossed)

The dealership has been just as embarrassed as we are pissed off; And has been great to deal with and has given her a loaner every time its been in.

Her warranty was about to expire at 50,000 miles.

Cadillac (not the dealer) just issued Michelle a bumper to bumper one year, 15,000 mile warranty extension, and also offered to trade it for "a vehicle of equal value" if that's what she wanted.
I know how messy that could get as far as determining "equal value"...don't really want to go there.

While not happy with the car I will say I'm happy with the dealer and Caddy for standing behind it.

I'm just not sure now whether to keep it or enter into the whole fiasco of the "equal value" determination. I guess I have a year or 15,000 to make up my mind.

What would y'all do??

Trade it, it's not going to get better and they know it . Sounds like they would work with you on the value

Honestly IMO the Cadillacs aren't completely horrible cars... To me it would depend on what they determine the value of the car to be. If they will work with you on getting another one then I'd say go for it. It seems like your dealing mainly with creature comfort issues or electronic problems. Not really mechanical issues. Now the Asian luxury cars are LIGHTYEARS ahead of the American cars as far as reliability and overall functionality. Perhaps that dealer sells Asian luxury cars as well and will work with you??

Just some thoughts.

I'm a mechanic. I work on everything from caddy's to saabs to toyotas...
Cadillacs are crap. Electrical problems, engine problems, transmission problems, differentials that are made of glass, etc. it's gonna get worse if you keep it, trust me. That being said, my car is a Cadillac. It has had an inordinate amount of electronic issues, differential issues, and everything rubber (bushings and mounts) came apart in less than 50k. I knew of these problems beforehand, and only purchased it because it's a cts-v, and has a gm ls2 and t-56 trans. It's a hot rod, and I knew I'd be throwing upgrades at it anyhow. I wouldn't even be comfortable buying a regular Cadillac for the purpose of reselling it to make profit because I'd know I was screwing someone. Also, Cadillacs don't hold their value as well as a frickin pinto, and insurance is sky high comparatively. My car is an 06 which was worth around 60k new, now it's worth 18k in perfect shape and low miles. That's an average of a 6k loss per year, and that's on a low production "desirable" vehicle.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I felt the same way about caddy. My patents owned them, I've owned them, and in truth whatever they were putting out in any given decade was right inline with overall GM quality for the given time period. Good or Bad.

I think the CT'S-V is an absolutely fantastic car, but like has been said its carrying the corporate GM driveline. (Chevy if you will)

The car has had zero mechanical problems except for the transmission control system which was an electronic/ software issue.

It has the 3.6 V6 in it. Which I thing is also a "corporate" engine so to speak.

I'm going to explore what they consider a fair swap and see where it takes us. Just don't want to have them treat it like a "trade in" valuation.

As far as depreciation, yeah Caddy is worse than most but NO new vehicle is an investment, that's for sure. I generally buy cars to keep and personally have never bought a new vehicle fir myself, I consider them a tool to be bought as cheaply as possible, 10.000 mike vehicles are bought at 3/4 sticker easily.

My wife sees it differently, she wants her new car every 5 years and considering how reasonable she is about everything else (she HATES to shop, is happy in a home thats worth half of what most of my peers making the same money are in, and appreciates the value if being a stay at home mom etc) I can't say no.

My brother has an 04 deville with 83,000 miles on it with the northstar engine. it blew a head gasket last week and the dealer wants $7500 to do the job. He ended up talking them down to $6000 and they're gonna do both gaskets while they're in there. I was researching what the job entails and Holy Shit what a pain in the ass. I've been driving my Subaru back and forth to work since 1997 and it runs like a top and STILL has ice cold air.

My Dad had problems with his cady also said he would rather have my old vega . Personally I would do the swap of course I would check if that included a yamaha dealer for a new gen 2 but your wife probably wouldn't go for that I guess . Do the swap it will never get better . (lemons are lemons)

Cadillacs are Total Crap........................ TOO MANY STUPID INNOVATIONS..

My Dad had problems with his cady also said he would rather have my old vega . Personally I would do the swap of course I would check if that included a yamaha dealer for a new gen 2 but your wife probably wouldn't go for that I guess . Do the swap it will never get better . (lemons are lemons)

You have a vega ? What year ? And does it have a small block in it yet ?

NO more vega for me that was few years back. It was a 74' gt steel sleeved four cylinders 12 to 1 piston's Weber 300's . headers . sold it to help fund corvette that I had my eye on . It was a fun car especially fold down back seat .

NO more vega for me that was few years back. It was a 74' gt steel sleeved four cylinders 12 to 1 piston's Weber 300's . headers . sold it to help fund corvette that I had my eye on . It was a fun car especially fold down back seat .
Vega brings back memories. I still have a cosworth vega sitting in the garage. I wonder what it would be worth :ummm:

As for the Cadillac I suggest you take the car and get a different one. To many electrical problems.

Vega, too funny... brings back memories of a high school friend who put a 289 from a mustang in his! I will never forget coming off a red light (I was in a car ahead) and watching him make that thing go sideways! I was like ohh crap! LOL

I have not known anyone with a caddy but have heard of nothing but problems as well...trade it if you can....and good luck.

Didn't really want to hear that you had the 3.6 l motor. Wife has an 06 Equinox sport with the same motor. 40 k miles and no probs. She loves it. Actually handles and is much lighter than tha Caddy so it has some scoot for a mini SUV.

Lew

I miss my Vega's both of mine had small blocks with 4 speeds. I used to go thru some tires.

Didn't really want to hear that you had the 3.6 l motor. Wife has an 06 Equinox sport with the same motor. 40 k miles and no probs. She loves it. Actually handles and is much lighter than tha Caddy so it has some scoot for a mini SUV.

Lew

The engine has given no problems at all. Its all software and computer bull shit

I think the Monzas were very cool.

My old copy of the GM book "how to hot rod small and big block Chevy's" which is an actual GM publication telling you specifically how to build the hell out of their motors, has the last 1/4 of it dedicated to setting up the suspension on the Monzas for road course racing....

Latest posts

Back